Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things!

Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things!

Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

FLExpat13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things

We still own a property in Scotland and are talking of a move back in June 18 if we do go, so gives us a good few years before my eldest would go to uni. We are officially still uk residents.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things

Originally Posted by FLExpat13
We still own a property in Scotland and are talking of a move back in June 18 if we do go, so gives us a good few years before my eldest would go to uni. We are officially still uk residents.
You are not UK residents if you have been living in the US.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I should’ve worded that better! On assignment here and if we went back we would not have residency issues for university etc.
Anyway my main question was around moving a 15 yo back into the uk school system. Anyone have any advice?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are not UK residents if you have been living in the US.
If they are on any closed-end visa, such as an L-1/L-2 or H-1/H-4 then people have reported success in arguing that they are still resident in the UK for the limited purposes of determining eligibility for domestic tuition rates at university for their children.

Residency for pretty much any other reason, most notably taxes, is a very different matter!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Again, this is off topic to my issue, but my husband is paid out of uk and pays taxes there so we are still uk taxpayers for now until we make a final decision.
Anyone been through our issue with the kids and come out the other side? (Staying and going home stories welcome!)
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, your original post has finally turned up.
Whatever you do, the kids will survive and really its boils down to what is best for you and your husband with one proviso. How would you assess your kids' characters.

Looking back at our time, we made our decision to stay, we made a check list of things to consider. Our eldest was out biggest concern as she was almost 16 by that time and would have missed out on her Standard grades. The person we didn't consider was our middle son. He was already showing signs of the issues that would be revealed in the months immediately after our decision to stay. In reality, they were there from the first week of school here but we put it down the big changes he was experiencing from moving here. He always struggled to assimilate over here and never did really. He lives in Edinburgh now.

Just make sure its a family decision and you all put down a list of pros and cons.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Again, this is off topic to my issue, but my husband is paid out of uk and pays taxes there so we are still uk taxpayers for now ....
That's not legal in the US, .... unless your husband's employer is paying taxes in the US on his behalf.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Wow - so many tax questions!! Yes it is legal dont worry, he works for a global company and is on assignment in the US. Taxes are all taken care of and nothing dodgy going on.
ANYWAY!
Thanks jjmb it's nice to hear someone who has been through similar. Also done the pro's and con's list for everyone, but sometimes heart takes over practicality eh... you are so right - I feel we are focusing a lot on our eldest, being the one who would take the worst impact if we go back to the UK, and the smaller ones would be fine slot back in, but if we stay they would be impacted as ideally, they want to go home. But we are the adults and have to make these tough decisions! Interesting that your middle child lives in Edinburgh now, do you get over to see him much?
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Again, this is off topic to my issue, but my husband is paid out of uk and pays taxes there so we are still uk taxpayers for now until we make a final decision.
Anyone been through our issue with the kids and come out the other side? (Staying and going home stories welcome!)
You must also file and pay US taxes as you are US residents...not UK resident. It makes no difference where the employer is or where you are paid...you are physically living in the US.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I should’ve worded that better! On assignment here and if we went back we would not have residency issues for university etc.
Anyway my main question was around moving a 15 yo back into the uk school system. Anyone have any advice?
If you are moving back next June, get in touch with the school and they can give you advise about the course work that will be required and issues they can anticipate (I assuming she would be returning to the same school). When we moved over here, we were only here for a temporary assignment for 14 months () but the school didn't think it would be an issue. Just a couple of years previously, a couple of American kids, whose parents were on assignment, attended the school and they seem to have no issues fitting right into the High school system and passed their exams with flying colours. I think they did get some extra tuition at the beginning to get them up to speed but that is all.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow - so many tax questions!! Yes it is legal dont worry, he works for a global company and is on assignment in the US. Taxes are all taken care of and nothing dodgy going on.
ANYWAY!
Thanks jjmb it's nice to hear someone who has been through similar. Also done the pro's and con's list for everyone, but sometimes heart takes over practicality eh... you are so right - I feel we are focusing a lot on our eldest, being the one who would take the worst impact if we go back to the UK, and the smaller ones would be fine slot back in, but if we stay they would be impacted as ideally, they want to go home. But we are the adults and have to make these tough decisions! Interesting that your middle child lives in Edinburgh now, do you get over to see him much?
No it is not legal if you are not filing and paying US taxes...and the last thing you want to do is get on the wrong side of the IRS. Hopefully you have...and just omitted to tell us.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow - Edinburgh now, do you get over to see him much?
He only moved over there in January after the breakdown of his marriage. He might be on the move again as his girlfriend is homesick for the Netherlands. I will see him in Nov and depending on where he is, again in 2018.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Ok enough tax experts please! Tax is dealt with. We don’t have an issue and are perfectly legal..... thanks for your concern but we are not breaking the law and pay our taxes - again, appreciate people who are replying to my dilemma.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You must also file and pay US taxes as you are US residents...not UK resident. It makes no difference where the employer is or where you are paid...you are physically living in the US.
When we first come over here, we were paid in a similar fashion as we were on assignment so still technically on the UK payroll. We had to file UK and US tax returns for first 2-3 yrs of our stay. Way too complicated for us, done completely by the company accountants.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjmb
If you are moving back next June, get in touch with the school and they can give you advise about the course work that will be required and issues they can anticipate (I assuming she would be returning to the same school). When we moved over here, we were only here for a temporary assignment for 14 months () but the school didn't think it would be an issue. Just a couple of years previously, a couple of American kids, whose parents were on assignment, attended the school and they seem to have no issues fitting right into the High school system and passed their exams with flying colours. I think they did get some extra tuition at the beginning to get them up to speed but that is all.
Thanks jjmb. If the decision is to go back then I would certainly be back in touch with the School, we were also on 18 month Assignment which has passed 🙄 but when we came here the school didn’t think there would be an issue for him slotting back in. Problem is it’s a year later than planned and obviously a crucial time exam wise. If we do decide to go home I’m sure the school will help with what he needs to catch up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.