British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   best/worst aspects of living in U.S (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-worst-aspects-living-u-s-673870/)

meauxna Jun 24th 2010 11:55 pm

Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8654995)
Best:

Home Depot

I am really starting to wonder about you.... :huh:

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 12:01 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8655480)
I am really starting to wonder about you.... :huh:

It is hands down the best store on the face of the earth...next to M&S..

meauxna Jun 25th 2010 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8655490)

It is freakin' HELL on Earth! And don't you try to tell me differently.. I was in there yesterday.
(and don't tell anyone, but M&S actually let me down last time I shopped in one of their stores too :( )

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 12:08 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8655501)
It is freakin' HELL on Earth! And don't you try to tell me differently.. I was in there yesterday.
(and don't tell anyone, but M&S actually let me down last time I shopped in one of their stores too :( )

Its cos your a girl dear...havent you seen all the men wandering around aimlessly buying all sorts of stuff they will never use....what joy...

Oh..the shame of it...disparaging marks and sparks...Im tellin my mum!!!!

p.s. Im a bigtime gardener and the local HD has a great nursery...thats where I spend all my time..:D

meauxna Jun 25th 2010 12:18 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8655509)
p.s. Im a bigtime gardener and the local HD has a great nursery...thats where I spend all my time..:D

Me too, but surely you can do better than that! :D
We'll have to start a new topic for this... :)

traceym Jun 25th 2010 12:26 am

I am sooooooo with Mea, you are CRAZY!

Bob Jun 25th 2010 12:41 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8654919)
...Ben & Jerry's;.....

Has to be Giffords....Ben and Jerrys, the last two tubs I've gotten from them, the saying "through a keyhole", more like through a gnats urethra it was that bad.

Bob Jun 25th 2010 12:42 am

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys (Post 8654989)
Maybe the common factor then is you...

She has a point though, generally, driving here is much more scarier...just don't flick people off as they have guns down here :D

traceym Jun 25th 2010 12:48 am

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys (Post 8654759)
A quick survey, if I may.

(know this is a generalisation, but I found drivers more courteous,

:eek: Where do you live?

Jerseygirl Jun 25th 2010 1:32 am

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 8655568)
:eek: Where do you live?

Certainly not in NJ or any other state I've been to. Although I will say NJ drivers are courteous to pedestrians...they tend to slow down and let you cross. Drivers in the UK do the opposite when they see you crossing...they put their foot to the pedal (especially taxi and bus drivers). :D

traceym Jun 25th 2010 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8655622)
Certainly not in NJ or any other state I've been to. Although I will say NJ drivers are courteous to pedestrians...they tend to slow down and let you cross. Drivers in the UK do the opposite when they see you crossing...they put their foot to the pedal (especially taxi and bus drivers). :D

When I first started driving here DH said, do what you want BUT AVOID pedestrians, if you do hit one make sure you kill them! ;)

Juswus Jun 25th 2010 1:49 am

I love it too :)
I get really pleased when I have to go and buy a new picture hanging hook or something like that. I could spend hours browsing the aisles.

Best

Americans will compliment you when you have something nice. eg, a fancy car (In UK they tend to call you a twat and vandalise it) (no experience of this, I drive a minivan, but I've noticed it a lot)

New York City.

Autumn

People actually will stop and help you (well here in Maine anyway)

Worst

Summer
Winter
Mosquitos the size of birds
Blackfly
Constantly having to explain myself and where I come from and why.
Having to work in the same job for 3 years before getting 2 weeks holiday
All the drink driving

HEALTHCARE! It's just taken us 2 years to pay off the last time hubby had a hospital visit. And now in the last month I had a doctors visit and 3 hospital visits. The bills haven't started coming in yet, but it will run into the $ thousands I am guessing (and that's WITH insurance)

Ash UK/US Jun 25th 2010 3:12 am

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys (Post 8654989)
Maybe the common factor then is you...

Could be it is... because I don't drive with my rose tinted glasses on and actually observe the people around me that drive like idiots.

BTW where are you located I would be interested to know if others on this board from you area hold the same opinion.

Manc Jun 25th 2010 3:21 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8655509)
p.s. Im a bigtime gardener

uphill?

Steerpike Jun 25th 2010 3:45 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8655501)

You should try the one at Shea and 101 in Scottsdale, AZ ... it's like every Home Depot should be - an abundance of staff patrolling the aisles offering to help you! I suspect this is due to the collapse of the housing market here, though, and only a matter of time before they close up shop! But still - good while it lasts!