Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way of sending parcels to the UK?

Wikiposts

Best way of sending parcels to the UK?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best way of sending parcels to the UK?

I've got a parcel I'd like to send to the UK (birthday present) to arrive by, or near as dammit, Monday 3rd September.

Have looked up on the USPO website and got a fair idea of costs, but are there any other ways I should be exploring?

TIA

Mandana
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way of sending parcels to the UK?

Originally Posted by Mandana
I've got a parcel I'd like to send to the UK (birthday present) to arrive by, or near as dammit, Monday 3rd September.

Have looked up on the USPO website and got a fair idea of costs, but are there any other ways I should be exploring?

TIA

Mandana
try usps at the post office in the morning or fedex to be sure but will cost a bit more.

the place on mason is great for mailing things, i used them all the time..it's a proper post office but you wouldn't think of it from the outside, only a small sign. it's on the same side as HEB and between Highland Knolls and Kingsland Blvd located infront of storage units.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
try usps at the post office in the morning or fedex to be sure but will cost a bit more.

the place on mason is great for mailing things, i used them all the time..it's a proper post office but you wouldn't think of it from the outside, only a small sign. it's on the same side as HEB and between Highland Knolls and Kingsland Blvd located infront of storage units.

Thanks TruBrit. Is this the one you mean?

It says on the USPO website that sending online is cheaper than going into the PO, but it's what I know, so will do that. Need to wrap the presents first mind! Do they provide jiffy bags/boxes/brown paper/whatever, or do I need to do that first?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Thanks TruBrit. Is this the one you mean?

It says on the USPO website that sending online is cheaper than going into the PO, but it's what I know, so will do that. Need to wrap the presents first mind! Do they provide jiffy bags/boxes/brown paper/whatever, or do I need to do that first?

yes that's the one, i was just going to edit my post as i remembered it was called patricks lol!

yep they have it all inside and move you along much quicker than the larger post offices but you can wrap first if you'd sooner.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes that's the one, i was just going to edit my post as i remembered it was called patricks lol!

yep they have it all inside and move you along much quicker than the larger post offices
Great tip .. thanks ever-so for that. If anyone wants to stalk me, I'll be there around lunchtime!!

(I should be so lucky!)
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

dhl aren't to bad either...
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TruBrit .. your directions & description were totally spot on!

Much, much better than the USPS I had to endure up at Eldridge!

Thanks a million
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:22 am
Account Closed

TruBrit .. your directions & description were totally spot on!

Much, much better than the USPS I had to endure up at Eldridge!

Thanks a million

thought you'd find it handy...they used to have a little dog sitting behind the counter in his comfy looking chair, wonder if he's still there or maybe it was his day off when you went in
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:45 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, if you're ever sending stuff that's likely to be taxed by UK Customs (not gifts, usually), send it by USPS as Royal Mail is ime cheapest and easiest in passing on the duty costs. DHL and FedEx charge a huge admin fee and take ages!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

thought you'd find it handy...they used to have a little dog sitting behind the counter in his comfy looking chair, wonder if he's still there or maybe it was his day off when you went in
He's still there! Well he was when I went in the first time, but he wasn't there today. I think he might be the owner's dog?

They sent me away today as I had packaged up a parcel to send home in one of those plastic postage bags. They didn't like it - said their stamps wouldn't stick on the plastic! (wtf?) Wanted to put it in a box, but that would have cost substantially more in postage due to weight.

Sent me down to the one on Park Row which cost me an extra hour and 15 minutes in time

Oh well. I'll know for next time!

PS .. still can't send you Karma! What's that all about??

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
BTW, if you're ever sending stuff that's likely to be taxed by UK Customs (not gifts, usually), send it by USPS as Royal Mail is ime cheapest and easiest in passing on the duty costs. DHL and FedEx charge a huge admin fee and take ages!
Thanks for that. Will remember it for future reference.