Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barclays Intl vs. HSBC Expat account

Barclays Intl vs. HSBC Expat account

Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Barclays Intl vs. HSBC Expat account

I need to open a Sterling offshore account and wondered if anyone has any comments on the pros or cons of an HSBC Expat account versus a Barclays International account. They seem broadly similar (beyond the obvious minimum deposit requirements etc.) and I have no particular loyalty or current ties to either bank. Also curious roughly how long it takes, realistically, for such an account to be ready for deposits after the application/documents are submitted.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 2:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays Intl vs. HSBC Expat account

I looked at HSBC offshore before getting a legit high street account with HSBC UK. I think the key for me was the fact that HSBC has a retail presence in some parts of the USA which (may) make it easier to work with? I'm not sure if the offshore bank has any legal connection to the retail but if they do you might be able to open a regular account and move to the offshore on one HSBC website or something.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays Intl vs. HSBC Expat account

Why does it need to be offshore, out of interest?

The only snag I see with those accounts (have been considering them) is the hefty balance needed to avoid fees. Think it’s ok if you want to invest with those institutions anyway, otherwise it’s a bit of a bind as they may not be attractive in other respects (rates etc).