Beer & Pubs

Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:42 pm
up the gunners

dowjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beer & Pubs

For Brits, and those "British by injection" (as my wife recently described herself), be sure to visit "Brits Pub" by Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis, MN if you ever get the chance.

Curry is decent, and Stella brings back the memories.

Read in a paper there the other week that Bob Monkhouse died, BTW.

I'm an investment broker (& UK citizen) in W Wisconsin and it is my dream to retire at 45 and invest my hard saved $s into opening up a British pub.

What a dream...anyone had any success trying something similar?

Matt
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:19 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beer & Pubs

There are enough British Expat's out that way. Most probably long for something that reminds them of home. I'm moving to Wisconsin and would love to find an authentic, or as authentic as can be British pub in Wisconsin.

You would have to get the following beers, all fav's: Becks, Boddingtons and London Pride

I think its a great idea!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:27 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo
You would have to get the following beers, all fav's: Becks, Boddingtons and London Pride

I think its a great idea!
Don't forget John Smith's bitter!!! When I was a party animal, I started getting such bad hangovers with lager, I switched to the bitter, and I got totally addicted to it!! I got some funny looks from people in the pubs, though. They couldn't understand why a 5'5", 110lb woman would want to stand there with a pint of bitter!!! I don't touch the stuff now, though. Corey doesn't drink at all, and I didn't want to get plastered in front of him, as it's really annoying having a drunk person lolling all over the place when you're sober as a judge!!!

Good luck in your endeavour, dowjones!!!!

Kate. xxxx
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:32 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

Visited a nice pub while stuck in Cary, NC a few months back. It was in the McGregor Village and was called 'The Fox & Hounds'.

However, I'm sure I remember someone (Patrick?) saying that it has since closed down. Is this correct? I could find no information on its closure on the internet.

Best
GJB
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a cool place. I havent tried the Brit pubs here, as I heard they sucked.

I think American bars are awful places to go for a drink. Most have no windows and have real low level lighting in them. Much prefer a good old British pub with a beer garden.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:54 pm
up the gunners

dowjones is an unknown quantity at this point

My father in law choked drinking from a Boddingtons during the superbowl. He went bright red and passed out on the floor. Luckily, I used to be in the Red Cross and got him to cough up his last gulp + the remains of a grilled chicken breast...spent the rest of the game at the hospital.

Got my hands on a case of Becks the other day and he doesn't trust me enough to try my beer now.

Matt
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

dj, sent you a pm...........
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:03 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

I just found it on the net, the Fox & Hounds in Cary is indeed closed. No reason as to why though, perhaps they went bankrupt. A shame, I'll be back in Cary for a week or two in about a month and wanted somewhere good to have a beer and a game of darts.

Any other ideas Patrick? I did find some place out Chapel Hill way, with a big bar downstairs and about 5 dart boards in a row on a balcony above. I want to say it was called Woody's, but I couldn't swear to it.

Gary
Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GJB
Visited a nice pub while stuck in Cary, NC a few months back. It was in the McGregor Village and was called 'The Fox & Hounds'.

However, I'm sure I remember someone (Patrick?) saying that it has since closed down. Is this correct? I could find no information on its closure on the internet.

Best
GJB

That was me! The Fox and Hounds was a Cary institution. I had reliable info from the local newspaper's restaurant reviewer that the pub had closed down at the end of 2003.

I know some Brits in the area who are saddened that their fave pub has closed down.

The pub is not to be confused with a chain that owns pubs in NC called the Fox and Hound (I think it's hound singular).
Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GJB
I just found it on the net, the Fox & Hounds in Cary is indeed closed. No reason as to why though, perhaps they went bankrupt. A shame, I'll be back in Cary for a week or two in about a month and wanted somewhere good to have a beer and a game of darts.

Any other ideas Patrick? I did find some place out Chapel Hill way, with a big bar downstairs and about 5 dart boards in a row on a balcony above. I want to say it was called Woody's, but I couldn't swear to it.

Gary
I hear the Hibernian (has a branch in Cary) is good for a drink and the food's supposed to be good too. I'll PM you the address.

Woody's is a "sports bar" type place. Never been to one but passed the one in Cary. Sign says it's a sports bar and it probably doesn't show British sports.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:36 am
Isabelle's Mommy

AndysGirl will become famous soon enough

We live in Oklahoma City and their really isnt a pub here. The nearest one for us is in Dallas.

Last October my husband wanted to see the last qualifying game for the Euro 2004 match against (England vs)Turkey. We got up early, drove down, paid $20 each to see the game! I wasnt too happy about the price, but it was awesome. Felt like we were in England. I think a handful of people, including me were the only Americans. Even though it was packed and we stood at the bar the whole time, it was great. We even got an offer to stay at a fellow Englishmans house the next time we came down. It made my husband feel at home.

We havent been back, but its not the last time we will go either.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stella, that's Stella Artois, hardly British.

Becks last time I looked is German.

John Smiths I would not drink unless desperate and Boddy's, well no canals here.

London Pride is another issue, but not in Keg format which is all you get, can not imagine it travelling draught.

Perhaps I am fortunate, practically every town here has at least one brew pub with half a dozen + varieties. Left Hand is my favourite and they do have one on hand pump in their Tap Room.

Not the same, never could be, but all very drinkable.

PS with any of them if you pay your money and joing their Pint Club you get your own 20oz glass! $25 pa for 25% extra beer, well the maths are very favourable.

Now all I need to do is persuade one of them to sign up for the Euro footie coverage, fat chance.....
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AndysGirl
We live in Oklahoma City and their really isnt a pub here. The nearest one for us is in Dallas.
I haven't found one in this part of Florida although maybe Pensacola has, trouble is no point when you have to drive an hr home after can't drink.
I guess we'll have to make the 5-6 hr journey to Orlando for the weekend soon and check out all the British pubs there, I am sure they are many.
I sure do miss going down the pub for a few and the pub quiz nights. Even if they had one here I'd never know the answers in US anyway.
Suzie
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:11 am
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dowjones
For Brits, and those "British by injection" (as my wife recently described herself), be sure to visit "Brits Pub" by Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis, MN if you ever get the chance.

Curry is decent, and Stella brings back the memories.

Read in a paper there the other week that Bob Monkhouse died, BTW.

I'm an investment broker (& UK citizen) in W Wisconsin and it is my dream to retire at 45 and invest my hard saved $s into opening up a British pub.

What a dream...anyone had any success trying something similar?

Matt
They sell Stella in Brits??? Shit, i have never noticed that. Always went for the old Tennants!!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suzieque
I haven't found one in this part of Florida although maybe Pensacola has, trouble is no point when you have to drive an hr home after can't drink.
I guess we'll have to make the 5-6 hr journey to Orlando for the weekend soon and check out all the British pubs there, I am sure they are many.
I sure do miss going down the pub for a few and the pub quiz nights. Even if they had one here I'd never know the answers in US anyway.
Suzie
There's a few Brit pubs in Sarasota, FL and Patricks the Irish bar- the one we go to most has changed hands so many times though in the 10 years its been open, and its definitely not as good as it used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.