Reload this Page >

Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Old May 6th 2022, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Sofia R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Hi there,
Our family is looking to relocate to the 🇺🇸 as my husband has been offered a relocation package with his job. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping people could answer

1, What is the best place to live for a family that is about an hours 🚗 🚆✈ from NYC - low crime rate, peaceful and good amenities.
2, I have 2 kids 7 and 8 and the relocation package includes them having a private school education - I'd like to keep them on a British curriculum if possible 🤷🏽‍♀️ or just a really good junior school that also fits the above.
3, Also, With decent houses upto 500k

Any help or advise would be great
Old May 6th 2022, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best private schools for UK children in New York state

Hi, welcome to BE.

There's a British school in Manhattan, don't think there are any others outside of NYC though. But if you're looking at buying houses, then presumably this is a permanent move? So with kids age 7 & 8, you might want to look at just putting them in to the US system, as there's no need for them to stay on the British curriculum unless you'll be moving back after a temporary move, or unless they're at a crucial age in their education. We're sending ours to a British school, but he will be joining at age 16 after GCSE's and probably returning to the UK for uni, so a different situation. If you wanted to hedge your bets, then maybe look at a school that offers the IB program, so it's easily transferable either side of the pond?

Might also be worth mentioning whereabouts your husband will be working in NYC, so that those in the know can advise on commutes and whereabouts you're best living if you want his journey to be less than an hour.

Best of luck with the move.

Old May 6th 2022, 12:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

In that area? In this market? Ooooof....
Old May 6th 2022, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

$500k is not a huge amount for a full size house for 4 with a decent commute to NYC (I assume Manhattan). It also varies a lot where in Manhattan as to which stations are nearest the workplace.
Old May 6th 2022, 1:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

I think the first big question is whether this is temporary or permanent move. I think where you envision the kids at Uni is something you need to be taking into consideration at this point, and which curriculum will get them into what Uni is something to think about.

Outside of the British School in the city, your best option is an IB program or an international school. There really aren't that many options for a purely British curriculum school in the USA. https://www.international-schools-da.../new-york-city

And sadly, $500k in this area with a nice amenities is going to be a really, really tough find. Do you know where in the city he will be working (Wall Street, Midtown, etc)?

This is our WIKI on moving to US schools which might be helpful:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educa...s_in_school%3F

Last edited by penguinsix; May 6th 2022 at 1:02 pm.
Old May 6th 2022, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

trentschris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I don't have any input on the schools but I thought I'd give you a baseline on housing that might be useful.

I have an apartment in Manhattan (not a full-time residence) that is 2bd - 1bath, 1100 sq feet that cost ~1.3 and that was a steal at the time compared to now.

As you go out a further, I have a friend who lives in Great Neck Gardens (NY suburb, 25 miles from Manhattan, 1 hour drive) - His family live in a 4bd, 3bth 3500 sq foot house which cost 1.6 a few years ago.

Old May 6th 2022, 1:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofia R
Hi there,
Our family is looking to relocate to the 🇺🇸 as my husband has been offered a relocation package with his job. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping people could answer

1, What is the best place to live for a family that is about an hours 🚗 🚆✈ from NYC - low crime rate, peaceful and good amenities.
2, I have 2 kids 7 and 8 and the relocation package includes them having a private school education - I'd like to keep them on a British curriculum if possible 🤷🏽‍♀️ or just a really good junior school that also fits the above.

Any help or advise would be great
I suggest that you Google the Metro-North Railroad schedules site and look at the listings for the Hudson and the Harlem lines (they serve Westchester County, NY) and the New Haven line (which serves Fairfield County, Connecticut). You will be able to see which towns are within your NYC commuting range. However, good towns within an hour of NYC are going to be expensive and, as already stated, 500K would get a pretty average house. Westchester and Fairfield towns do have excellent public school districts, however. The other alternative is to head east from NYC, along the Long Island Railroad. Housing is probably not quite as expensive on close-in Long Island, but the schools probably aren't as good.
Old May 6th 2022, 2:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... 3, Also, With decent houses upto 500k

Any help or advise would be great.
It depends what you mean by "decent". Twenty years ago we couldn't find much under $500k, even when "decent" meant "in need of $100k+ in renovations", in a half-decent area and commutable into Manhattan; by the time we gave up looking and left, we were looking at properties that were 2+ hours from Manhattan.

