Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best Chain Restaurants in America

Best Chain Restaurants in America

Old Mar 16th 2005, 5:58 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Chain Restaurants in America

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
LOTL- you ate in a Southern style restaurant so the food is Southern style. I've eaten the chicken and dumplings in Cracker Barrel. It wasn't bad but I won't be eating it again (other things I'd rather try off the menu).

Sounds like you're forgetting that you're in a foreign country I think.

NC Penguin
Well, if Southern style food means bland, tasteless, canteen style slop on your plate, then the Southerners can keep it. I don't think it does though. I'm sure if the same dish was home cooked it would be far better. You yourself said you won't be eating it again
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Denny's i'll never go there again...last two times we went there i left feeling ripped off
Not to mention denny's is well dodgy on the racial front...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

First and last time we went to our local Ruby Tuesday's it was disgusting - our burgers and fries came up swimming in grease! Trouble is all the chains that are franchised are only as good as the manager or chef and cooking staff!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Well, if Southern style food means bland, tasteless, canteen style slop on your plate, then the Southerners can keep it. I don't think it does though. I'm sure if the same dish was home cooked it would be far better. You yourself said you won't be eating it again
You live in the South too! My chicken and dumplings was not as you describe but nonetheless, I'll skip it because I didn't like the dumplings.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:16 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The menu options are a bit more sophisticated than Olive Garden

So that would be bread and water then !
Im not being snobbish but everyone needs to go to Italy once and eat just to realise what a pile of crap the " Italian" food is here. I was lucky enough to have an Italian boss a few years ago and spent a lot of time in Milan ! During his only visit to LA he was taken to the Olive garden - he walked out when the usual 8lb of stoggy pasta with kitchen sink topping was put in front of him.
What pisses me of is their claim to be authentic ! its just like Indian food here -Americanised and watered down for the uneducated / unadventerous palate- whats the point ? just stick to burgers, grits (whatever they are) and hormone injected steak and stop making up "authentic" Italian dishes - I mean Penne Arrabitta with chicken FFS !!

giusto come la madre ha usato cucinare
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Anyone down Texas or Louisiana way ever go to What-a-burger?
Thats more fast food though isnt it. We have them here, but I've never eaten from one.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Im not being snobbish but everyone needs to go to Italy once and eat just to realise what a pile of crap the " Italian" food is here. I was lucky enough to have an Italian boss a few years ago and spent a lot of time in Milan ! During his only visit to LA he was taken to the Olive garden - he walked out when the usual 8lb of stoggy pasta with kitchen sink topping was put in front of him.
What pisses me of is their claim to be authentic ! its just like Indian food here -Americanised and watered down for the uneducated / unadventerous palate- whats the point ? just stick to burgers, grits (whatever they are) and hormone injected steak and stop making up "authentic" Italian dishes - I mean Penne Arrabitta with chicken FFS !!

Let's face it, if you go to any Italian Chain (Bella Pasta or similar) you will get similar food to the Olive Garden. This isn't Italy after all. However, if you go to a proper Italian restaurant (not a chain) you will get proper Italian food. Little Italy in Baltimore and NY are brilliant obviously because of the Italian population there.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
God yes, disgusting. Denneys my fav, will not waist my money at steak houses, I do better at home.
Denny's is good for cheap and fairly quick food. I usually just do the buffalo tenders with a side of fries. Village Inn is another similar option and also Carrows. I love their breakfast burritos which I became addicted to because the place I always stayed in Vegas had one right next door.

We like Garcia's also. Its not "real" Mexican food, but it's fairly decent and well priced.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:26 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Italian food in the US is generally Italian American food. See the movie, "Big Night" for insight into the morphing of Italian food into Italian American food. Good entertainment, even if you're not into food.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
Let's face it, if you go to any Italian Chain (Bella Pasta or similar) you will get similar food to the Olive Garden. This isn't Italy after all. However, if you go to a proper Italian restaurant (not a chain) you will get proper Italian food. Little Italy in Baltimore and NY are brilliant obviously because of the Italian population there.
I went to a "proper" Italian place a few weeks back and it sucked and I ended up paying double what I would have by going to the Olive Garden. OG's is fine for my unsophisticated tastes. The three meat ravioli is good and the tour of Italy fills my belly.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

I have to disagree about places like Little Italy and other ethnic neighborhoods in NY and other cities.

Due to creating food for the lowest common denominator (economically speaking), even Little Italy contains restaurants that serve non-authentic Italian.

Last time I dined in Little Korea (in NY), the food was authentic but the place I ate at was chosen by my Korean friend (whose father "inaugurated" Little Korea).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right on.... we have great small Italian restaurants here to - thats not my point - its the chains claiming to be something there're not and the public loving it, that winds me up ....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am another one who loves Olive Garden... it may not be Italian but it tastes good... esp the salad and the chocolate lasagna... what more needs to be said. I went to the Outback Steak House a couple of weeks back and that was really good too. I like Applebees too for the burgers... Chilis is OK too.

Ash
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:37 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Thats more fast food though isnt it. We have them here, but I've never eaten from one.
Pimpbot, you got Blake's Lotaburger over that way? Always good for a bit of evening entertainment. Around here, the phrase, "She's got Lotaburger hair!" has real meaning.

OK you lot, hands up if you've been complaining about bread over here AND you like the bread at Olive Garden.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Pimpbot, you got Blake's Lotaburger over that way? Always good for a bit of evening entertainment. Around here, the phrase, "She's got Lotaburger hair!" has real meaning.

OK you lot, hands up if you've been complaining about bread over here AND you like the bread at Olive Garden.
No, the What-a-burger around here is a fast food place like BK or McDonalds.

OG bread is ok, but the Salad dressing makes it better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.