British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   becoming a police officer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/becoming-police-officer-831208/)

jimmymac96 Apr 13th 2014 9:08 pm

becoming a police officer

Hello everyone, I am hoping to marry my US girlfriend in a couple years time, once I get my green card will it hard to become a police officer, I know certain departments will hire foreigners on a green card, basically what I'm asking is how hard is it to become a cop, especially with a green card? I am specifically looking to join the chicago police department, what are my chances of being selected? Also during my background check and all that, will they have access to british NHS medical records?

Michael Apr 13th 2014 9:28 pm

Re: becoming a police officer

Originally Posted by jimmymac96 (Post 11217391)
Hello everyone, I am hoping to marry my US girlfriend in a couple years time, once I get my green card will it hard to become a police officer, I know certain departments will hire foreigners on a green card, basically what I'm asking is how hard is it to become a cop, especially with a green card? I am specifically looking to join the chicago police department, what are my chances of being selected? Also during my background check and all that, will they have access to british NHS medical records?

Most police departments require US citizenship. As far as NHS medical records, they very likely don't have access to them any more than they have access to US health records but may require you to provide them to be considered for the position.

jimmymac96 Apr 13th 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11217416)
Most police departments require US citizenship. As far as NHS medical records, they very likely don't have access to them any more than they have access to US health records but may require you to provide them to be considered for the position.

Thanks mate, as far as i'm concerned you just need a green card to join the chicago police department, I'm just worried as i have heard it is very hard to join these days! I'm hoping to maybe study law or CJ while out in america.

mikelincs Apr 13th 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jimmymac96 (Post 11217420)
Thanks mate, as far as i'm concerned you just need a green card to join the chicago police department, I'm just worried as i have heard it is very hard to join these days! I'm hoping to maybe study law or CJ while out in america.

From their own website, you do have to be a US citizen, and a resident of Chicago, and have to sit an exam.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...gust-2013/CPD/

markonline1 Apr 13th 2014 9:47 pm

Yep, every position I've seen, you need to be a citizen.

civilservant Apr 13th 2014 10:44 pm

You'll be competing against people with 4 year batchelors degrees or those recently left the military, both of which are very desirable to PDs.

lansbury Apr 13th 2014 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11217434)
Yep, every position I've seen, you need to be a citizen.

About time that myth was put to rest. There are several States and numerous departments that either don't require people to be a citizen, or a citizen when recruited.

lansbury Apr 13th 2014 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11217474)
You'll be competing against people with 4 year batchelors degrees or those recently left the military, both of which are very desirable to PDs.

In fact service as a reserve officer will count more.

jimmymac96 Apr 14th 2014 9:32 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11217428)
From their own website, you do have to be a US citizen, and a resident of Chicago, and have to sit an exam.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...gust-2013/CPD/

That's not the official chicago police department website, on the official chicago police department website it says you only need a green card.

jimmymac96 Apr 14th 2014 9:36 am

Well so far some of you guys have just been saying I need to be a US citizen, which is incorrect. But if I was to study at a college and be in peak physical condition hopefully I'd stand a chance.

mikelincs Apr 14th 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jimmymac96 (Post 11217937)
Well so far some of you guys have just been saying I need to be a US citizen, which is incorrect. But if I was to study at a college and be in peak physical condition hopefully I'd stand a chance.

Suspect that study in US college of the correct course would be the best way, useful reading here.

http://work.chron.com/chicago-police...ions-1012.html

as it says, green card is acceptable, and not as in the original link I posted, college course says, 'an accredited course'

Awesome Welles Apr 14th 2014 1:35 pm

My daughter is a Sheriff's Deputy.
There is a hell of a lot more to this than 'being fit' and having some form of criminal justice qualification.

Competition for jobs is fierce. You would need to attend a law enforcement training academy utilized by the agency you hope to recruit you. Simply completing the course is no guarantee of a position at the conclusion.
Ideally, you should be sponsored by the agency, who then pay for the training - best way to accomplish that is to work in a civilian capacity - and then progress to a policing role.

Just to add a little perspective - around 10% of successful academy trainees are offered a job by a police agency within 3 months of finishing the course - so you need to be a stand-out to get selected.

Also worthy of note - there were 11 ex-military trainees in my daughter's class - 6 dropped out before completion and none of them got offers at the end of it (all now employed in prison/jail roles apparently) - being an ex-soldier does not correlate with being a good cop, it would seem.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2014 3:08 pm

The local lady police women would not be described as 'Fit' using which every definition of the term being considered.

Military Police would help.

Apparently there is one Police Officer locally ex UK, I think he is a GC Holder, runs a Barbers on his days off.

Bob Apr 14th 2014 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11217481)
About time that myth was put to rest. There are several States and numerous departments that either don't require people to be a citizen, or a citizen when recruited.

True, but realistically, in a big city. It's not going to happen.

lansbury Apr 14th 2014 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 11218228)
You would need to attend a law enforcement training academy utilized by the agency you hope to recruit you. Simply completing the course is no guarantee of a position at the conclusion.

That like most things in the US depends where you are. In Oregon, for one, you get hired as an officer by a department and then sent to the academy. You can't go to the academy without a job.