Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Wikiposts

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Originally Posted by Manc
Here's one from left field.
Morcheeba.
There great elavator music
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
There great elavator music
That's Dildo.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbutt
So many good bands and a lot of not so good ones too. Pisses me off how manufactured music tripe does so well over here, the Uk is getting like that now too.
Aye, getting all pretty shite these days, such a shame.

Grooverider and Apex Twin ain't done so hot over here either...
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Groove Armada...class stuff
and
Asian Dub Foundation too, great lyrics
Aye, good stuff there
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes, KLF/Justified Ancients of Mu MU/the other name under which they had their number one in the UK were a mighty fine dance outfit even if they performed stunts. I would've thought that they did well in the clubs and even on college radio.

I can't remember the name of their incarnation when they performed on TOTP with an icecream van on stage and dressed as ice cream cones. Classic!!

I also recorded their infamous anti-art moment of burning the million Pounds.

NC Penguin
Since we are talking dressing-up:

The Pet Shop Boys?
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:39 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

This must be the fastest moving thread i've seen on here I can see we're running out of bands when the LA's get a mention though
What about Coventry's indie darlings The Primitives? They were good...well until that bloke (Ian Broudie?) started singing on the albums...I seem to have it in my head that he formed the Lightning Seeds later? May have that wrong though...
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
That's Dildo.
dildo music?
i like morcheba, but it is kinda elavator styleeee...
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tony_2003
This must be the fastest moving thread i've seen on here I can see we're running out of bands when the LA's get a mention though
What about Coventry's indie darlings The Primitives? They were good...well until that bloke (Ian Broudie?) started singing on the albums...I seem to have it in my head that he formed the Lightning Seeds later? May have that wrong though...
Lightning Seeds - We'll bring the tunes, you bring the charisma

Primitives excellent, how about Swing Out Sister?
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:50 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Since we are talking dressing-up:

The Pet Shop Boys?
OT- anyone heard the mix of Pet Shop Boys vs. KLF mix of "So Hard"?

The eighties/nineties reminds me of Stock, Aitken and Waterman. They had a slew of artists who had hits written and produced by this team. I wonder if any of SAW's artists managed to carve a career in the US.

There's a lot to choose from:
Bananarama, Kylie (I won't forget how Record Mirror called her "pseudounderagesexdwarfchild"), Sinita, Rick Astley, Brother Beyond, Sonia, etc.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:51 am
Account Closed

OT- anyone heard the mix of Pet Shop Boys vs. KLF mix of "So Hard"?

The eighties/nineties reminds me of Stock, Aitken and Waterman. They had a slew of artists who had hits written and produced by this team. I wonder if any of SAW's artists managed to carve a career in the US.

There's a lot to choose from:
Bananarama, Kylie (I won't forget how Record Mirror called her "pseudounderagesexdwarfchild"), Sinita, Rick Astley, Brother Beyond, Sonia, etc.

NC Penguin
The Reynolds Girls
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:52 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

...how about Swing Out Sister?
Em ok...the thread is officially dead if someone throws in Everything But The...though.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:53 am
Get em out by Friday

...or Fairground Atraction.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The Reynolds Girls
Maybe they could've had hits if they renamed themselves the Reynolds (W)rap Girls.

What about Mel and Kim (the sisters, not Mel Smith and Kim Wilde)? They had the right kind of sound and sassiness for the American market.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:57 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

What about Mel and Kim (the sisters, not Mel Smith and Kim Wilde)? They had the right kind of sound and sassiness for the American market.
well one's dead for a start.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:59 am
Get em out by Friday

I think these guys were a SAW product...

Killed in a head on collision in Switzerland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.