View Poll Results: BBQ - Gas or charcoal?
Gas
51.28%
Charcoal
43.59%
Other
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

BBQs

Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:23 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBQs

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I use one of those little cast iron containers from Lowes, and put some wet hickory or whatever in it. Adds a great smokey taste
Rob
Wet? Eugh... I've never heard of any smoking foods that way.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Seasonings & marinate it, cook slowly.
Marinading seems to be the way to go - unfortunately.

A good steak shoudn't need that on a proper BBQ.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:00 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
When one talks about a gas barbecue/grill, that is assumed to be natural gas. Propane is somewhat different and I've never heard anyone who referred to a propane fueld barbecue/grill as a gas fueled...
Just trying to distinguish between the two.
NC Penguin
Lowes and Home Depot do ... but what do they know ...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-LP&lpage=none
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
When one talks about a gas barbecue/grill, that is assumed to be natural gas. Propane is somewhat different and I've never heard anyone who referred to a propane fueld barbecue/grill as a gas fueled...

Just trying to distinguish between the two.

NC Penguin
AFAIK, gas grills are always propane. I guess you could hook a grill up to natural gas, but that provides for sub-optimal portability. The propane is dead cheap and comes from the gas station - about $5 - $10 to fill a tank that lasts forever (unless you pay ridiculous prices at one of the 'tank exchange' places).

The charcoal grills do give a better flavour, but it's hard to beat the convenience and cheapness of gas.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'd love to live in a part of the US, where we have hot weather, no Mossies and lack of humidity and I can sit around sipping a cold one waiting for the embers to turn grey,
But is Phoenix ready for you?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We use a gas(propane) one as well just because it's so much easier and quicker,don't have to wait so long for the coals to be ready,but the food definately tastes better on a charcoal grill,but my husband is in charge of doing any bbq-ing,and he was away quite a bit this past year so I bought an electric George Forman type grill(it's a Hamilton Beach brand) so I could do the grilling myself indoors...I love it,boneless chicken especially, is fantastic on it!,and it cooks so fast it doesn't heat the house up with the a/c on and it's great to be able to use it all year round,regardless of the weather/mossies/humidity!....Sophia
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Gas for a better, even cooking. If you want the ashy taste get some applewood chippings and sprinkle them on the burners.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Gas for a better, even cooking. If you want the ashy taste get some applewood chippings and sprinkle them on the burners.
Yes my husband wets some,usually, hickory wood chips down and puts them in a little metal pan in the grill to add flavour,but I don't think it makes much of a difference,maybe they're not wet enough,or in there long enough?...Sophia
Old Jan 15th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'd love to live in a part of the US, where we have hot weather, no Mossies and lack of humidity and I can sit around sipping a cold one waiting for the embers to turn grey, but alas.... so it's gas for us, slap the mossie repellant on, run out the door, light it, run back in, more repellant, run back out, throw the meat on the barbie and watch it burn from the safety of the family room........ I love barbecues
Move to the Valley of the Sun
Old Jan 15th 2006, 3:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Move to the Valley of the Sun
Nooooooo, this town ain't big enough for the both of us!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Gas, less fuss, which is a big plus when you can use it all year round.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that whilst I use a gas bbq that it takes a lot of the fun and excitement out of bbq-ing. The lighting process especially seems to be less of an adrenaline rush - who can forget the rush one experiences when spraying extra lighter fluid on a charcoal bbq that is struggling to ignite
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:40 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
So here in Florida I can have a BBQ every weekend... which is nice.

The question is, do you prefer a plain gas BBQ or the old fashioned charcoal type?

The reason I ask is everyone here seems to have a plain gas BBQ, but the food tastes a bit plain; whereas, at home in the UK I used a charcoal BBQ and the food tasted better.

Any tips for better tasting food on a gas BBQ?
charcoal definitely the way to go..we love to barbecue...stuff comes out great...hey about about we all exchange BBQ recipes...I'm looking for new eats
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
charcoal definitely the way to go..we love to barbecue...stuff comes out great...hey about about we all exchange BBQ recipes...I'm looking for new eats
We marinate chicken breasts in Good Seasons Italian dressing, and then put them on a caesar salad. Pretty good.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
Yes my husband wets some,usually, hickory wood chips down and puts them in a little metal pan in the grill to add flavour,but I don't think it makes much of a difference,maybe they're not wet enough,or in there long enough?...Sophia
Ive found they are best if left in water over night so they just smoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.