Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best way to make money transfers to the US

Best way to make money transfers to the US

Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best way to make money transfers to the US

We are flying out to US in two week's time. It has taken us 8 weeks to open an HSBC account in the US using our current accounts with them. We have recently sold our house so would be looking to transfer the whole amount over. My options are

Using HSBC's transfer service - I think they charge 30 pounds for each transfer. But I am not sure what rate they will be using - their daily exchange rate or the bureau de change rate?
Using other currency broker such as the XE.com - we have already set up the account to transfer some money over to the future landlord. So far it has worked quite well for us.
PS, is there any tax declaration that we have to do for either UK or US government?

For other people who has recently immigrated, do you have to inform Inland Revenue, Child Benefits etc about the imminent move?

Thanks for any answers
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to make money transfers to the US

I'd use xe.com/ xetrade it'll cost less and you'll likely get a better rate than HSBC would give you, just be sure to selct electronic transfer at each end, if you select "wire" at the credit end in the US you may get stuck with a $25-$30 wire fee.

Sending a wire has no tax implications in either country, and the Inland Revenue has no interest in knowing that you are leaving, though if you have complex financial affairs, including possible CGT, you should probably keep your airline tickets to document when you left so taxes could be prorated if that were ever necessary. If you are receiving direct credits of Child Benefit you'll need to tell them to stop, but if you are collecting it yourself I don't think there's anything you need to do.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 10th 2013 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to have a search of past threads and browse the wiki...

As for tax, bank informs automatically on anything over $10K. Tax will depend on how long you've owned and all that capital gains stuff, but chances are there won't be any.

P-85 for Inland Rev.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you are receiving direct credits of Child Benefit you'll need to tell them to stop, but if you are collecting it yourself I don't think there's anything you need to do.
I told them two months ago to stop and they've made 3 payments since... they're not the quickest off the block in dealing with paperwork I have found.

+1 for XE - used it again this morning, should be in HSBC US tomorrow, maybe Saturday.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shullen
Using HSBC's transfer service - I think they charge 30 pounds for each transfer. But I am not sure what rate they will be using - their daily exchange rate or the bureau de change rate?
Using other currency broker such as the XE.com - we have already set up the account to transfer some money over to the future landlord. So far it has worked quite well for us.
aka: Highway robbery! Absurd
As for their exchange rate - it's based on GREED
Absolutely opt for XE - they can transfer it electronically directly into your HSBC account if that's where you'd like it to end up.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

shullen is an unknown quantity at this point

I have phoned up HSBC, XE and First Direct. It turned out that First Direct's rate is the best among all three. I bank with them and because the US account is with HSBC, they can convert using their live rate and doesn't have the 10k cap. Only thing is pound is really dropping value against dollar this week. So I am looking out for a slight increase of the rate before convert.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shullen
pound is really dropping value against dollar this week. So I am looking out for a slight increase of the rate before convert.
What goes down
Will go up
But when?
(vice versa/versa vice...ad infinitum...)

http://www.xe.com/news/2013/01/18/3162381.htm?c=1&t=
Wouldn't hold my breath
....wasn't aware of the drop this week....thanks, shullen, for the heads up
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

XE have a rate alert function if you want to wait. I don't know if you can do it without committing to a transfer though.