Reload this Page >

Best Value areas to live in Florida

Best Value areas to live in Florida

Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

watchcamFloridabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Value areas to live in Florida

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for areas of Florida which are really good value for money when it comes to home rental prices (initially) and home prices for when I come to buy?

Looking for a nice 4+ bed, 2+ bath villa in a safe and nice area.

Only other criterior are within 100 miles of Orlando or Miami airport.

I was going to be working in Boca Raton which was really expensive compared to Davenport/orlando area. Looks like I can now work anywhere from home so looking for the best value area.

Just to highlight not looking for a cheap area a such but more for my money if you know what I mean. Kind of like living in Wiltshire rather than Berkshire in the UK!

All tips and thoughts welcomed!

Cheers!

Last edited by watchcamFloridabound; Jun 13th 2013 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Ynara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Value areas to live in Florida

My only experience is where I live, which is south of Tampa. It's an area that is being developed, and there are many houses being built. Currently we rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $1000 per month, and it's a quiet, safe neighbourhood. Look for houses in the South Riverview/Apollo Beach/Ruskin area.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, will have a look on realtor.com and see what I can find. Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

You won't get a villa in Orlando, as short term rentals aren't allowed in Orange County. Davenport yes.

Where will you be working? That will be a big factor as traffic can be a nightmare. Do you have children? Another big factor as schools can range from really bad and where you live determines where your kids will go to school.

100 miles of Orlando or Miami airports is a HUGE area. You really need to cut that down a lot.

I can help with areas around Orlando as that's where I live.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can stand a bit of Arkansas dropped in the middle of Florida, go to Polk County; Lakeland, Bartow, Winter Haven, Lake Wales etc. That area is probably some of the cheapest to live in the extended Orlando area. There are some nice properties there, especially if you like ranch type houses and land.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
You won't get a villa in Orlando, as short term rentals aren't allowed in Orange County. Davenport yes.

Where will you be working? That will be a big factor as traffic can be a nightmare. Do you have children? Another big factor as schools can range from really bad and where you live determines where your kids will go to school.

100 miles of Orlando or Miami airports is a HUGE area. You really need to cut that down a lot.

I can help with areas around Orlando as that's where I live.
If I don't get the job in Boca Raton I can live anywhere I want as will work from home. Agree the search area is huge and although I have spent a lot of time in Florida I have explored only so much so really appreciate the thoughts. I might come out ahead of the move and explore for a weekend to see whats best - will need to anyway I guess. I had thought about using a holiday rental for a few weeks while we explored.
I do have three kids and school really important - we have found a website that gives grading of school performance and that will be a very important consideration. They currently go to a top rated school here so important that continues.

I want to cut the search area down, but its hard without knowing the area well enough - if I focus on what I know well (Orlando/Davenport/Haines City area) I could be missing a great opportunity somewhere maybe on the Gulf Coast?
Near Orlando does appeal because of the entertainment but need to think beyond that really?

Traffic not ideal, but as long as its not outside the house I wont be bothered.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit3964
If you can stand a bit of Arkansas dropped in the middle of Florida, go to Polk County; Lakeland, Bartow, Winter Haven, Lake Wales etc. That area is probably some of the cheapest to live in the extended Orlando area. There are some nice properties there, especially if you like ranch type houses and land.
That does appeal - my wife is from mid west and land appeals so will have a hunt! Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ynara
My only experience is where I live, which is south of Tampa. It's an area that is being developed, and there are many houses being built. Currently we rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $1000 per month, and it's a quiet, safe neighbourhood. Look for houses in the South Riverview/Apollo Beach/Ruskin area.
That does seem good value. Will pass to my wife who is in charge of this!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago when property prices were low in parts of Florida, my wife went up and looked around in the general vicinity of Gainesville. There was a little town called Bell that seemed attractive. Just for something to do, I went on the Internet to see if I could find out WHY prices were low there. Somehow or other (and I really can't recall how) I discovered that Bell - cute as it seemed - was a town that was on a list for the housing of convicted sex-offenders.

I Googled the name just now, but couldn't duplicate my earlier search. However, I Googled "Bell Florida sex offenders" and found a whole bunch of items to click on. I expect a similar search is available for other towns. Apparently, it is compulsory for registered sex-offenders' names and addresses to be made available to the public, and the State authorities like to house them in certain selected places.

This information may be useful to BE members on this thread.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, good to know! I know where I would house them!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
How come people rent houses/condos for a week or so for their hols in Orlando?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Agree, i have stayed in one - lake Buena Vista is in Orange County?

Is short term rental different to holiday rental maybe?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Because the rental properties are not located in Orange County, they are in Osceola, Polk and Lake.
That said, there are some areas in Orange that are zoned for short-term rental - but nothing like as many as in the surrounding counties.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to check the registry, to see who your next-door neighbour might be!
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Kissimmee-Florida.html
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

By coincidence I have found a house for sale i rented for two weeks a few years ago in Davenport. Small world?
It was nice - might drop the owners a mail in a couple of months if its still there and see if we can sort something if they want to rent it out. Was a nice place.