Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Wikiposts

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Bit of trivia...
.....My September copy of Marie-Claire magazine (UK edition naturally) reported that Cerys Matthews of "Catatonia" moved to the States, had a baby and is living in Tennessee... What was she thinking?

(Liked that song about Tom Jones though which she sang with that guy from a band called 'Space' I think).

In the late 80's I went to see 'Everything But the Girl' in an acoustic concert in London....just Tracey Thorn & Ben Watt and a guitar. It was so boring I actually fell asleep....
She was in a pretty bad way when Catatonia split, too much of the high life so from what I can see the change has been really good for her. She looked really tired on the last tour, I did a tour of Wales with a friend doing some hiking and catching the gigs, you could see she was out on her feet.

She released a solo album "Cockahoop" which I really like, quite unlike the Catatonia stuff more folksy.

The single you are thinking about is "The Ballad of Tom Jones" with Space, she also released a cover of "Baby it's cold outside" duetting with Tom Jones.

Enough of the Cerys Fan Club
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Enough of the Cerys Fan Club
Blimey....bit into her ain't ya
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Blimey....bit into her ain't ya
The phrasing is ambiguous, but I think I know what you mean ... yes, I'm a fan
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

The phrasing is ambiguous, but I think I know what you mean ... yes, I'm a fan
Mulder and Scully
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Mulder and Scully
Not bad, but Road Rage is better ... and the whole of the first "real" album "Way Beyond Blue" is better than the more commercial stuff.

BUT, the best track wasn't even on an album, 3rd track on the Strange Glue single entitled "That's All Folks".

I'll get me coat ...
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get me coat ...
Understatement...major fan then
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:26 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes, KLF/Justified Ancients of Mu MU/the other name under which they had their number one in the UK were a mighty fine dance outfit even if they performed stunts. I would've thought that they did well in the clubs and even on college radio.

I can't remember the name of their incarnation when they performed on TOTP with an icecream van on stage and dressed as ice cream cones. Classic!!

I also recorded their infamous anti-art moment of burning the million Pounds.

NC Penguin
Wasn't it 'The timelords'
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney
Of "Doctoring The Tardis" fame?

A mix of Gary Glitter and Dr Who ... now THERE's a subject that doesn't want deep analysis ...
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:06 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Catatonia? They were worse than Everything But The Girl. Utter shite! She sang like a 9 year old on helium! "eetz all overrr tha frrrrrant page you gimmee rrrrrrrrrroad rrrrrrrage" I hope she's living in a trailer in Tennessee.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:43 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Some good bands mentioned above. How about:
The Verve
Elastica
Faithless (oops, already mentioned)
Chemical Brothers

.......did anyone mention Steps yet?

Random thoughts:

The Primitives....Crash is a top song, but it's "The Only One I Know" of theirs. For some reason I associate Crash with Transvision Vamp - probably came out at the same time as Baby I Don't Care.
The Shamen - - they denied it at the time but recently admitted that Ebenezeer Goode was about Ecstasy. Scene!
David Gray - Saw him in Dallas last year and the twat of a concert reviewer accused him of ripping off John Mayer's head bobbing - Hello!
Zero 7 - I believe that they've toured the US quite a bit.
Marillion - are on a US tour at the mo.
James - The original name for the album "Seven" was "Blow Me Away" but they were worried that, when touring the US ,a fan would take them literally.
Catatonia - I found Cerys' voice quite endearing to start with but, like Delores out of the Cranberries, after the band got some fame, she emphasised the ethnicity and I found it irritating.
Republica - didn't they only have one album?

Last edited by DaveC; Oct 7th 2004 at 2:54 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yes, that's right. I really should know 'cos I've got the 12" but all my vinyl's in storage until I get my hifi sorted out, i.e. buy my separates.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes, that's right. I really should know 'cos I've got the 12" but all my vinyl's in storage until I get my hifi sorted out, i.e. buy my separates.

NC Penguin
forgot about the chemicals, though i think they do have a following over here like a lot of the bands mentioned.

I think the fact that they are not on mainstream radio doesnt really say too much about a band being popular here. If you have a look at the charts in any big music store there are actually a lot of british bands in the top 40 or so, and not too many jessica simpsons and shite like that.

If you are going to cover a song, at least make it a good one, robbie williams -angels for fu$ks sake! sounds like one of those bad kareoke songs that your uncle gets out at christmas.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DaveC
The Verve
Dull ...

.......did anyone mention Steps yet?
Or the Funboy Three ...

Baby I Don't Care.
Talking of 12inchers (missus), I've still got that ...

ripping off John Mayer's head bobbing - Hello!.
I hate most music journo's - So what if he does the gig on his head dressed as Hendrix? What's the music like?

Marillion - are on a US tour at the mo.
Dull prententious shite ... in my view That "new" singer is a total knob, bring back Fish ... Lavender was OK, dilly, dilly.

James - The original name for the album "Seven" was "Blow Me Away" but they were worried that, when touring the US ,a fan would take them literally.
Talking of things that had to be renamed, they couldn't release a film called Richard The Third in the states because the public would've wondered where the 2 prequels were

Catatonia
An acquired taste

Republica - didn't they only have one album?
Two, but only one you wanna listen to!

Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:12 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

I hate most music journo's - So what if he does the gig on his head dressed as Hendrix? What's the music like?

<<snip>>

This is pretty much what I said in my second post on this thread way back.... yesterday actually.

I don't give a shht about the appearance of the artists. It's the music that counts. You have to face the fact (no pun intended) that Tracy Thorn of Everything but the Girl is talented (and good songwriter too?) despite her looks. She's versatile too. Provided vocals for that Massive Attack single, "Protection" (great video too that didn't feature the artists or singer if I'm not mistaken).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

after 9 pages of shite, this is the first mention of Massive Attack, we should be ashamed...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.