Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

I'm going through the process of getting my California driver license, passed my written exam and taking the behind-the-wheel test in a week.

When calling the DMV to schedule I asked whether I could use my rental car for the test and they said that was fine as long as my name is on the insurance. They couldn't clarify exactly what type of documentation they need to see to confirm this.

Has anybody been in this situation? Is that folded paper contract thing they give you at the rental company enough, should I print out my reservation or try to get some other confirmation from Hertz?

Thanks for any pointers!

P.S. If you need to get your driver license sorted in summer, might want to schedule your behind-the-wheel test immediately after passing the written exam. I called two weeks later and could only get an appointment a few days before my temporary license expires an hour away in Gilroy (I think its all the kids taking it during their holidays).
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:52 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: behind-the-wheel driving test with a rental car

I did this..... I took out the hire car insurance and showed them the agreement.

no problem at all. They didn't even bat an eyelid.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siliconpete
I'm going through the process of getting my California driver license, passed my written exam and taking the behind-the-wheel test in a week.

When calling the DMV to schedule I asked whether I could use my rental car for the test and they said that was fine as long as my name is on the insurance. They couldn't clarify exactly what type of documentation they need to see to confirm this.

Has anybody been in this situation? Is that folded paper contract thing they give you at the rental company enough, should I print out my reservation or try to get some other confirmation from Hertz?

Thanks for any pointers!

P.S. If you need to get your driver license sorted in summer, might want to schedule your behind-the-wheel test immediately after passing the written exam. I called two weeks later and could only get an appointment a few days before my temporary license expires an hour away in Gilroy (I think its all the kids taking it during their holidays).
We had a similar problem when my daughter took her test. In NJ the car had to have a handbrake at the side of the driver's seat...all our cars had foot handbrakes. We contacted a driving school and she used one of their vehicles for the test.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any pointers!

Someone on BE said that they renewed their temporary license 3 times before he took the road test. I not sure if that is legal or the DMV clerk was just in a good mood.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I did this..... I took out the hire car insurance and showed them the agreement.

no problem at all. They didn't even bat an eyelid.
Likewise! ..... I did my test in a small SUV!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info everyone - maybe I'm making more of a problem out of this than it should be

I've got car insurance and loss damage waiver included in the company rate I'm using. What does that insurance document look like? AFAIK, the only document I have is the rental agreement with my name, approximate total cost and a mention that LDW is included in the rate.

Any tips for the behind-the-wheel test itself, has anybody taken it in Gilroy?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Also check with the rental company to make sure they authorize you to use your rental car for taking the road test. I believe Enterprise automatically authorizes renters to the use the car and Hertz requires a document from them indicating that you can use the rental car for a road test.

Also check the following link to make sure that everything required by the DMV is functional prior to taking the test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl22.htm
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Stay between the center line and the curb, avoid other vehicles and pedestrians, and obey STOP signs and red lights. That seems to be all that is required to pass a test*, and will put the quality of your driving ahead of most Americans!

* You may also have to do a parallel parking manoeuvre.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my behind the wheel test down in Seaside on Tuesday. I don't envisage too many problems, as already said, US driving standards are diabolical so unless you kill someone it's probably a pass if you can start the engine. That said, if I have to parallel park, that might throw up a problem or 2, I'm not used to jacking into spaces with a boot LOL
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We had a similar problem when my daughter took her test. In NJ the car had to have a handbrake at the side of the driver's seat...all our cars had foot handbrakes. We contacted a driving school and she used one of their vehicles for the test.

Explanation, please ;-)

Jim
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Explanation, please ;-)

Jim
How do I know what the flippin' thing is called...I'm a woman.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:21 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info everyone - maybe I'm making more of a problem out of this than it should be

I've got car insurance and loss damage waiver included in the company rate I'm using. What does that insurance document look like? AFAIK, the only document I have is the rental agreement with my name, approximate total cost and a mention that LDW is included in the rate.

I did mine in a Hertz rental. I have corporate Gold membership (am thinking you may have the same) so only had the bit of card they leave hung on the mirror when you pick up the car. It had my name on it and some mention of insurance. The instructor had a slightly strange look as she checked it out but there was no issue. I think I got more of a look from the fact that I had driven there to take a test and clearly was going to drive home whether I passed or not!

My thread on this here
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bink
...... I think I got more of a look from the fact that I had driven there to take a test and clearly was going to drive home whether I passed or not! .....
It was about the same for me, as I remember it.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby used a rental car too with no problems at all.

A nice new swishy one, with a reversing camera that showed what was behind you in glorious dashboard technicolour on the 6" media screen.

Which certainly made doing the parallel parking into the cones manoeuvre very simple.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Stay between the center line and the curb, avoid other vehicles and pedestrians, and obey STOP signs and red lights. That seems to be all that is required to pass a test*, and will put the quality of your driving ahead of most Americans!

* You may also have to do a parallel parking manoeuvre.
I had to do a parallel park and then the test itself was only 6 mins or so! 5 right turns, 2 left turns and that was that!

Just overemphasize everything. Make sure they can see you check your mirrors. Make sure you stop at the STOP signs (not nearly stop, STOP) and you should be good to go!

I did mine in a Saturn Aura - good little car actually. The girl in front of me who was clearly already nervous failed before leaving the car park as the parallel park was the first thing you had to do. She was in a Ford Expedition or Excursion (can't remember which but either way not a small SUV!). I felt bad for her - she should have been doing it in something like me. Parallel parking is easy when you're in a small car and can actually see what you're doing!

Last edited by Bink; Aug 29th 2013 at 9:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.