Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bereavement Fares

Bereavement Fares

Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice
Default Bereavement Fares

Has anyone had any experience with Bereavement Fares?

My husband's father was admitted into hospital a few days ago and is not responding due to a stroke! We are trying to get prepared for an emergency flight to the UK and I just wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation?

Thank you kindly,
Hugs...Cali
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bereavement Fares

sorry to hear about your husbands father

As for fares, there was a thread about it a few weeks back that had a fair bit of info, cindyabs, woodsy and co all had some good info....
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:11 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caligirl4ever
Has anyone had any experience with Bereavement Fares?

My husband's father was admitted into hospital a few days ago and is not responding due to a stroke! We are trying to get prepared for an emergency flight to the UK and I just wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation?

Thank you kindly,
Hugs...Cali
Ring BA (or who ever you fly with) they will search and find the lowest available fare. You need to either produce a Dr's letter or in the worst case scenario, a copy of a death certificate on your return to the US. They will ask you for the name of the patient when you book the flight.
Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Thank you Bob and Bored Silly for your advice. I'll call and do a search relating to this subject!

Hugs,
Cali
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:02 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Ring BA (or who ever you fly with) they will search and find the lowest available fare. You need to either produce a Dr's letter or in the worst case scenario, a copy of a death certificate on your return to the US. They will ask you for the name of the patient when you book the flight.
Good luck.
Wow, I'd never heard of this. What relationship do you have to be to the patient?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Wow, I'd never heard of this. What relationship do you have to be to the patient?
depends on the airline, but usually have to be close relations.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for asking, he is my father-n-law.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I have limited experience with these, but from what I have seen, bereavement fares are generally not that appealing. For one, the concession is typically based upon the cost a full-fare ticket, which is a price well above what you often need to pay for other classes of ticket, even at the last minute. For another, you often do not qualify for the fare unless your family member has passed away, which isn't obviously helpful if you wish to visit someone who is ill.

In addition to the online ticket brokers (Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity), you should check the ads at the back of the Sunday travel sections of the Los Angeles Times or SF Chronicle for any fare deals available from consolidators (what you would call a bucket shop.) CheapTickets might also be worth contacting -- if you are in LA, it has an office near LAX.

If you have a student ID for a local college or university, you can also qualify for student fares, which don't tend to vary based upon departure date, and have low fees for date changes. You would need to book through a student agency such as STA, and also obtain an ISIC card, again from a student agency (about $25). Student fares are also often not age-restricted.

Best of luck to you.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Bereavement Fares

Look at this thread I started on this very subject, about a year ago.

I got a bereavement fare based on being daughter-in-law of the patient...

NC Penguin
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

When my mum died in May, The airlines couldn't give a toss about my situation and I basically paid full fare to go on short notice.

I called BMI, BA, Northwest, Continental, US Airways.

Continental were the best, offered most sympathy and tried to help me out the most as the ticketing agent had a relative with the same disease, but their flights were all booked solid.

BMI was $997
USAir was $977
Northwest was $1277

BA never even got back to me, and I have vowed never to fly them again because of it.

I flew US Airways and they were garbage, but at least did get me there on time.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:08 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news - bad situations at home are always magnified by the distance.

I had similar situation to Mancs with Singapore Airlines going home from Singapore when my dad died suddenly, late one saturday night. Going rate at the time was about S$1000, but when I went to the airport on the Sunday morning the cheapest they would do was almost S$4000, with the rather helpful comment that I should plan and book in advance through a travel agent. I'm not a violent guy, but I was a bit "unstable" and my wife had to restrain me from decking the tw@t. Anyway, I paid, and went, then when I got back, wrote a very polite letter to the customer relations dept. In return I got a very nice apology, and a full refund.

Anyway, I'd suggest calling the airlines direct and seeing what they can do. All the best
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:18 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

On the flip side, BA were great for me when booking the flight but crap on board.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My grandpa died last week and I was looking into these fares. Seems all they really do is waive the 7 day advanced purchase requirement but no discount on the actual fare. Unfortunate to say, I will be staying here for the funeral.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

OH I'm so sorry Duncan that you couldn't be with your family! That so sucks!!!!!!!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sorry to hear your news - bad situations at home are always magnified by the distance.

I had similar situation to Mancs with Singapore Airlines going home from Singapore when my dad died suddenly, late one saturday night. Going rate at the time was about S$1000, but when I went to the airport on the Sunday morning the cheapest they would do was almost S$4000, with the rather helpful comment that I should plan and book in advance through a travel agent. I'm not a violent guy, but I was a bit "unstable" and my wife had to restrain me from decking the tw@t. Anyway, I paid, and went, then when I got back, wrote a very polite letter to the customer relations dept. In return I got a very nice apology, and a full refund.

Anyway, I'd suggest calling the airlines direct and seeing what they can do. All the best

WOW ... Good for you! It's great to hear stories like these once in awhile ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.