Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The best one yet!!!

Wikiposts

The best one yet!!!

Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:56 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best one yet!!!

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Perhaps you would be good enough to clarify as to what exactly "She" hadn't realized (realised).

A: Your son is British?

B: You are British?

C: Both you and your son are British?

D: Neither you nor your son are British?

E: America has currency but Britian does not?

F: Britain has currency but America does not?

G: Neither Britian nor American have currency?

H: Both Britian and America have currency?

I: All of the above:

Since you asked, she hadn't realised that the US currency would be the problem. It hadn't occured to her that we had a different currency.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

I have had people who after they accept that even with my 'none' English accent do actually come from England, then go on to ask what language they speak over there!! WTF!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Since you asked, she hadn't realised that the US currency would be the problem. It hadn't occured to her that we had a different currency.

I see. She actually thought that American and British currency were one and the same? How stupid she must've felt.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:29 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
I see. She actually thought that American and British currency were one and the same? How stupid she must've felt.
Not in her case. Seems ignorance truly was bliss.

(Now don't get me started on how that example illustrated her whole attitude towards my son's settling in process).
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

I had my naturalization ceremony in a local middle school. After the ceremony was over, I struck up a conversation with one of the teachers at the school. I told him I was 'originally' from the UK, and he told me he's travelled there. He then tells me that the best thing that he likes about the UK is that when he goes there "he's the best looking guy" there is (the point being that he isn't a good looking guy) and then says "yeah I have my ears and nose and teeth all in place...etc" He was saying it in a joking way, yet I don't think the tactless ba**tard realized that he had just insulted me, my dad, and pretty much every member of my UK family as well as UK friends.
And this is a guy that teaches young impressionable children. Ignorant tw*t.

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Not in her case. Seems ignorance truly was bliss.

(Now don't get me started on how that example illustrated her whole attitude towards my son's settling in process).
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:39 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Well had to add this one to the list, I asked an American a question about the new apartments I've moved into and he started asking me if I could speak French in French. I thought nothing of it at first I thought he may be French. Then in plane English I said "no mate I'm English". Then he started speaking to me in a strong American accent.

Do they think Europe is one country?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:29 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
Well had to add this one to the list, I asked an American a question about the new apartments I've moved into and he started asking me if I could speak French in French. I thought nothing of it at first I thought he may be French. Then in plane English I said "no mate I'm English". Then he started speaking to me in a strong American accent.

You should have started talking like Officer Crabtree
Attached Thumbnails The best one yet!!!-images.jpg  
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:56 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour

Yes!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:18 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
OK so we have all had the are you from Austraila question but this one took the biscuit (cookie for you yanks)...

So I am helping this customer at work and when I am almost done she asks 'are you Scandinavian?' I look at her with a confused look and told her 'no, I am English'... she replies very rudely and with a very matter of fact attitude and says 'WELL you don't sound like any english person I have ever heard'. She basically accused me of lying

But not to worry I spoke to my mum the next day and she assures me I was born in England and did spend the first 24 years of my life there it really wasn't all a dream.

It is now the running joke at work about me being Scandinavian.

Ash
whenever people tell me im australian, i reply with dont worry - most canadians say that - most americans ive come across dont like being refered to as canadian

Ant
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Try telling them you're from South Africa.

They think that Africa is one huge country.

Where are you from?
South Africa.
Where in South Africa.
South Africa.
But where in South Africa.
SOUTH AFRICA WHERE MANDELA IS FROM.
That quietens them

I think I am going to try Nyasaland or Tanganyika next time