Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Certainly not in NJ or any other state I've been to. Although I will say NJ drivers are courteous to pedestrians...they tend to slow down and let you cross. Drivers in the UK do the opposite when they see you crossing...they put their foot to the pedal (especially taxi and bus drivers).
I think it is fair to say, the pace of driving here is easier / slower, and the stress level is lower. Driving in UK is f**king intense! Last time I was back there, I was in the slow lane doing 75 (in some noisy, bouncy econobox), with a guy on my tail all the time. If I tried to put some space in front of me, it was immediately stolen, and if I dared to move into the middle lane, I'd have some boy-racer on my tail big time, flashing lights and blowing horn even though I was passing someone else.

Here, the quality of driving is far worse. The net result is that you have a lot of mellowed-out drivers doing stupid things, and thus, overall, it's still dangerous. But given the two choices, I'll drive here any day (west coast, specifically).
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karin_and_boys
A quick survey, if I may.

What I liked best about living in U.S:
general politeness of society (know this is a generalisation, but I found drivers more courteous, teens more verbal and friendly, generally a bit less aggressive than Uk society

trying to keep this balanced, 5 for each side! Would be interested in your likes/dislikes

Thanks,
Karin.
Originally Posted by Manc
Ok.

why are you telling us this? We live here already and know the USA has lots of space.
To the OP - you have to understand, Manc is simply reinforcing your point. He, as a Brit, must exhibit aggression and a lack of courtesy, thereby validating your assertion
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
Worst has to be cost of health care and fear of potential bankrupcy form a major illness or accident. I couldn't ever see many major negatives.

Best: weather; positive can-do attitude (yes, at the extreme end it can be a bit tedious); general politeness and friendliness/openness to strangers; customer service; easier to drive; far better work culture (in my profession; I know it's the opposite in a lot of others); lower cost of living (mainly due to low mortgage); grits; cheap(er) Ben & Jerry's; and of course weather ...

You and I must be long lost twins ... other than Grits, I could have written this myself
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:16 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Can I point out that Jim Rome is a tool.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think it is fair to say, the pace of driving here is easier / slower, and the stress level is lower. Driving in UK is f**king intense!
A visit to the East coast will change you of that opinion
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:35 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
It is hands down the best store on the face of the earth...next to M&S..
Its' f***ing awful, and has the worst customer service of any store in the US hands down.

Originally Posted by Juswus
I love it too
Americans will compliment you when you have something nice. eg, a fancy car (In UK they tend to call you a twat and vandalise it) (no experience of this, I drive a minivan, but I've noticed it a lot)
That is very true I am now starting to get used to it, and not being shocked everytime someone says 'cute sweater....'

Best
Being able to eat lunch outside most of the year
Kids summer camps
Having a pool in the back garden
Having some wonderful outdoor places to visit
Layed back driving
Halloween/Christmas decorations

Worst
It gets dark at 8.00pm even in summer
Lack of vacation
No half term breaks in schools, long, long summer breaks
Working conditions
Lack of humour in the workplace
Too hot to enjoy any of the outside places 5 months of the year
Fires actually being a weather condition, and f***ing scary
Old Jun 25th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

I've drive around most of the west coast and have to say apart from the cities, I think drivers are slower and more courteous. Cities however are a completely different animal all together, especially LA. LA nose to tail at 65mph seems to be the norm!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Best

1.No half term, long breaks in between (means I can pack the oldest off to London once a year and be done with it!)
2. Turning right on red.
3. Outlet stores
4. Macys
5. Our Infiniti FX35

Worst
1. Lack of Saveloys, salt and vinegar crisps
2. Lack of vacation time
3. Not enough Jamaicans/Brits where I live
4. At Will employment
5. Poor dental coverage
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:49 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I dont appreciate all the Home Depot bashing going on here...especially from all you girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Best:
4 distinct seasons
Whole Foods/Trader Joe's
cheap petrol
Hallowe'en
school buses

Worst:
Beaurocracy - takes an age to get anything done
Banking - so far behind the UK
No decent curry restaurants
Long summer school holidays
Lack of annual leave - have to work for years to build 2 weeks leave!
Appalling TV - adverts every 10 minutes
bugs/snakes
over the top on religion ( especially where we live!)
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

RCKC is an unknown quantity at this point

Best:
Ranch Dressing
Cheap Petrol
Friendly Service
Higher Salaries - slightly more left after cost of living - suprised that a 6 figure salary doesnt give u a lot left after bills though
Excellent Hospitals for childbirth - Admittedly Leeds in the UK was f***ng appaling.

Worst:
Its too bloody hot n humid in Kansas
A general view of quantity over quality
Terrible TV (except HBO )
Bugs
Less annual leave and an unwritten rule to do an extra 20% onto of the 40 hour work week.
Some of the worst drivers I have ever seen (but I hear thats mostly a KC thing)
Crap Schools unless u pay 10k per year, per child to go private
Second hand cars that in the Uk would be 700 quid are closer to 5000$
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Best
3. Outlet stores
Agreed I love outlet malls
Originally Posted by AlienUk
4. Macys
Disagree, overpriced and over rated.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Agreed I love outlet malls
Disagree, overpriced and over rated.
You obviously don't have a Macy's card and coupons

I consistently buy stuff from there at 75 -90% off....have found NO other shop to be as low priced!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I find outlet malls mostly overrated...most of the stuff is made for the outlet stores. The rest you can usually get cheaper when the department stores have sales.

Saying that last summer I bought a pair of UGG wellies...sheepskin lined from toe to the cuff at the top for half price.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I find outlet malls mostly overrated...most of the stuff is made for the outlet stores. The rest you can usually get cheaper when the department stores have sales.

Saying that last summer I bought a pair of UGG wellies...sheepskin lined from toe to the cuff at the top for half price.
I normally use the coupons at outlet stores...or buy from the clearane racks there....Main ones I go to are the Hilfiger, Gap, Ralph Lauren and NIke stores...always found those ones to be cheaper than the department stores...also greater selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.