Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best VPN Service for using Iplayer etc

Best VPN Service for using Iplayer etc

Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best VPN Service for using Iplayer etc

Have been noticing that ExpatPat shield (free) is buffering the BBC Iplayer more and more. Have started looking into VPN services. Noticed some people mention StrongVPN. Is this a good one to use. On there website, they are offering a 1 year special of $55 for PPTP.

Does anyone know if they allow you to use multiple devices like an Iphone/IPOD, PC and laptop?

Are there any better ones to use? Will they be better than Expatshield and prevent buffering with Iplayer etc?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best VPN Service for using Iplayer etc

I've always liked Overplay.net but others recommend StrongVPN as well. Overplay works well for me as it's pretty simple (there is a desktop app that works to turn it on and off) and you can switch to multiple servers in the UK if one stream is buffering.

I was watching BBC 1 earlier today--Helicopter Heroes. I had about 5 buffering incidents, none more than a few seconds. I switched to a different server in the UK through the advanced functions of the app and watched the rest of it and then BBC News without a buffer for about 30 minutes. I made it through the closing ceremony of the Olympics live with about 2 buffering incidents total (note: I'm in Hong Kong though).
Old Oct 17th 2012, 11:31 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Used Astrill for quite a while with no problems but switched to Expatsheild because of the price

Maybe time to switch back as it does seem to be slow at the mo.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 11:32 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I use UKiVPN. Funny though... we have buffering issues lately also.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I use StrongVPN on PC, iPad and iPhone. Once you've set it up it's very easy to access on all devices.

My biggest complaint is that when I do need to switch servers it takes me forever to find the bit of the site where you do that, and the online chat help is sometimes just not available.

Mostly it's reliable though.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

I use TunnelBear to watch shows on my iPad - small subscription charge to do that but worth it and easy to set up.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Very happy Overplay user here for years, and no problems. Use it on the main computer attached to the TV, and iThings.

With BBC iPlayer, did you know that you only need to have the VPN in place for the initial ping? Once the show is streaming, you can drop the VPN and carry on watching over the regular connection.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else use StrongVPN? about to order a years subscription with them...
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

ibVPN is my service of choice, $20 for 6 months.

Hardly ever have buffering, and I even use iPlayer to download the HD versions of shows to my media PC's hard drive and watch them whenever.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - cheaper than strongVPN! will look into that one when i get home.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Decided to try Tunnel Bear starting with their 500MB free trial. The Iplayer played with no buffering and was very fast to navigate. In fact, it was light night/day when compared with Expat Shield. It was so good, that I upgraded to the gran grizzly option which was $49 per year.

The things that I like is that they do not automatically upgrade after the year, have an easy interface. There interface looks like an old radio which toggle switch to turn on/off and another to switch VPN to US or UK.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ibVPN gives you a 2 hour free trial which we tested last night and worked really well, no buffering etc. The only annoying thing was that you can't use Apple Airplay to watch BBC iplayer on a screen as we assumed we'd be able to (unless you use the browser version of iplayer rather than the iplayer app). Anyway we have signed up for ibVPN now, I'm ridiculously excited about being able to watch something other than American Pickers and Keeping up with the Kardashians!
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The best way of doing it is to get someone you know in the UK to leave their computer on, they set up Internet Connection Sharing and you connect through that using the VPN client.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thing to watch out for, most of these outfits are fly by night and can disappear without warning, so it's generally not a great idea getting a year subscription in advance.

Saying that, StrongVPN have been around for years and not that that's any indicator, but it's probably a safer bet than most if you rather not go month by month.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing to watch out for, most of these outfits are fly by night and can disappear without warning, so it's generally not a great idea getting a year subscription in advance.

Saying that, StrongVPN have been around for years and not that that's any indicator, but it's probably a safer bet than most if you rather not go month by month.
Mine bills monthly via paypal. I get a usage summary from them which is quite interesting and also site access to manage my account and see usage graphs etc.

iPlayer is still running ok, but i do see some buffering if streaming live content from ITV etc. dunno why... It's just a recent thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.