Reload this Page >

Best Phone Network to Consider?

Best Phone Network to Consider?

Old Aug 4th 2022, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Phone Network to Consider?

Hi All,

Is there consensus as to the best network to consider when seeking a phone plan for new residents in the US?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 4th 2022, 9:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Phone Network to Consider?

I’d suggest polling your new neighbors or colleagues. What is the best in CT is not necessarily the best in CA!
Old Aug 4th 2022, 10:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Hi All,

Is there consensus as to the best network to consider when seeking a phone plan for new residents in the US?

Many thanks!
Depends where you will be located, what your usage will be like (calls, txt, internet)? And what you want to pay.

I have been through them all in the last 10 years including the virtual ones. Ended up on what is probably the most expensive: Verizon Unlimited, but I have coverage at my lake house and ski mountains I visit, the others did not. Get ready for a big shock if your coming from the UK… My monthly bill is over $200 a month for 2 phones, 2 Apple Watches and an iPad with data. Only about $30 a month if that related to device payments.

I tried Visible powered by Verizon for $25 a month a line and it always got slowed down / stoped working right when I needed it the most.

Last edited by tht; Aug 4th 2022 at 10:06 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above - see what the consensus is in the region that you spend most time in.

I used Google Fi for a while, but got frustrated at it dropping out. Now I pay out the wazoo for Verizon, but it works.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Agree with above - see what the consensus is in the region that you spend most time in.

I used Google Fi for a while, but got frustrated at it dropping out. Now I pay out the wazoo for Verizon, but it works.
Wot e-said!

The US is massive, which is not condusive to cheap and easy installation of infrastructure that requires expenditure per unit area, not per customer. So the cost of installing a cell antenna network across the vast area of the US is massively expensive, and the cell networks have to recover that cost from their subscribers. Even then there are holes in the network, such as in my back yard where my phone doesn't work reliably - I can actually get a better signal in the basement of the house next door, behind brick walls, than in the middle of my own back yard!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2022 at 2:50 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 2:48 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Wot e-said!

The US is massive, which is not condusive to cheap and easy installation of infrastructure that requires expenditure per unit area, not per customer. So the cost of installing a cell antenna network across the vast area of the US is massively expensive, and the cell networks have to recover that cost from their subscribers. Even then there are holes in the network, such as in my back yard where my phone doesn't work reliably - I can actually get a better signal in the basement of the house next door, behind brick walls, than in my own back yard!
And you can’t really trust the maps….

our whole town shows is 5G ultra wide and on Verizon…

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

Inside our house I am lucky to get 1-2 bars of LTE, same on the street (that’s in a dip) once you get out around town the are places that have 5G ultra wide band. But as big a deal at home as I use WiFi calling.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 3:46 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

If you want cheap, look at Mint Mobile. Uses the T-Mobile network for a fraction of the price, although you do get less features, and have to pay taxes and fees on top of their low price. We have the 4GB plan which is $180 for the year, or $200.81 after taxes and fees. Roaming costs extra. I purchased $5 roaming credit (cost $6.76), for a weekend in Mexico, and used $2.70, so if you are a frequent traveler, then keeping the credit topped up or paying extra, may not be appealing.

Whilst they also give credits for referrals (I'm not providing my code publicly), I am a happy customer, and paying less than I was with T-Mobile. Although you would have to check that T-Mobile covers the areas you are interested in.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

hannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
If you want cheap, look at Mint Mobile. Uses the T-Mobile network for a fraction of the price, although you do get less features, and have to pay taxes and fees on top of their low price. We have the 4GB plan which is $180 for the year, or $200.81 after taxes and fees. Roaming costs extra. I purchased $5 roaming credit (cost $6.76), for a weekend in Mexico, and used $2.70, so if you are a frequent traveler, then keeping the credit topped up or paying extra, may not be appealing.

Whilst they also give credits for referrals (I'm not providing my code publicly), I am a happy customer, and paying less than I was with T-Mobile. Although you would have to check that T-Mobile covers the areas you are interested in.

I used mint when we first arrived here. It’s been brilliant for us and you get free international calls to the UK ( mobiles and landlines ).
Old Sep 11th 2022, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Another +1 for Mint here. Works flawlessly and is so cheap compared to the crazy US telecoms prices.

My only problem with it was when I landed in the UK for a trip, and even although I'd bought a few gb of international data, it wouldn't connect to the UK networks. I did get it to eventually by manually changing the network settings on my iPhone, but by that time I'd just bought a local SIM card to avoid the roaming charges anyway.

Very happy with Mint.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

All the comments on coverage are valid. After you've worked out which one(s) have good enough in your area, I recommend https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks...ll-phone-plans for an overview.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Visible has a free 15 day trial. If you have a phone with e-sim it'll set up in minutes. I have an iPhone 13 and just used e-sim to add an additional phone(number) line. I could just pick which line to use for calls and texts and data. At the end of the trial the service ends and you can keep the new phone number, port your previous number over to Visible or do nothing and service just ends. Visible is owned and runs on Verizon.

https://www.visible.com/free-trial?C...E&gclsrc=aw.ds