British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bankruptcy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bankruptcy-418842/)

conisby Jan 14th 2007 7:51 am

Bankruptcy

This is a genuine, friend of mine situation, honest.

Would being bankrupt in the UK, have any bearing on somebodys attempt to establish credit in the US?

Thanks.

Poppy girl Jan 14th 2007 2:03 pm

Re: Bankruptcy

Originally Posted by conisby (Post 4282051)

Would being bankrupt in the UK, have any bearing on somebodys attempt to establish credit in the US?

Thanks.

I have seen this type of question asked before on expats, just wish I could remeber the answer I think it that it does not effect you, I do know that US credit is US credit it is judged on what you establish here and has no reflextion on your UK credit, which for some can work well, others not as if yu have a high rating in the UK and move to the US you are starting all over again.
You will get a good response on this question, I think be patient :)

Brync Jan 14th 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks.

I am fairly certain that it won't have any bearing at all. I came over here last November and although I had a top line credit rating in the UK and a British issued credit card from an American owned company (MBNA) the American credit reference agencies would not even look at my UK credit rating. This included the Bank of America who own MBNA who issued one of my British credit cards.

On that basis I can't see how a UK bankrupcy can effect an American credit rating (especially if your friend doesnt mention it).

All th best

Brync

NC Penguin Jan 14th 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks.

Depends. Are you refering to personal credit or business credit?

If your debts relate to a lender who has business in the US, e.g. American Express, HSBC, etc., then it's feasible that when running a US credit report, your UK debts with the British side of the business may show up. I may be mistaken but it's possible.

NC Penguin

Bob Jan 14th 2007 8:09 pm

UK credit won't have an affect over here.

Rodney you plonker Jan 15th 2007 3:59 am

Thanks.

No bearing at all unless he declares it on the application form.

USBound Jan 15th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker (Post 4284982)
No bearing at all unless he declares it on the application form.

from experience I can say that personal bankruptcy will have no noticeable affect on US credit history.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 15th 2007 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 4286204)
from experience I can say that personal bankruptcy will have no noticeable affect on US credit history.

Only thing I can think of is a Morgage where you might want to get an International Credit Report.

conisby Jan 15th 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks to you all for the responses, i will let my friend know, im sure he'll be relived.

Thanks again

gardnma Jan 15th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4284016)
UK credit won't have an affect over here.

What about the other way around Robert?

Bob Jan 15th 2007 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4286839)
What about the other way around Robert?

who's robert? :D

and it probably won't have much of an effect...but there isn't any data protection over here, so if people in the UK want to get a bit more snoopy, they probably could....I mean the credit agencies who have offices in the US etc.

gardnma Jan 15th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4287127)
who's robert? :D

and it probably won't have much of an effect...but there isn't any data protection over here, so if people in the UK want to get a bit more snoopy, they probably could....I mean the credit agencies who have offices in the US etc.

Sorry.....Norman.;)

I take it then, if you wanted to apply for credit in the UK, having only good US credit it would be no benefit to you......starting from scratch, as it were.

Uuuuuuh.....:D

Bob Jan 15th 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma (Post 4287734)

I take it then, if you wanted to apply for credit in the UK, having only good US credit it would be no benefit to you......starting from scratch, as it were.

Pretty much...