Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best of British Music that Should Be Introduced to the Americans

Originally Posted by LuTziE
last and by no means least Half man Half Biscuit.
You, my friend are not wrong ...

Brian May Hair Blues, Dickie Davies Eyes ... pun-a-minute ...

Serious suggestion - Beta Band (RIP)
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from megaband U2, were the Pogues popular in the US. I mean, not just a one hit wonder?

OK, Shane McGowan hasn't got the most photogenic face but in the 80s and earlier looking like Ken or Barbie wasn't a prerequisite for having hits.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Apart from megaband U2, were the Pogues popular in the US. I mean, not just a one hit wonder?

OK, Shane McGowan hasn't got the most photogenic face but in the 80s and earlier looking like Ken or Barbie wasn't a prerequisite for having hits.
The Pogues are great (and some of Shane's solo stuff), they are doing a Xmas "reunion" (again) gig in London this year ... am I going? Oh yeh ...

-----------------
We walked him to the station in the rain
We kissed him as we put him on the train
And we sang him a song of times long gone
Though we knew that we’d be seeing him again
(far away) sad to say I must be on my way
So buy me beer and whiskey ’cause I’m going far away (far away)
I’d like to think of me returning when I can
To the greatest little boozer and to Sally Maclennane
-----------------

Poetry, poetry.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:33 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

A comment about the Jam in another thread on this forum has sparked an idea.

Which British and European bands/artists, past and present, did not/have not "make it big" in the US but deserve to be re/introduced to the Americans?

I didn't know that the Jam never became popular in the US. I guess tastes are that different.

Hows about Happy Mondays or those loveable cock-er-ney (honest geezer) larrakins Chas & Dave??!?!!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NJJ
Hows about Happy Mondays or those loveable cock-er-ney (honest geezer) larrakins Chas & Dave??!?!!
'kin right! And the first Black Grape album.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:37 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Well at the risk of having eggs thrown at me I miss Robbie Williams! Yes I know its probably a girl thing however he does have great music. He has tried to make it over here but as yet unsuccessfully. I love the fact he is funny and says what he wants, which is very refreshing when you have singers like Justin Timberlake always people pleasing...boring

Recently Jessica Simpson released his record 'Angels' and she completely hammered it to death Mariah Carey stye, shame.

Anyway thats who gets my vote.
I heard "the simpsons" version too, HARRIBLE I can still see Robbie at Glastonbury 1/4 million people singing, gave me goosebumps it did, then you have miss perfect belting out with her jaw moving up and down like she has a bee stuck up her arse!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:42 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
'kin right! And the first Black Grape album.

you know yu talk so hip yer twistin my melon man
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NJJ
you know yu talk so hip yer twistin my melon man
c-c-c-c-call the cops!

Freaky dancin' ...
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The other half (the American half ) is devasted that XTC never made it big in the US. Perhaps the band did have one hit in the US though.

Also, Kate Bush was probably a one hit wonder in the US. Arguably the best British female songwriter of all time in my opinion.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I heard "the simpsons" version too, HARRIBLE I can still see Robbie at Glastonbury 1/4 million people singing, gave me goosebumps it did, then you have miss perfect belting out with her jaw moving up and down like she has a bee stuck up her arse!
Yeah your so right Yosser..what is it with these 'Divas' and their wobbly mouth syndrome. Jessica Simpson looks like she is in pain half the time and sometimes she misses her cue where she is coiling herself up to belt out another weird note, there never seems any continuity to her songs. The sad thing is she has an amazing voice if she would just sing 'normally' that must be the fashion now because she's not the only one doing it. Certainly ruins it for me.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

And here are some that, while very popular in the UK, are barely known here, if at all (lots of boy/girl bands):

Doves (LOVE them!)
Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Badly Drawn Boy
The Darkness
Will Young
Hear'say
Westlife
Boyzone
Take That
Sugababes
Stereophonics
Atomic Kitten
S Club 7

~ Jenney
Seeing the stereophonics in that list makes me laugh, come on, you cant even compare them with all those other manufactured pop acts.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Seeing the stereophonics in that list makes me laugh, come on, you cant even compare them with all those other manufactured pop acts.
If anyone isn't manufactured there then it's Badly Drawn Boy!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

The other half (the American half ) is devasted that XTC never made it big in the US. Perhaps the band did have one hit in the US though.

Also, Kate Bush was probably a one hit wonder in the US. Arguably the best British female songwriter of all time in my opinion.

NC Penguin
XTC have quite a big following here, much bigger than in the UK. Their albums (when they get round to putting them out) usually sell very well in the US and in Japan, but in the UK they can't get arrested....
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

VFRpilot is on a distinguished road

How about:
The speicals
Madness
Level 42
ABC

And of course the JAM
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:44 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Teardrop Explodes
Echo & the Bunnymen
Belle & Sebastian
Tindersticks
Stone Roses
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
PJ Harvey
Super Furry Animals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.