Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The best one yet!!!

The best one yet!!!

Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default The best one yet!!!

OK so we have all had the are you from Austraila question but this one took the biscuit (cookie for you yanks)...

So I am helping this customer at work and when I am almost done she asks 'are you Scandinavian?' I look at her with a confused look and told her 'no, I am English'... she replies very rudely and with a very matter of fact attitude and says 'WELL you don't sound like any english person I have ever heard'. She basically accused me of lying

But not to worry I spoke to my mum the next day and she assures me I was born in England and did spend the first 24 years of my life there it really wasn't all a dream.

It is now the running joke at work about me being Scandinavian.

Ash
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:30 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best one yet!!!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
OK so we have all had the are you from Austraila question but this one took the biscuit (cookie for you yanks)...

So I am helping this customer at work and when I am almost done she asks 'are you Scandinavian?' I look at her with a confused look and told her 'no, I am English'... she replies very rudely and with a very matter of fact attitude and says 'WELL you don't sound like any english person I have ever heard'. She basically accused me of lying

But not to worry I spoke to my mum the next day and she assures me I was born in England and did spend the first 24 years of my life there it really wasn't all a dream.

Ash
To which yoy could have replied equally puzzled "No, I don't do I? Funny, wonder how that happened?"

Aside, I love playing the silly 'talk loudly in public and make people stare' game. Took me a minute to realise why it wasn't working on a recent trip to Blackpool though!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:33 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Ash

Don't worry I've been asked was I German when I said no I was asked what language I was speaking
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:35 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
So far Australian and Irish, I told one person I was from England and he proceed to name places I'd never heard of, then I realised he was talking about New England.

Didn't think I'd need my Spanish over here but a couple of times its come in quite handy when I've stopped at a shop. They looked at me blank when I spoke in English, soon change when asked in Spanish.

Last edited by britontour; Nov 7th 2005 at 3:45 am.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

she replies very rudely and with a very matter of fact attitude and says 'WELL you don't sound like any english person I have ever heard'.
You should've replied
"Thats because all the English people you have heard are really Scandinavians and too polite to tell you what a f**king ignorant **** you are"!!!!!!

Then thought about a change in career as you have about 2 minutes of employment left.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I guess she never watched Byker Grove as a kid then.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
I guess she never watched Byker Grove as a kid then.

Hang on a minute!!! Is Ash a geordie?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Don't worry I've been asked was I German when I said no I was asked what language I was speaking
I have been asked if I am german too and swiss and austrian... however in the 3 years that I have lived here it is the first time I have been accused of lying about my accent.
The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Ash
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rushman
Hang on a minute!!! Is Ash a geordie?
Not quite although I guess I have/had a bit of a geordie twang... i lived in durham in the UK.

Ash
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:14 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
I've had Scandinavain quite a lot too!
I had the delivery guy at work swear he thought I was Swedish. A bum asked me if I was Norweigan, then had an Australian ask me whereabouts in Australia I was from!
Also once when I was in Newark Airport I said "tuna sandwich" in the english way ie, "choona" and had a complete fricking stranger who was walking past, tell me I needed to take English Lessons! If I wasn't with my boss I would've been tempted to kick him in the nads.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=britontour]So far Australian and Irish, I told one person I was from England and he proceed to name places I'd never heard of, then I realised he was talking about New England.

That's okay-I AM New England born and bred, and I have had people ask me, when I mention that my husband is English, if I am English too !!!???!!!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:48 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

she asks 'are you Scandinavian?'
You should simply have said, NO and asked her - "Where is that" ?

That woulda stumped her...

Just yesterday I was TOLD, "I can tell your from Australia".... Grrrrrr... hee hee
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell them your from Tanganiyka... I found it kills the conversation stone dead ...
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I was at the docs the other day with my daughter who was wearing a union jack t shirt and had a union jack patch on her jeans. After a while chatting about ailments and so forth the doctor said, "now, let me guess...where are you guys from.....er...let me see...South Africa?"
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:17 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Just tell them your from Tanganiyka... I found it kills the conversation stone dead ...

Works for you Ray but it was Tanzania when most of us were born

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.