Bankruptcy

Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:51 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy

This is a genuine, friend of mine situation, honest.

Would being bankrupt in the UK, have any bearing on somebodys attempt to establish credit in the US?

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankruptcy

Originally Posted by conisby

Would being bankrupt in the UK, have any bearing on somebodys attempt to establish credit in the US?

Thanks.
I have seen this type of question asked before on expats, just wish I could remeber the answer I think it that it does not effect you, I do know that US credit is US credit it is judged on what you establish here and has no reflextion on your UK credit, which for some can work well, others not as if yu have a high rating in the UK and move to the US you are starting all over again.
You will get a good response on this question, I think be patient
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Thanks.
I am fairly certain that it won't have any bearing at all. I came over here last November and although I had a top line credit rating in the UK and a British issued credit card from an American owned company (MBNA) the American credit reference agencies would not even look at my UK credit rating. This included the Bank of America who own MBNA who issued one of my British credit cards.

On that basis I can't see how a UK bankrupcy can effect an American credit rating (especially if your friend doesnt mention it).

All th best

Brync
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Depends. Are you refering to personal credit or business credit?

If your debts relate to a lender who has business in the US, e.g. American Express, HSBC, etc., then it's feasible that when running a US credit report, your UK debts with the British side of the business may show up. I may be mistaken but it's possible.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UK credit won't have an affect over here.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:59 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
No bearing at all unless he declares it on the application form.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
No bearing at all unless he declares it on the application form.
from experience I can say that personal bankruptcy will have no noticeable affect on US credit history.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by USBound
from experience I can say that personal bankruptcy will have no noticeable affect on US credit history.
Only thing I can think of is a Morgage where you might want to get an International Credit Report.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all for the responses, i will let my friend know, im sure he'll be relived.

Thanks again

Last edited by conisby; Jan 15th 2007 at 5:43 pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
UK credit won't have an affect over here.
What about the other way around Robert?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
What about the other way around Robert?
who's robert?

and it probably won't have much of an effect...but there isn't any data protection over here, so if people in the UK want to get a bit more snoopy, they probably could....I mean the credit agencies who have offices in the US etc.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
who's robert?

and it probably won't have much of an effect...but there isn't any data protection over here, so if people in the UK want to get a bit more snoopy, they probably could....I mean the credit agencies who have offices in the US etc.
Sorry.....Norman.

I take it then, if you wanted to apply for credit in the UK, having only good US credit it would be no benefit to you......starting from scratch, as it were.

Uuuuuuh.....
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gardnma

I take it then, if you wanted to apply for credit in the UK, having only good US credit it would be no benefit to you......starting from scratch, as it were.
Pretty much...