Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BEST STATE IN AMERICA TO CALL HOME?

BEST STATE IN AMERICA TO CALL HOME?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:12 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BEST STATE IN AMERICA TO CALL HOME?

Originally Posted by lisag8070
when did you last go there....sorry but I'm only asking because its just down the road from us and it definitely sounds like a great place to go..
About 14 months ago.Its funny ,when ever any of my aunts,uncles or cousins go back home to visit they all make sure to stop in at Tommys to eat.We use to buy their cole slaw cheeseburgers, freeze them and take them back to our friends when we lived in New Jersey.They are so good!!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:15 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: BEST STATE IN AMERICA TO CALL HOME?

I live in Florida, but I would prefer to live in New Hampshire.

and anywhere thats far away from Plano Texas !
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
The best Barbeque I've ever tasted was at a little resturant that is family owned called Tommy's Barbecue in Thomasville North Carolina.The place has been pass down from generation to generation.Everything they make is home made!!They make the best chopped Barbecue Sandwichs with home made cole slaw.WOW ,I can imagine the taste right now.If you ever get the chance to visit there thrust me, you will go out of your way to make a return trip!
The important question is do they cook on wood?

Have you dined at Lexington Barbecue (aka Honey Monk to the locals) in Lexington, NC? It's in an odd location. It's literally right off Hwy 64 (the section between Hwy 52 and Hwy 70). Their barbecue is my alltime favorite and I've eaten a lot of NC barbecue since moving here.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
I live in Florida, but I would prefer to live in New Hampshire.

and anywhere thats far away from Plano Texas !
Why New Hamster? Reasons please.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:18 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a liberal Democrat and like taxes, then the People's Republic of Maryland is the place for you.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

MNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant futureMNScot has a brilliant future

I've only had experience of a year in Manhattan and the past 6 months in the Twin Cities. Having travelled to Raleigh, Boston, DC, Baltimore and Chicago i would have to say that Minnesota really is a great place to be. Friendly people, 2 seasons (hot and cold) and the cost of living isn't all that bad!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:53 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MNScot
I've only had experience of a year in Manhattan and the past 6 months in the Twin Cities. Having travelled to Raleigh, Boston, DC, Baltimore and Chicago i would have to say that Minnesota really is a great place to be. Friendly people, 2 seasons (hot and cold) and the cost of living isn't all that bad!
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html
Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities 2006

Most dangerous
#12 Baltimore, MD
#19 Wshington DC

So I think Minnesota would be the best choice out of that group.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:59 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
About 14 months ago.Its funny ,when ever any of my aunts,uncles or cousins go back home to visit they all make sure to stop in at Tommys to eat.We use to buy their cole slaw cheeseburgers, freeze them and take them back to our friends when we lived in New Jersey.They are so good!!!
Thanks...we'll be checking it out
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:01 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Have you dined at Lexington Barbecue (aka Honey Monk to the locals) in Lexington, NC? It's in an odd location. It's literally right off Hwy 64 (the section between Hwy 52 and Hwy 70). Their barbecue is my alltime favorite and I've eaten a lot of NC barbecue since moving here.
Have you been to the Lexington Barbecue festival...OMG...its barbecue heaven and you can eat till you burst...

Another great reason to live in North Carolina...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Why New Hamster? Reasons please.
Other than the fact I was born there, , NH and VT ranked as "safe" places to live in the US (unless you're a campaign volunteer for Hillary),
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:33 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

No I haven't.Been to Lexington many times as a teen usually when their football team played ours.Next time I'm driving through will make a point to stop and check out your recommendation.Thanks.Not sure if Tommy cooks on wood but what ever method their using it certainly is working.People have offered to buy their business but the family will not do it. I allways see someone who knew me or a family member when ever I visit North Carolina.Really is a nice feeling!

Last edited by YankeemovingAbroad; Jan 7th 2008 at 3:37 am.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Florida is inexpensive...
I doubt that for home owners...insurance and all that...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I doubt that for home owners...insurance and all that...
My Mom has been complaining about the cost of homeowner's insurance in FL, her fussing is why should people be allowed to rebuild in areas apt to get swept away because the higher insurance costs affect the inland folks as well. She said that some of the inland folks might have liked to live on the water but the risk not worth it.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me like stating the obvious, but I'd say California is the best state to call home - and I thank my lucky stars every day that I do call it home!

If you like deserts, you can go to the Mojave, or Death Valley. For mountains, we have Mt Whitney (at 14,494ft the tallest in the 'lower 48' states). For stunning, breathtaking scenery we have Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and several other jaw-dropping national parks. For skiing, you can go to Tahoe. If you want 'hippie', you can go to Humboldt County in the Northwest where they still grow pot. Further south, about 100 miles north of SF, you have the Redwood Forests, with the tallest and most graceful trees in the world. For 'laid back country living', you can live in the Sierra foothills in places like Placerville.

You can drive hundreds of miles along 'Highway 1', the stunning coast road that hugs much of the California coastline.

You can eat the best of foods - lots of fresh, organic local stuff; huge Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese populations, ensuring authentic and cheap Asian foods (Sushi, Dim-Sum ... yum yum) (same goes for Mexican food).

A liberal state (even under "Republican" Schwartzenegger), one that funded a $3bn stem-cell program when Bush veoted the same at the national level, supports gay marriage, supports domestic partnerships, etc.

The high-tech capital of the US if not the world in "silicon valley", starting around 30 miles south of SF - still a successful job engine after all these years.

And of course, by far the best weather - warmth without humidity, which I see as CA's secret weapon.

Yes, it's pricey ... but the salaries are higher too, and it's a lot less expensive than many places to heat/cool your home, to buy groceries, etc.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:57 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I spent three-and-a-half months in Sunnyvale early last year. I agree with your positive impressions of the San Francisco Bay Area. Nice place with good facilities and exceptionally pleasant weather.