Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banking differences

Banking differences

Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking differences

Originally Posted by NYCbound
And I thought it would be so simple....

We bank with both HSBC here and in the States, I can't believe just how different the two systems are, and how much harder the American's make it!

Here I would log on to Internet banking, set up a standing order and that's that, payment into their account same day every month until I say so.
Or if a one off payment is needed I would transfer the funds and the recipient would see them in their account within hours due to the faster payments system. No need for anything other than name, account number and sort code, no need for internet banking, can be done over phone or in branch or even on my iphone.

There, go through long winded sign up for 'Bill Pay' which can only be done once we changed the bank address to our USA one.
Find out Landlord's new address by emailing him and realise that for some reason HSBC doesn't recognise him as being able to have electronic payments due to the fact that it wouldn't even entertain the idea of me adding his account and routing number. We do all this on the 10th thinking the same processes would be in place, but give the money 5 days to get into his account, just incase, we'll be good tenants.
WRONG!! Bank issues a check to be sent to Landlord, a check (It'll take me a while to get back into using those old fashioned things) and they don't issue this check until the 13th.
Which ensues snotty email from Landlord asking where is the rent and if it's not in his account by Friday... So I show him the online statement to say it's left and on its way.

Great start to our lease!!
Must remember next month to do all that a little earlier in the month!

16 days until we move!!
One of the things that bugs me is that the bank can dip in and out of your bank account. Unlike the UK where no-one has access to your bank account but you unless you give them your written permission. For instance in the US the bank deposited an amount in error in our bank account...30 mins later it had been taken out again (both these actions where done without any communication to me). In the UK they would not have been able to do that without a court order.

Beware of Direct Debits...even when you have cancelled the DD the company can still keep withdrawing the money from your bank account.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 15th 2009 at 6:56 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You'd think that. I paid my water bill using my banks bill pay system for a couple of months and I always got a note saying it was paid late even though it was scheduled a few days before the due date. Turns out that they printed off a check on the day it was scheduled, mailed it out sometime later via regular USPS from the banks main office and it was getting to the water company late. The banking system here is archaic and still very much paper based regardless of what they say.
my bank told me it was like that. I asked a million questions as i just couldnt believe 'electronic payment' just meant a bank employee wrote and posted a cheq instead of me - but they were adamant this was it! I have to say though - it is better no (has improved over last 2 years we been here) and most of utilities I pay by direct pay (similar to dd in uk - but that simply wasnt availalke when we first arrived)
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
my bank told me it was like that. I asked a million questions as i just couldnt believe 'electronic payment' just meant a bank employee wrote and posted a cheq instead of me - but they were adamant this was it! I have to say though - it is better no (has improved over last 2 years we been here) and most of utilities I pay by direct pay (similar to dd in uk - but that simply wasnt availalke when we first arrived)
Afaik, it depends whether the merchant in question has an account at the bank you are paying from. With B of A, it's pretty easy to deduce which will end up as posted cheques, and which will end up as electronic payments as each payee is annotated with an "earliest delivery" date. Typically these will show the next day's date, except for those that they are sending cheques to. Almost all of my payees fall into the former category.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Nope, for Citibank it is an actual check check.

Last month the landlord decided it wanted to use another corporate name on the check and mailed it back to me to have the bank reissue the check. That's the only way I know what it was.
That is strange since the following article indicates that more and more paper checks are converted to electronic checks and a physical transfer is not made. So it seems strange that a bank would issue a paper check.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre31.shtm
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is strange since the following article indicates that more and more paper checks are converted to electronic checks and a physical transfer is not made. So it seems strange that a bank would issue a paper check.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre31.shtm
It's stupid, isn't it? I get paid through B of A online banking from one client; she schedules the check online and I get it like a week later.
Sucks for me when she doesn't remember to schedule me a week before I need the money.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Banking in the US makes you feel like you've gone back in time to the stone age.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Banking in the US makes you feel like you've gone back in time to the stone age.
I agree. When the selling points of an account are free checks, a debit card, no minimum balance and a crappy rewards program you know it's bad. This was the same bank that when I trialled it out charged me an account switching fee of $25 for switching from one account to the same account. When I questioned it the account manager said, calm as you like, "Oh, it looks like some sort of computer thing, they do that quite a bit. I'll just refund you the $25 and everything will be fine." He seemed genuinely surprised when I said everything was not fine if for no reason they take money from my account. His argument? "But I refunded it so it doesn't matter"

There are good options out there but nothing gives you the full package. My local bank gives me free wire transfers but charges me $25 if I go 1c overdrawn. My ING account gives me interest and a $1000 free overdraft but it won't accept wire transfers.

