Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To become a US Citizen..........

To become a US Citizen..........

Old May 28th 2006, 5:59 pm
loving every minute of it

MeliTa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To become a US Citizen..........

Is it true that an immigrant wanting to become a US Citizen must remain married up until filing for citizenship to the spouse that sponsered them to come to the US or was I misinformed?

Thank you
Melita
Old May 28th 2006, 6:01 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To become a US Citizen..........

Originally Posted by MeliTa
Is it true that an immigrant wanting to become a US Citizen must remain married up until filing for citizenship to the spouse that sponsered them to come to the US or was I misinformed?

Thank you
Melita
That's a loaded question if ever I heard one........
Old May 28th 2006, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there's a marriage based forum where you'll get better answers....but... if you've had conditions removed, then you don't need to be married, just have to have greencard for 5 years instead of 3 if you ain't married to USC.
Old May 29th 2006, 4:33 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Melita
You hve been misinformed.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:48 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Melita
So far as I know you have to have been married long enough to show that it was not a marriage of convenience.

Being divorced from your original sponsor is not a bar to citizenship in itself.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Melita
What's it say on the USCIS website? That would be one place to find your answer.
Old May 30th 2006, 4:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celsius
What's it say on the USCIS website? That would be one place to find your answer.
There is a whole section on USCIS, but Bob's response answered the question.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:12 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

Take it from me, you were misinformed. I am no longer married to my original sponsor, haven't been for sometime. I am also living proof that you can get the conditions removed from your original "temporary" GC even if you arent married at the time of renewal.. altho i certainly wouldnt recommend that path.. it aint no fun at all. Also never forget the saying "hell hath no fury..", never has a truer thing been said.