British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Beating the heat? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/beating-heat-725964/)

Bob Jul 22nd 2011 8:19 pm

Beating the heat?

So all those melting under the heat...what are you lot doing to beat the heat?

I'm hiding in our apartment, with the AC blaring...after the little one wanted to play hide and seek out side.

Was at the town splash pad yesterday, which was lovely and cool...took the little one a while to dunk her head though and the littlest one hated it :D

It's 103F out at the moment and the heat index is supposedly making it 108F...at least it isn't all that humid, which is a relief as the previous town we lived in would get well humid.

sime303 Jul 22nd 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Beating the heat?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9512598)
So all those melting under the heat...what are you lot doing to beat the heat?

I'm hiding in our apartment, with the AC blaring...after the little one wanted to play hide and seek out side.

Was at the town splash pad yesterday, which was lovely and cool...took the little one a while to dunk her head though and the littlest one hated it :D

It's 103F out at the moment and the heat index is supposedly making it 108F...at least it isn't all that humid, which is a relief as the previous town we lived in would get well humid.

Apart from the hide and seek, same as. :cool:

Bob Jul 22nd 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 9512612)
Apart from the hide and seek, same as. :cool:

Which reminds me, I probably should go get her...

Spoiler:
Just in case I had to say it, joking...of course I'm not going to get her and break her illusion of winning :D

Jerseygirl Jul 22nd 2011 8:52 pm

107F driving down the road this afternoon. Max so far today on my max/min thermometer that's in the shade...106F. :thumbup:

I don't think it's as humid as yesterday. Yesterday when I got out of the car my sunglasses steamed up.

Giantaxe Jul 22nd 2011 8:55 pm

What heat? :)

Ash UK/US Jul 22nd 2011 8:57 pm

We have AC in the house and a pool in the yard. The pool has been 90 or above most of the week.

Bob Jul 22nd 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9512665)
We have AC in the house and a pool in the yard. The pool has been 90 or above most of the week.

that's a sweaty pool :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 22nd 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9512665)

I won't use the pool unless the water temp is 90. Usually costs a fortune to heat...not this week. :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 22nd 2011 9:06 pm

You are all a bunch of wimps......welcome to our world:lol:;)

MrEmjoy Jul 22nd 2011 9:09 pm

We had a heat index of 120 not far from here on Thursday.

It's hovering around 90 air temp though.

sir_eccles Jul 22nd 2011 9:44 pm

Do what everyone who lives in such heat all the time does, turn on the AC and wait for the bill. We have ours set to a lovely 76F. Might get in the pool later.

Karrie72 Jul 22nd 2011 9:48 pm

Well let's see...last night we all slept downstairs huddled around the only ac in the house, fun times, then this morning I got up and went around the house hanging sheets over the windows to keep the sun out. Then this afternoon we went to the beach and basically sat in the ocean for 3 hours. 101 in Maine today...:rolleyes:

tamms_1965 Jul 22nd 2011 9:49 pm

Staying in air conditioned buildings at all times and getting ready to have a brewski. I haven't cooked since Wed but I'm going to fire up the grill later when it gets below 90 out there.

Jerseygirl Jul 22nd 2011 10:01 pm

Hottest place in the country according to NBC is Newark...108F. I was there it was only 107F. :frown:

Mummy in the foothills Jul 22nd 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 9512689)
You are all a bunch of wimps......welcome to our world:lol:;)

Thats not fair, they have super high humidity, isn't dry as a bone in Texas?
We are pretty normal for summer today 95 but dry, I still don't like it.
AC set at 79 and we are hiding out.
We used to go hang at the Mall all day when it got too hot, now the mall is too far away so we stay home.