I was trialling out a bank last year and the sales pitch I got was about how great online banking was and how they were in their 10th year of it, yadda, yadda, yadda. So when I asked how how I signed up for it I was kind of surprised when I found out that I needed to fill in a paper form that included giving them 3 different user names (in case some were taken), a password but NOT an email address. Then, within 10 days, I should receive a letter in the mail telling me when my account was set up and which user name they used. Needless to say after I trialled it out they failed dismally and did not get the job of my primary bank. The final straw was when I wanted to change my PIN but there was no option to do it on the ATM or online and could only be done by calling up. I figured it would be automated but no, it was a person who asked me for my old PIN and what I wanted to change it to. When I said no and it was crazy that she would ask for my PIN she replied (no joke) "Why? It's just a number. I'll tell you mine if you want." 10 minutes later I was in the closest branch closing my account and politely explaining to an account manager and branch manager how I thought their bank was shite and I had no confidence in the security of my account.

These are just some of my banking stories, I have many more illustrating how crap the US system is!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:28 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The final straw was when I wanted to change my PIN but there was no option to do it on the ATM or online and could only be done by calling up. I figured it would be automated but no, it was a person who asked me for my old PIN and what I wanted to change it to. When I said no and it was crazy that she would ask for my PIN she replied (no joke) "Why? It's just a number. I'll tell you mine if you want." 10 minutes later I was in the closest branch closing my account and politely explaining to an account manager and branch manager how I thought their bank was shite and I had no confidence in the security of my account.

These are just some of my banking stories, I have many more illustrating how crap the US system is!
To play devil's advocate for a moment, while the PIN story seems crazy to us, that may be a cultural thing. The reason we get so het up about it is because, for years, banks in the UK have been seizing on the fact that a PIN was used to deny claims of fraudulent withdrawals and cover up theft by bank employees. It's been a while since I looked at the US arrangements for such matters, though.

One aspect that jars with me is paying utility bills with a debit or credit card. I can do it for my water bill, just like I did in England. I can do it for my gas bill, through a third party processor, at a cost of $1. If I want to do it for my electricity bill, it's through a different third party processor and it costs $4.

That just makes no sense at all...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

One other crap thing here is - they do not seem to want to introduce the "chip and pin" system - seems the mentality is that it would be too costly to implement, so they'd rather just reimburse fraud victims. Which is fine for now, but not very forward thinking.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:25 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
One other crap thing here is - they do not seem to want to introduce the "chip and pin" system - seems the mentality is that it would be too costly to implement, so they'd rather just reimburse fraud victims. Which is fine for now, but not very forward thinking.
I might have to disagree with you here. From a consumer protection PoV, I see that as a good thing.

C&P, as implemented in the UK, is not a fraud reduction technology. It is, however, a very effective risk transfer technology, shifting the financial burden of card fraud from the banks to the merchants and the customers.

But, again, there is a risk of comparing apples with oranges. In US law, somebody whose card is cloned has legal status as a victim (Kyl-Feinstein, iirc). That is not the case in English law, where the bank is the legal victim (and, incidentally, fraud claims are now filtered through the banks before reaching the police, with all of the moral hazard that implies).

Of course, it all depends what one is trying to achieve.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing much wrong with US banking

Just remember its still 1954
Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

I was stunned at the banking here. Going from a Current/checking account with Cahoot where i got 3% interest and 6% on my savings account. Imagine my surprise when i saw the interest on my savings account here was 0.01%...................it was closed very quickly
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulycarts
I was stunned at the banking here. Going from a Current/checking account with Cahoot where i got 3% interest and 6% on my savings account. Imagine my surprise when i saw the interest on my savings account here was 0.01%...................it was closed very quickly
Cahoots in about 0.50% now...as well
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Cahoots in about 0.50% now...as well
WOW what a difference