Bankruptcy and getting into the USA

Wikiposts

Bankruptcy and getting into the USA

Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Pooch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy and getting into the USA

Hello all

Don't know if this is a stupid question or not really, but anyhow...

Just starting out on the process of trying to get a job and move to the states.

My question is this: i declared bankrupt in august 2004 in the uk. I will be discharged this year in August.

Is there any possibilty this will affect my chances of moving to the states, as i know there are problems for people with criminal records etc (although there was nothing criminal about my bankruptcy i hasten to add!).

any help much appreciated
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankruptcy and getting into the USA

Originally Posted by Pooch
Is there any possibilty this will affect my chances of moving to the states, as i know there are problems for people with criminal records etc (although there was nothing criminal about my bankruptcy i hasten to add!).
Shouldn't be a factor as far as I know.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Shouldn't be a factor as far as I know.
thanks for the swift reply! it just occurred to me before that maybe it could be an issue
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to ask this in the US Visa forum.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You might want to ask this in the US Visa forum.
Usually it is the US Sponsor who has to provide the financial side.

What Visa do you intend to enter on?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

wouldnt' affect any US credit history as you wouldn't have any anyway...
But how do you plan on coming over?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Usually it is the US Sponsor who has to provide the financial side.

What Visa do you intend to enter on?
It doesn't seem like the OP has considered the visas etc. so I thought that the best place to ask this kind of "entrance" question would be the visa forum.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It doesn't seem like the OP has considered the visas etc. so I thought that the best place to ask this kind of "entrance" question would be the visa forum.
hi,
you're absolutely right, i'm only just beginning to even consider the possibility of going to the states.

i had this initial thought in a panic, thinking i may as well ask first, otherwise if it was to be a problem then there'd be no point continuing.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Many thanks for all replies.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:21 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
you're absolutely right, i'm only just beginning to even consider the possibility of going to the states.

i had this initial thought in a panic, thinking i may as well ask first, otherwise if it was to be a problem then there'd be no point continuing.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Many thanks for all replies.

taking bankruptcy out if the equation, its still unlikely that you would qualify for a work visa. if you work for a subsiduary of a US corporation and they will transfer you then thats great, otherwise you are probably shit out of luck

check the visa options first. its very tough to get out here
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If you cannot manage your life in the nanny state ..How will you manage in the US ... ain't nobody to hold your hand here...
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:21 am
Account Closed

OK just looked at your first post, your due to graduate later this year.

Its probably completely academic as you would have no way in, apart from the 90 day visitors visa. And that does not ask about bankruptcy.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:42 am
Just Joined

well at the moment i'm not looking for a total move into the states, i would just like to work there for maybe a year or so, perhaps with a view to moving later on. I'm looking into phd at a usa univeristy, and apply for assistantships to help support yourself, or possibly a year long internship. As i've said earlier i'm just at the start of looking into these areas.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:50 am
Account Closed

well at the moment i'm not looking for a total move into the states, i would just like to work there for maybe a year or so, perhaps with a view to moving later on. I'm looking into phd at a usa univeristy, and apply for assistantships to help support yourself, or possibly a year long internship. As i've said earlier i'm just at the start of looking into these areas.
Well others here will know better than me but US education is v expensive.

I suppose I had in my mind that you will not have the money to show that you can support yourself for the period of your study having gone through bankruptcy.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:10 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's possible. But you should choose your subject very carefully. If it's not something like chemistry, physics, or certain engineering degrees, you're going to be paying through the nose. Some of the sciences will pay you enough to live on, if you are careful about where in the country you wish to live.

Working while on a student visa is not easy. You cannot legally work off-campus without proving financial hardship, and you won't get the visa if you are unable to prove that you will have the funds to support yourself. On-campus work is very limited in both hours and hourly rates.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Working while on a student visa is not easy. You cannot legally work off-campus without proving financial hardship, and you won't get the visa if you are unable to prove that you will have the funds to support yourself. On-campus work is very limited in both hours and hourly rates.
20 hours a week, but I don't think your allowed to work in the first semester, or it could be the first year....so to even get the student visa would have to show funds to cover cost of the course, cost of living and materials...so probably a no goer with bankruptcy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.