British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BBC America Boss !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bbc-america-boss-465181/)

franc11s Jul 10th 2007 8:51 pm

BBC America Boss !!

I'd like to have a beer with this guy.... What would you say to him ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/..._bbc_america_1

LeedsGirl Jul 10th 2007 8:56 pm

Re: BBC America Boss !!

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5037480)

I'd say thank god you got rid of Benny Hill :thumbsup:

rincewind Jul 10th 2007 8:58 pm

Stop showing the crap shows from England and start airing some quality programs.

lapin_windstar Jul 10th 2007 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5037495)
Stop showing the crap shows from England and start airing some quality programs.

Seems encouraging: "So I tried to work with our folks to have the shows they present represent contemporary Britain, not the Britain of 1850."

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2007 9:23 pm

Show up to date programs...especially Corrie and more programs with Robson Green in them. :thumbsup:

Bob Jul 10th 2007 9:26 pm

They do seem to be showing some good stuff lately...could do with less "encore" repeats though.

HoosierDaddy Jul 10th 2007 9:50 pm

I'd ask him to bring back EastEnders and save me giving $10 to Dish Network for the PPV. Actually surprised that he mentioned EE in his piece.

hatfield1 Jul 10th 2007 10:03 pm

Bring back Red Dwarf. Even just reruns! :thumbsup:

Reddman Jul 10th 2007 11:09 pm

Id love to see some of the quality comedies shown again. Red Dwarf, I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, League of Gentlemen etc

Lord Lionheart Jul 11th 2007 2:40 am

Smell my cheese!!!!!

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 2:42 am

Why the hell do people want re-runs?? The BBC needs to show something fresh, unique and challenging. Footballers Wives is not entertainment neither is tuning into the lives of chavs in Eastenders.

But, each to their own I guess. I prefer thought provoking programs, not the shite they air :thumbdown:

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 5038492)
Smell my cheese!!!!!

"...you knobber!!"

hatfield1 Jul 11th 2007 3:39 am

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5038498)
Why the hell do people want re-runs?? The BBC needs to show something fresh, unique and challenging. Footballers Wives is not entertainment neither is tuning into the lives of chavs in Eastenders.

But, each to their own I guess. I prefer thought provoking programs, not the shite they air :thumbdown:

Read a book.;)

britvic Jul 11th 2007 4:04 am

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5038498)

It's not BBC 2 thats for sure :(

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 11:23 am

While I'd love to ask for re-runs of some great comedies that haven't yet been mentioned - Teachers, Peep Show, Nathan Barley to name a few, to be honest I want to see more of what I can't buy on DVD.

I think we're starting to see more of that now anyway, as other people have said. There seems to be more current BBC drama and a little less cash-in-the-#$%*&^@-attic, which is a huge step in the right direction. In fact, during this last week, I reckon 50% of my viewing has been on that one channel.

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5038622)
Read a book.;)

Prefer books to the stuff TV Execs think are quality TV programs. America's obsession with reality (although fake) TV shows is unhealthy.

username 34 Jul 11th 2007 12:31 pm

I'd like to tie him to a chair and beat him until he takes off Footballers Wives, Hollyoaks, Cash in the attic and frigging Changing Rooms

considering he has the pick of more than 3 channels from the UK I cant believe the trash they pick.

At least they show Waking the Dead, Graham Norton, Murphys Law and a couple of other decent things

TimFountain Jul 11th 2007 12:37 pm

Who cares, really? I stopped trying to watch BBCA about 4 years ago, the ratio of programming to advertising makes it unwatchable, not that there really was anything worthwhile watching in the first place. I get all my programs on the torrents now, and watch very little TV. I am currently enjoying series 7 of Grand Designs, IMHO one of the best programs C4 has produced in the last few years. The Tuscany Castle was magic, as was the Ely eco building.

- Tim

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 5040174)
Who cares, really? I stopped trying to watch BBCA about 4 years ago, the ratio of programming to advertising makes it unwatchable, not that there really was anything worthwhile watching in the first place. I get all my programs on the torrents now, and watch very little TV. I am currently enjoying series 7 of Grand Designs, IMHO one of the best programs C4 has produced in the last few years. The Tuscany Castle was magic, as was the Ely eco building.

