British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BBC America Boss !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bbc-america-boss-465181/)

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 12:06 pm

Re: BBC America Boss !!

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5038622)
Read a book.;)

Prefer books to the stuff TV Execs think are quality TV programs. America's obsession with reality (although fake) TV shows is unhealthy.

username 34 Jul 11th 2007 12:31 pm

I'd like to tie him to a chair and beat him until he takes off Footballers Wives, Hollyoaks, Cash in the attic and frigging Changing Rooms

considering he has the pick of more than 3 channels from the UK I cant believe the trash they pick.

At least they show Waking the Dead, Graham Norton, Murphys Law and a couple of other decent things

TimFountain Jul 11th 2007 12:37 pm

Who cares, really? I stopped trying to watch BBCA about 4 years ago, the ratio of programming to advertising makes it unwatchable, not that there really was anything worthwhile watching in the first place. I get all my programs on the torrents now, and watch very little TV. I am currently enjoying series 7 of Grand Designs, IMHO one of the best programs C4 has produced in the last few years. The Tuscany Castle was magic, as was the Ely eco building.

- Tim

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 5040174)
Who cares, really? I stopped trying to watch BBCA about 4 years ago, the ratio of programming to advertising makes it unwatchable, not that there really was anything worthwhile watching in the first place. I get all my programs on the torrents now, and watch very little TV. I am currently enjoying series 7 of Grand Designs, IMHO one of the best programs C4 has produced in the last few years. The Tuscany Castle was magic, as was the Ely eco building.

- Tim

Yes, Torrents can be the way to go for many things. Just watched the whole of Series 4 of Peep Show (absolutely hilarious!) and am starting on Series 2 of Life on Mars.

HoosierDaddy Jul 11th 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5038500)
"...you knobber!!"

Actually, it was "...you mother"

< Puts pedant tin hat on >

Reddman Jul 11th 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5040864)
Yes, Torrents can be the way to go for many things. Just watched the whole of Series 4 of Peep Show (absolutely hilarious!) and am starting on Series 2 of Life on Mars.

Peep Show is a very funny show. I also enjoyed the first series of Life on Mars. What is Torrents?

"Back of the net"

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 5040881)
Actually, it was "...you mother"

< Puts pedant tin hat on >

:rolleyes:

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Reddman (Post 5040959)
Peep Show is a very funny show. I also enjoyed the first series of Life on Mars. What is Torrents?

"Back of the net"

I'll start with disclaimer that I'm not particulary technically-minded and struggle with things like this. Having read about using something called bit torrents - a kind of file sharing - in The Lab I finally tried my hand at downloading some shows with great success.

Have a rummage around in The Lab and you'll find a whole bunch of threads on the subject. Fellow MA resident Bob is also a good source of info on this if you have any questions! (Hope he doesn't mind me name-checking him in this respect!)

Bob Jul 11th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5039824)
While I'd love to ask for re-runs of some great comedies that haven't yet been mentioned - Teachers, Peep Show...

they were showing those shows a while back...didn't stay for long though...

Bob Jul 11th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5041142)

Have a rummage around in The Lab and you'll find a whole bunch of threads on the subject. Fellow MA resident Bob is also a good source of info on this if you have any questions! (Hope he doesn't mind me name-checking him in this respect!)

I don't mind helping out, but would suggest reading through the lab, as i've gone over it a few times, and really don't have all that much spare time during the day, for a few weeks at least :)

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5041174)
I don't mind helping out, but would suggest reading through the lab, as i've gone over it a few times, and really don't have all that much spare time during the day, for a few weeks at least :)

I'm sorry - I know there is a huge amount of info and shared experience on this in The Lab. Also if Reddman wants advice from someone who struggled themselves then I'll be happy to assist. :D

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5041166)
they were showing those shows a while back...didn't stay for long though...

Yes - true. Caused me to order the Peep Show box set on DVD from Amazon, and tried hard to ration it but ended up watching the whole lot in a week!

There was talk of an American version of Peep Show (shudder....)

HoosierDaddy Jul 11th 2007 9:06 pm

BBCA should be showing Peep Show Series 3 in the not too distant future. They've already shown the first two.

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 5042316)
BBCA should be showing Peep Show Series 3 in the not too distant future. They've already shown the first two.

Already got to see it on DVD, but should be mandatory viewing for all BEs! :rofl:

Lord Lionheart Jul 16th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5042350)
Already got to see it on DVD, but should be mandatory viewing for all BEs! :rofl:

I love Peep Show, making my way through series 2 thanks to Torrents. Still trying to get the image of Jeremy remembering what the ' very bad' thing he did was on Series 1 after doing drugs with Super Hans :ohmy:
Also Still Game is a current favorite