Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bereavement Flights To UK

Bereavement Flights To UK

Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Bereavement Flights To UK

Here is a list of Airline Policies, with regards to Bereavement Fares. List is in no particular order;

United Airlines:

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...n/default.aspx

Delta:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...reavement.html

Aer Lingus:

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...ementdiscount/

American Airlines:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ares_index.jsp

Virgin:

http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/a...MjR6REM4dGw%3D

Air Canada:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...reavement.html

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jun 19th 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bereavement Flights To UK

Great list, I'll add that to the wiki.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bereavement_Flights

For anyone else to continue contributions.

Last edited by Bob; Jun 19th 2013 at 5:32 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Great list, I'll add that to the wiki.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bereavement_Flights

For anyone else to continue contributions.
Couldn't find anything from BA.

Jim.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Couldn't find anything from BA.

Jim.
That's because BA is crap. When my mum-in-law passed away a couple years ago, I called BA to inquire about bereavement fares, not only did they say they didn't offer them they were going to charge over $3000 per ticket to fly out in 2 days. I called Virgin, and while they didn't offer bereavement fares, they did offer us 10% off with production of a death certificate within 6 months, and the flight from SFO to LHR was under $800 return per ticket. Needless to say Virgin is now our official carrier.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes it is not about the bereavement fares policy but what the airline agent can do as they maybe able to bend the rules a little.
If you find yourself in the situation to need to fly due to a bereavement just explain the situation you are in to the reservation agent.
Years ago when I needed to fly immediately to the UK on Thanksgiving Sunday, BA was the only airline to offer to call me back while they tried to figure something out for me and they did call back a few times. A United check in agent let me have the last seat, a business class seat, for coach fare. Other times I was in the same situation Delta seemed very helpful.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

AA & BA basically blew me off this week, even so, I booked with them to go to Mum's funeral.

The price I got online was not too bad - $1500 TPA-LGW --LHR-MIA-TPA. It was not an emergency as such, but I could have used some TLC!

As I said in a previous post, I'll play for an upgrade at check-in. I'll report back if I get anywhere!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICH
AA & BA basically blew me off this week, even so, I booked with them to go to Mum's funeral.

The price I got online was not too bad - $1500 TPA-LGW --LHR-MIA-TPA. It was not an emergency as such, but I could have used some TLC!

As I said in a previous post, I'll play for an upgrade at check-in. I'll report back if I get anywhere!
Don't wear Jeans or other similar attire, for your flight.

As someone who has flown First on AA, thanks to several friends who work for them - It's a major "No-No"

Thinking of you, Rich. Safe Travels.

Jim.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wear Jeans or other similar attire, for your flight.

As someone who has flown First on AA, thanks to several friends who work for them - It's a major "No-No"

Thinking of you, Rich. Safe Travels.

Jim.
Well, I am taking a suit. I shall wear it. Are they that shallow?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICH
Well, I am taking a suit. I shall wear it. Are they that shallow?
Let's just say they will upgrade someone wearing dressy-kecks, before someone in jeans. They have kicked out some senior staff members from first class, because of it. They ended up sitting next to me in Coach. The guy was rather miffed, to say the least.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jun 25th 2013 at 11:52 am.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

That's usually due to the requirements for the staff perk though isn't it? They aren't going to boot fare paying passengers out of business/first for wearing jeans.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just say they will upgrade someone wearing dressy-kecks, before someone in jeans. They have kicked out some senior staff members from first class, because of it. They ended up sitting next to me in Coach. The guy was rather miffed, to say the least.

Jim.
Don't necesarily agree. Aren't upgrades these days usually based on frequent flyer status? In some cases they're applied before you even show up at the airport, in others they're assigned at the gate and then you're called up (before the gate agent has even seen you). I get upgraded quite regularly on BA these days and I always fly relatively scruffy.

Also US domestic flights usually upgrade based on status until the premium cabin is filled. Long-haul flights only seem to provide upgrades when the lower cabin is over-sold.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I always keep some Avios for this purpose. There's normally good last minute availability and then you only have to pay taxes rather than the most expensive fare possible.