Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beating the heat?

Beating the heat?

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beating the heat?

So all those melting under the heat...what are you lot doing to beat the heat?

I'm hiding in our apartment, with the AC blaring...after the little one wanted to play hide and seek out side.

Was at the town splash pad yesterday, which was lovely and cool...took the little one a while to dunk her head though and the littlest one hated it

It's 103F out at the moment and the heat index is supposedly making it 108F...at least it isn't all that humid, which is a relief as the previous town we lived in would get well humid.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:29 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beating the heat?

Originally Posted by Bob
So all those melting under the heat...what are you lot doing to beat the heat?

I'm hiding in our apartment, with the AC blaring...after the little one wanted to play hide and seek out side.

Was at the town splash pad yesterday, which was lovely and cool...took the little one a while to dunk her head though and the littlest one hated it

It's 103F out at the moment and the heat index is supposedly making it 108F...at least it isn't all that humid, which is a relief as the previous town we lived in would get well humid.
Apart from the hide and seek, same as.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Apart from the hide and seek, same as.
Which reminds me, I probably should go get her...

Spoiler:
Just in case I had to say it, joking...of course I'm not going to get her and break her illusion of winning
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

107F driving down the road this afternoon. Max so far today on my max/min thermometer that's in the shade...106F.

I don't think it's as humid as yesterday. Yesterday when I got out of the car my sunglasses steamed up.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

What heat?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

We have AC in the house and a pool in the yard. The pool has been 90 or above most of the week.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
We have AC in the house and a pool in the yard. The pool has been 90 or above most of the week.
that's a sweaty pool
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I won't use the pool unless the water temp is 90. Usually costs a fortune to heat...not this week.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You are all a bunch of wimps......welcome to our world
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:09 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

We had a heat index of 120 not far from here on Thursday.

It's hovering around 90 air temp though.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Do what everyone who lives in such heat all the time does, turn on the AC and wait for the bill. We have ours set to a lovely 76F. Might get in the pool later.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Well let's see...last night we all slept downstairs huddled around the only ac in the house, fun times, then this morning I got up and went around the house hanging sheets over the windows to keep the sun out. Then this afternoon we went to the beach and basically sat in the ocean for 3 hours. 101 in Maine today...
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:49 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Staying in air conditioned buildings at all times and getting ready to have a brewski. I haven't cooked since Wed but I'm going to fire up the grill later when it gets below 90 out there.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hottest place in the country according to NBC is Newark...108F. I was there it was only 107F.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You are all a bunch of wimps......welcome to our world
Thats not fair, they have super high humidity, isn't dry as a bone in Texas?
We are pretty normal for summer today 95 but dry, I still don't like it.
AC set at 79 and we are hiding out.
We used to go hang at the Mall all day when it got too hot, now the mall is too far away so we stay home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.