British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Best State of the Union? It's.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-state-union-its-758259/)

SultanOfSwing May 15th 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10062194)
Illinois - Flat and proud

That's about all you can say really. Except all the corruption and bribes, of course ...

Lion in Winter May 15th 2012 5:56 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10062197)
That's about all you can say really. Except all the corruption and bribes, of course ...

Illinois - Where the Governors go to Prison

or

Illinois - Chicago and a Bunch of Other Places We Can't Remember the Names of.


NB: For the longest time I thought North Carolina's "first in flight" meant "first to run away."

SultanOfSwing May 15th 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10062202)
Illinois - Where the Governors go to Prison

or

Illinois - Chicago and a Bunch of Other Places We Can't Remember the Names of.

Those are good ones :lol:

Scouse Express May 15th 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10062194)
Illinois - Flat and proud

Except for Jo Davies County.


Jim.

Lion in Winter May 15th 2012 5:59 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10062205)
Except for Jo Davies County.


Jim.

Not flat, but way too many gift shops selling useless items.

Yorkieabroad May 15th 2012 6:14 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10062208)
way too many gift shops selling useless items.

Tautologous, no?

HumphreyC May 15th 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 
Well I like MA, despite living in possibly the most 'meh' part of it - north central MA (easy escape to NH, VT and Western MA though). VT is the best New England state for me but there isn't much work up there.

If you speak to people though - mainly the blue collar types - a lot of people would like to get out of the state; mainly because of the winters, the erosion of the industrial base & the higher cost of living. There is quite a bit of negativity around in the Bay state.

Bob May 16th 2012 3:51 am

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by HumphreyC (Post 10062280)

If you speak to people though - mainly the blue collar types - a lot of people would like to get out of the state; mainly because of the winters, the erosion of the industrial base & the higher cost of living. There is quite a bit of negativity around in the Bay state.

You need to check out the out laying towns around the Cape, etc, especially in the build up to the summer season. You get 5 families sharing a motel to do the casual work, while residing properly in NH or RI, to get out of needing medical insurance and those areas having more solid off season work, but the money is worth if for contractors getting stuff ready for the tourists. It's pretty grim stuff though.

Yorkieabroad May 16th 2012 3:53 am

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10062194)
Illinois - Flat and proud

I used to date a girl who said that.
Don't think she was called Illinois though.

Didn't last long....

newtohouston May 16th 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10062093)
I'm not vouching for the sanity of those from Texas either....especially the twats with the "not born/got here fast" type bumper stickers - and Brother in Law, if you're reading, yes I mean you!!!

well..I am just about to move myself to Texas and CANNOT wait. Unless you have spent some time in Texas, traveled to the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and so on, I think it's fair to say, that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. The country folk in Texas are friendly and helpful. I met my gorgeous fiancee there and have made wonderful friends, and I don't even live there yet.

So, for me, the winner is Texas! :) Yeehaw!

Lion in Winter May 16th 2012 3:01 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by newtohouston (Post 10064224)
well..I am just about to move myself to Texas and CANNOT wait. Unless you have spent some time in Texas, traveled to the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and so on, I think it's fair to say, that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. The country folk in Texas are friendly and helpful. I met my gorgeous fiancee there and have made wonderful friends, and I don't even live there yet.

So, for me, the winner is Texas! :) Yeehaw!


Ah, but you haven't met Leslie yet....

SultanOfSwing May 16th 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 
Ah there's nothing like some unadulterated subjectivity of a morning, is there?

Lion in Winter May 16th 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10064335)
Ah there's nothing like some unadulterated subjectivity of a morning, is there?


I think adultery in Texas gets you shot, anyway.

Yorkieabroad May 16th 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by newtohouston (Post 10064224)
well..I am just about to move myself to Texas and CANNOT wait. Unless you have spent some time in Texas, traveled to the Hill Country, Austin, San Antonio and so on, I think it's fair to say, that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. The country folk in Texas are friendly and helpful. I met my gorgeous fiancee there and have made wonderful friends, and I don't even live there yet.

So, for me, the winner is Texas! :) Yeehaw!

Thats fine, I'm happy for you.

We've been here 10 years. Got married here to a Texan implant. The only major part of the state we haven't visited is Big Bend. All in all I kind of like living here - not the greatest, not the worst, but we do OK. But I'm certainly not about to add the "not born here/got here as fast as I could" bumper sticker to my truck. Of course I wouldn't try to deny you the right to add one to your truck when you get here, as long as you don't try to deny me my right to add you to my list of twats if you do. I'll put you right next to my Michigan born brother in law if you like:D.

Giantaxe May 16th 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Best State of the Union? It's....
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10064244)
Ah, but you haven't met Leslie yet....

Nor actually lived in Texas it seems!

As to MA, I think it has a lot going for it. But I never got used to the summer climate, I like being outdoors a lot, and the combination of heat and humidity made me want me to stay in the safety of air conditioning. I guess I'm just not an eastern seaboard kind of guy because of that, which is a real pity as there are several cities I'd like to live in there, especially New York.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:52 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.