Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Belongings exempt from customs fees

Belongings exempt from customs fees

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belongings exempt from customs fees

I believe I've heard that one's personal belongings are exempt for US customs fees when arriving on a K-1 or some similar visa.

Keith wants to ship a few things over, perhaps even by some secure form of mail (picky airlines probably won't let little Scottish daggers in the cabin ), but the post office doesn't know what to do with customs forms or whatever to prevent him being charged customs.

Anyone know how this works? What does he need to do?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belongings exempt from customs fees

THe shipping company or post office on his end should have the forms required. It is called something like "unaccompanied personal effects declaration" or something like that. You have to certify that you've owned things more than 12 months and no duty is payable.

Edit: Found this: Customs Information for United States
1. US custom form 3299 *the signed original is not required, a copy will suffice
2. Supplemental declaration
3. Passport copy
4. Power of attorney
5. Visa required for non-us visitors

Last edited by augigi; Feb 11th 2008 at 1:35 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I believe I've heard that one's personal belongings are exempt for US customs fees when arriving on a K-1 or some similar visa.

Keith wants to ship a few things over, perhaps even by some secure form of mail (picky airlines probably won't let little Scottish daggers in the cabin ), but the post office doesn't know what to do with customs forms or whatever to prevent him being charged customs.

From my experience moving to the US in 2002, my belongings were exempt from customs fees because they were "used", i.e. not new. To classify as "used", I think items had to be at least six months old.

You and Keith should read up very carefully about how to ship the daggers, whichever method you should choose.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
THe shipping company or post office on his end should have the forms required. It is called something like "unaccompanied personal effects declaration" or something like that. You have to certify that you've owned things more than 12 months and no duty is payable.

Edit: Found this: Customs Information for United States
1. US custom form 3299 *the signed original is not required, a copy will suffice
2. Supplemental declaration
3. Passport copy
4. Power of attorney
5. Visa required for non-us visitors
Thanks

The post office at his end *should* know, but they don't. Sigh.

ok, perhaps I'm being thick this morning but:

What is a supplemental declaration?
Power of Attorney.... for what?

And does anyone know where those forms are to be found?

Last edited by Tracym; Feb 11th 2008 at 2:46 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. The site I've been checking to send stuff (and where I saw that list) is:

http://www.worldbaggage.com.au/cgi-b...=united_states

I ended up going to a pack & send place which just got me to sign what it needed. You can check out the CBP site for the actual forms. I think the POA and supplemental declaration were if you're getting someone else to ship for you (such as world baggage). If you're sending yourself via post office, probably don't need them.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. The site I've been checking to send stuff (and where I saw that list) is:

http://www.worldbaggage.com.au/cgi-b...=united_states

I ended up going to a pack & send place which just got me to sign what it needed. You can check out the CBP site for the actual forms. I think the POA and supplemental declaration were if you're getting someone else to ship for you (such as world baggage). If you're sending yourself via post office, probably don't need them.
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy if you use a shipping agent...they will pack, sort out the customs forms etc...not the cheapest way of doing it but the easiest.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Tracy if you use a shipping agent...they will pack, sort out the customs forms etc...not the cheapest way of doing it but the easiest.
Is that reasonable for just a few little things though? Not saying it isn't, just wondering...

I've seen that www.excessbaggage.co.uk - do you recommend them, or any other in particular?

I want all his little pointy parts that go with the highland dress sent NOW - so there's time to fix the problem before the wedding, if they get lost or something.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He cannot carry on the plane but he should be able to pack them in his luggage. The problem with that is during screening will they be removed by the agents and not replaced or if replaced, stolen? I would go to the Customs site and see if there is a number you can call or email address available. Are they antiques? Or just boy toys?

If you think about it, paying customs isn't all that bad if you can get a monetary value on the daggers. You should probably spend more on hiring someone to ship them for you.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is that reasonable for just a few little things though? Not saying it isn't, just wondering...

I've seen that www.excessbaggage.co.uk - do you recommend them, or any other in particular?

I want all his little pointy parts that go with the highland dress sent NOW - so there's time to fix the problem before the wedding, if they get lost or something.
When we sold our house in the UK we had about 5 boxes of stuff shipped to the US...it was shipped as part of a container. Was it worth it...yes because we weren't picking up the bill. Seriously you can use shippers for a small amount of belongings...like I said it's not the cheapest but IMO it is the easiest.

Carriers like Fed-Ex will also ship Keith's goods...they should be able to help re: customs.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We mailed stuff from Greece, Tracy. It's a cheap effective way to move small things.
I've got the Customs links at home; I can post them for you tomorrow.
Or, google an article I wrote called 'Arriving in America'.. it's posted at familybasedimmigration.com and probably in a thread here somewhere...the link is in there.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
He cannot carry on the plane but he should be able to pack them in his luggage. The problem with that is during screening will they be removed by the agents and not replaced or if replaced, stolen? I would go to the Customs site and see if there is a number you can call or email address available. Are they antiques? Or just boy toys?

If you think about it, paying customs isn't all that bad if you can get a monetary value on the daggers. You should probably spend more on hiring someone to ship them for you.
lol nah, not really boy toys, they are somewhat special. They are also an integral piece of highland dress, and what he's wearing for our wedding. So if the airline lost the checked bag, I wolud be most unhappy. And trying to scare up highland gear (for him or brothers) with a few days notice in the US would probably not work too well. Hence my desire for him to send all the pointy bits ahead - if lost in the mail, there would be time to replace them anyway.

I guess the customs issue is secondary, with these things, I just want them to actually be here. But if he also ships over some other stuff, I'd like to avoid the customs fees.

Originally Posted by meauxna
We mailed stuff from Greece, Tracy. It's a cheap effective way to move small things.
I've got the Customs links at home; I can post them for you tomorrow.
Or, google an article I wrote called 'Arriving in America'.. it's posted at familybasedimmigration.com and probably in a thread here somewhere...the link is in there.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we sold our house in the UK we had about 5 boxes of stuff shipped to the US...it was shipped as part of a container. Was it worth it...yes because we weren't picking up the bill. Seriously you can use shippers for a small amount of belongings...like I said it's not the cheapest but IMO it is the easiest.

Carriers like Fed-Ex will also ship Keith's goods...they should be able to help re: customs.
Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Worked out hardly more expensive at all to use "pack and send" than to use the post office (Aus to US). I'm sending about 4 book-sized boxes and 2 suitcases via air. That way, they take care of all the forms and deliver to my door in the US once I've arrived.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Worked out hardly more expensive at all to use "pack and send" than to use the post office (Aus to US). I'm sending about 4 book-sized boxes and 2 suitcases via air. That way, they take care of all the forms and deliver to my door in the US once I've arrived.
We'll have to check it out, thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

When we came here years ago, you had 10 years in which to bring in personal belongings tax free. For several years, I brought back boxes on the plane, always told them it was Pre Owned Personal belongings, never had a problem
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.