Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which is best-Passport or Registering Birth Abroad?

Which is best-Passport or Registering Birth Abroad?

Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is best-Passport or Registering Birth Abroad?

Originally Posted by md95065
Otherwise it seems to be OK to just keep the US passport in your pocket ...
I agree! As an aside, I wonder what the penalty is for someone who chooses to ignore an unenforceable law?

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree! As an aside, I wonder what the penalty is for someone who chooses to ignore an unenforceable law?

Ian
I don't know, ask Boris Johnson http://kvsmith.com/?p=113
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, but the question which nobody seems to be able to answer definitively is whether giving an airline your passport number when leaving the US counts as "presenting" that passport to the US government or not. I tend to think "not".

The US doesn't (normally) have US government officials standing there checking people's passports when they leave (unlike some countries, including the UK in the old days).
Some one mentioned it in a previous thread that as the airlines do pass that info to the US authorities, you are by default presenting yourself to the US government as a none US citizen.

Don't think they do anything about it in practice, but in theory they can fine you for it. It's a bit like LPR's having to carry their greencards, but I don't think anyone ever gets locked up for not having it on them, occasionally find the odd person getting the fine but it's usually just a verbal telling off to not do it again.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Some one mentioned it in a previous thread that as the airlines do pass that info to the US authorities, you are by default presenting yourself to the US government as a none US citizen.
While I realize that (a) the legal subtleties are complex and (b) it really doesn't matter, I am not convinced that the fact that the airlines may subsequently pass information that I give them on to the US government means that I, the traveler, am making any kind of representation to the US government.

Usually, when the US government wants information from me that request comes on a form with an OMB number, and a lot of extra paper mandated by the "Paperwork Reduction Act" explaining why they need the information and an estimate of how long it will take me to provide it and a warning about the penalties for failing to provide it and for providing false information.

When I provide my passport information to an airline prior to international travel I do not recall having seen any of that. Perhaps I need to read the small print more carefully ...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movado
I am a dual UK/US citizen. I was born in the UK but have lived in the US most of my life. My children are US citizens and I'd like to establish British citizenship for them.

Is it preferable to obtain a passport for them or would registering their birth get them British citizenship status? Is one form more valid?

They do have a US passport for travel purposes and registering their birth would be less expensive than getting a passport.

But I am unclear of which option would be best in my case.
I just want to affirm and have documentation that show they are British citizens.
Your children are already UK citizens. You don't need to do anything to "establish" UK citizenship for them. What you actually want to do is obtain documentation that can be used to prove their UK citizenship now and in future years.

You can go through the consular birth registration route i.e. register their births with the UK government. To obtain proof of UK citizenship (e.g. to obtain a UK passport) through this route, you'd still need to obtain a consular birth cert - or a cheaper one through the GRO in the UK (the latter is only an option from the September of the year following consular birth registration). Consular birth registration is not necessary (even the UK government states that) and is not even available for people born in certain countries (e.g. Canada, Australia, NZ, Ireland, South Africa) but it can provide a level of comfort should you fear your (or your children's) ability to obtain and retain alternate documentation of their UK citizenship (e.g. copies of long form parental birth certs).

There's one other reason why consular birth registration may be a good idea for those born in the US. US birth records can be amended in cases of adoption and so the UK is suspicious of US birth certs issued more than 3 months after the date of birth (because the parents named on the birth cert may not be the biological parents). This does NOT mean that such birth certs are unacceptable - however, additional questions might be asked to ensure that the parents named on such birth certs are in fact the biological parents.

So the choice is a personal one. I chose not to do consular birth registration for my US born daughter because I have enough other documentation to prove her UK citizenship and she has a UK passport. Other people feel more comfortable going the consular birth registration route.