Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BBC Internet to Charge?

BBC Internet to Charge?

Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Internet to Charge?

Originally Posted by Boiler
All the ones that I have seen switch from one location to another, any links on one that would work?
nope.... they are by their nature transient.

Ask Bob.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
nope.... they are by their nature transient.

Ask Bob.
How about transient but within the UK
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:44 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
First mistake the BBC has made in this whole venture is to hire Accenture. The so-called business consultancy suck and this is based on having had to work with them back in the UK....
All business consultancy firms suck - Accenture, Bearing Point, IBM, Deloitte, Cap Gemini etc. They are are leeches and why so many businesses use them is beyond me - an absolute joke.
Working closely with IBM and Accenture resources right now I can tell you first hand that their services aren't worth the steam off my p*ss
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cpe111
I have seen this one, but could not see a way to just use UK locales.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a market here.
There is...and you pay a lot for it if you want one that has decent bandwidth otherwise it ain't worth it...those free ones don't ahve the bandwidth to for anything, radio is a struggle, tv would be a joke.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How about transient but within the UK
there wouldn't be a point to it....

and those free public server lists, don't bother with them, only good if you want to hide your IP number, but shite if you want to use bandwidth for video streaming, have to do a google for paid proxy services.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
there wouldn't be a point to it....

and those free public server lists, don't bother with them, only good if you want to hide your IP number, but shite if you want to use bandwidth for video streaming, have to do a google for paid proxy services.
So I can access those broadcasts etc that are restricted otherwise to those in the UK, examples:

Radio 5 Live certain events.

Coventry and Warwick Radio - match commentary

Sky TV - Live streaming of Sky Sports etc, my Brother has Sky so i could piggyback on him.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Mar 8th 2006 at 6:39 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:02 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

So I can access those broadcasts etc that are restricted otherwise to those in the UK, examples:

Radio 5 Live certain events.

Coventry and Warwick Radio - match commentary

Sky TV - Live streaming of Sky Sports etc, my Brother has Sky so i could piggyback on him.
Is PC anywhere an option if you have a machine back in blighty you can use as a host ??
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:22 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Is PC anywhere an option if you have a machine back in blighty you can use as a host ??
You could almost certainly use PCAnywhere for that. If you have Windows XP on both machine you could probably use "Remote Desktop" the same way. what would happen to your connection speed is anybody's guess.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:35 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
what would happen to your connection speed is anybody's guess.
that's what i was wondering about
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:30 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
that's what i was wondering about
I think that Remote Desktop would be better than PCAnywhere, less overhead as it is an integral Program.

You would have to have your UK compuer set up to accept Remote Desktop calls. If I were you I would not have anything on it unprotected by passwords.

How often do you get to touch your UK PC ?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
You could almost certainly use PCAnywhere for that. If you have Windows XP on both machine you could probably use "Remote Desktop" the same way. what would happen to your connection speed is anybody's guess.
Problem with that is, well it'll lag like a beast, and also you might not get any video, tried a VNC network around here with a mate, and video feed wouldn't over lay on the second computer...that and it was way laggy.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

In theory, yes you can, and on some radio broadcasts, i have had it working in the past, but never got the video to work, mostly because of bandwidth, would always time out.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
In theory, yes you can, and on some radio broadcasts, i have had it working in the past, but never got the video to work, mostly because of bandwidth, would always time out.
Well my Brother does not have Broadband.

If anyone sees a solution perhaps they could bear it in mind and post on this board.

Got to be more and more demand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.