If I was looking to move back there I would expect to start with a budget of $1million, but 1½million would give better choices.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2022 at 3:23 pm.
Old May 6th 2022, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what has already been said…$500K will not go far in the Tri State Area. School fees are also very expensive…kindergarten fees at the school my daughter attended start around $40K. We lived in NJ…approx 45 mins from Manhattan.
Old May 6th 2022, 3:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of perfectly nice family houses with good sized yards in Ossining, NY, in the 300 to 500k range. Less than an hour to Grand Central by train. As everywhere, your journey at both ends of the train journey will be an important factor.
Old May 6th 2022, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Sofia R is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

There's a British school in Manhattan, don't think there are any others outside of NYC though. But if you're looking at buying houses, then presumably this is a permanent move? So with kids age 7 & 8, you might want to look at just putting them in to the US system, as there's no need for them to stay on the British curriculum unless you'll be moving back after a temporary move, or unless they're at a crucial age in their education. We're sending ours to a British school, but he will be joining at age 16 after GCSE's and probably returning to the UK for uni, so a different situation. If you wanted to hedge your bets, then maybe look at a school that offers the IB program, so it's easily transferable either side of the pond?

Might also be worth mentioning whereabouts your husband will be working in NYC, so that those in the know can advise on commutes and whereabouts you're best living if you want his journey to be less than an hour.

Best of luck with the move.
Thank you so much for responding, so the house is part of the package he is getting with the job. We will be looking To move over on a temp basis for approximately 10 years and then heading home so the girls can go to uni in the UK. Could I ask what an IB program is? I don't really want to live in NYC as I'm a country girl, so If we can find a school that covers the curriculum outside of NYC I'd be really happy.
Old May 6th 2022, 4:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I suggest that you Google the Metro-North Railroad schedules site and look at the listings for the Hudson and the Harlem lines (they serve Westchester County, NY) and the New Haven line (which serves Fairfield County, Connecticut). You will be able to see which towns are within your NYC commuting range. However, good towns within an hour of NYC are going to be expensive and, as already stated, 500K would get a pretty average house. Westchester and Fairfield towns do have excellent public school districts, however. The other alternative is to head east from NYC, along the Long Island Railroad. Housing is probably not quite as expensive on close-in Long Island, but the schools probably aren't as good.
I am in Fairfield, with 0 traffic 1h drive can be done, but no chance commuting. On the train it was 2h “door to desk” before CV19, trains are longer now, and thats if your office is waking distance from Grand Central. You could knock the 15min driving to the station off if you buy within walking distance, and then you may be able to get away with only 1 car vs 2 as well.

Not sure that $500k will even get you a below average house in this market.

if you will have private school you can actually look at less desirable areas… the house prices and tax map to good schools, so if you have no need for a good school you can save some money there. A similar house in Bridgeport is way less Extensive than Fairfield for example. I would say looks in New Rochelle NY, less than 1h on the train or somewhere like Norwalk in CT. Also most relocation packages don’t pay for things forever and makes sure it’s grossed up to pay the tax’s you will owe on it.

Last edited by tht; May 6th 2022 at 4:15 pm.
Old May 6th 2022, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for responding, so the house is part of the package he is getting with the job. We will be looking To move over on a temp basis for approximately 10 years and then heading home so the girls can go to uni in the UK. Could I ask what an IB program is? I don't really want to live in NYC as I'm a country girl, so If we can find a school that covers the curriculum outside of NYC I'd be really happy.
After some time outside the UK, you'll have to pay for international fees at UK uni and I believe no student loans from the UK government, even if you're a UK citizen. Others will know more on this.

$500k in cash for a house purchase? Can't imagine the tax on this. Also look into property tax whereever you intend to move to, it can be very significant around here.
Old May 6th 2022, 4:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I am in Fairfield, with 0 traffic 1h drive can be done, but no chance commuting. On the train it was 2h “door to desk” before CV19, trains are longer now, and thats if your office is waking distance from Grand Central. You could knock the 15min driving to the station off if you buy within walking distance, and then you may be able to get away with only 1 car vs 2 as well.

Not sure that $500k will even get you a below average house in this market.

if you will have private school you can actually look at less desirable areas… the house prices and tax map to good schools, so if you have no need for a good school you can save some money there. A similar house in Bridgeport is way less Extensive than Fairfield for example. I would say looks in New Rochelle NY, less than 1h on the train or somewhere like Norwalk in CT. Also most relocation packages don’t pay for things forever and makes sure it’s grossed up to pay the tax’s you will owe on it.
Should be explained to the OP that you are talking about the town of Fairfield, and I was talking about Fairfield County as a whole -- specifically thinking about Stamford, Greenwich, New Canaan.
Old May 6th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Our old apartment 45 mins outside of Boston, which is cheaper than NYC now would cost 350k to buy, and its 2.5 rooms in a dilapidated building. I would plan to spend ~2 million based on your needs ~ 1 hr outside of NYC. Then add all the relevant taxes and cost of living, plus private schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.