- Tim

Yes, Torrents can be the way to go for many things. Just watched the whole of Series 4 of Peep Show (absolutely hilarious!) and am starting on Series 2 of Life on Mars.

HoosierDaddy Jul 11th 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 5038500)
"...you knobber!!"

Actually, it was "...you mother"

< Puts pedant tin hat on >

Reddman Jul 11th 2007 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5040864)
Yes, Torrents can be the way to go for many things. Just watched the whole of Series 4 of Peep Show (absolutely hilarious!) and am starting on Series 2 of Life on Mars.

Peep Show is a very funny show. I also enjoyed the first series of Life on Mars. What is Torrents?

"Back of the net"

rincewind Jul 11th 2007 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 5040881)
Actually, it was "...you mother"

< Puts pedant tin hat on >

:rolleyes:

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Reddman (Post 5040959)
Peep Show is a very funny show. I also enjoyed the first series of Life on Mars. What is Torrents?

"Back of the net"

I'll start with disclaimer that I'm not particulary technically-minded and struggle with things like this. Having read about using something called bit torrents - a kind of file sharing - in The Lab I finally tried my hand at downloading some shows with great success.

Have a rummage around in The Lab and you'll find a whole bunch of threads on the subject. Fellow MA resident Bob is also a good source of info on this if you have any questions! (Hope he doesn't mind me name-checking him in this respect!)

Bob Jul 11th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5039824)
While I'd love to ask for re-runs of some great comedies that haven't yet been mentioned - Teachers, Peep Show...

they were showing those shows a while back...didn't stay for long though...

Bob Jul 11th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5041142)

Have a rummage around in The Lab and you'll find a whole bunch of threads on the subject. Fellow MA resident Bob is also a good source of info on this if you have any questions! (Hope he doesn't mind me name-checking him in this respect!)

I don't mind helping out, but would suggest reading through the lab, as i've gone over it a few times, and really don't have all that much spare time during the day, for a few weeks at least :)

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5041174)
I don't mind helping out, but would suggest reading through the lab, as i've gone over it a few times, and really don't have all that much spare time during the day, for a few weeks at least :)

I'm sorry - I know there is a huge amount of info and shared experience on this in The Lab. Also if Reddman wants advice from someone who struggled themselves then I'll be happy to assist. :D

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5041166)
they were showing those shows a while back...didn't stay for long though...

Yes - true. Caused me to order the Peep Show box set on DVD from Amazon, and tried hard to ration it but ended up watching the whole lot in a week!

There was talk of an American version of Peep Show (shudder....)

HoosierDaddy Jul 11th 2007 9:06 pm

BBCA should be showing Peep Show Series 3 in the not too distant future. They've already shown the first two.

tonrob Jul 11th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 5042316)
BBCA should be showing Peep Show Series 3 in the not too distant future. They've already shown the first two.

Already got to see it on DVD, but should be mandatory viewing for all BEs! :rofl:

Lord Lionheart Jul 16th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5042350)
Already got to see it on DVD, but should be mandatory viewing for all BEs! :rofl:

I love Peep Show, making my way through series 2 thanks to Torrents. Still trying to get the image of Jeremy remembering what the ' very bad' thing he did was on Series 1 after doing drugs with Super Hans :ohmy:
Also Still Game is a current favorite

ENGJAP Jul 16th 2007 2:43 pm

You lot probably already know this but Peep Show is on you tube.

On a matter of a different topic, you can download streamed media, using tools like WM Recorder. Note that you are responsible for what you download.

tonrob Jul 16th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 5059454)
I love Peep Show, making my way through series 2 thanks to Torrents. Still trying to get the image of Jeremy remembering what the ' very bad' thing he did was on Series 1 after doing drugs with Super Hans :ohmy:

Stop it! I'm eating my lunch!

If you're on series 2 right now the you're a lucky man - you've still gots lots of hilarious episodes ahead of you! Have you seen all the extras and stuff on the website?