Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banking advice

Banking advice

Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Seahorse1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking advice

I would like to talk to US residents who still have funds in the UK. My funds were with Lloyds but no longer offer ex pat accounts...I have spoken with HBSC and Barclays, but learned they only insure funds up to a certain amount
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking advice

I use Barclays, but then I have moved most of my funds to the US, so there isn't much there. What amount of funds are you talking about that they exceed the insurance maximums? If I had that amount, I'd probably be moving most of it to the US, and either way I'd be looking to invest it, not keeping it in bank savings accounts, with their paltry interest rates.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse1234
I would like to talk to US residents who still have funds in the UK. My funds were with Lloyds but no longer offer ex pat accounts...I have spoken with HBSC and Barclays, but learned they only insure funds up to a certain amount
What exactly do you want to talk about? The Financial Services Compensation Scheme covers £85,000 per person.

https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cove...ing-societies/
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Owen778
I use Barclays, but then I have moved most of my funds to the US, so there isn't much there. What amount of funds are you talking about that they exceed the insurance maximums? If I had that amount, I'd probably be moving most of it to the US, and either way I'd be looking to invest it, not keeping it in bank savings accounts, with their paltry interest rates.
I have 250,000 pounds in a holding account with Lloyds who no longer offer ex pat accounts. I plan on transferring to HBSC who offers 1.60 percent, but worry that it isn't insured. The exchange rate is terrible and I don't know what the tax implications are of bringing over $10k into the US are
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have 250,000 pounds in a holding account with Lloyds who no longer offer ex pat accounts. I plan on transferring to HBSC who offers 1.60 percent, but worry that it isn't insured. The exchange rate is terrible and I don't know what the tax implications are of bringing over $10k into the US are
It would not have been fully insured in Lloyds Bank either.

There are no tax implications in transferring funds to the USA. You will need to be able to demonstrate the source of the funds.

Presumably you are resident in the USA. Are you aware of the need for FBAR and Form 8938 reporting?
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

I was under the impression that you could only bring $10k into the US without being taxed. Yes I submit FBAR reports

Last edited by Seahorse1234; Sep 20th 2018 at 3:21 pm. Reason: Missed info
Old Sep 20th 2018, 4:53 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that you could only bring $10k into the US without being taxed.
Nope. You can bring as much as you like.

The $10k figure is when reporting of the transaction is triggered, but that's done by the system and nothing that you need to do or worry about.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies. I feel its in my best interest to wait for a better exchange rate to bring funds over
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an expat account to maintain funds in the UK.

You can continue your ordinary bank account if you like.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

..I have spoken with HBSC and Barclays, but learned they only insure funds up to a certain amount
You money is safe with any of the too big to fail banks. Worst case they will nationalised. The threat to you money is inflation.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone put 250,000 in a bank rather than into an investment account or at the very least 1/2 in investment and 1/2 in a money market account.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would anyone put 250,000 in a bank rather than into an investment account or at the very least 1/2 in investment and 1/2 in a money market account.
US expats resident in the UK with no access to US investing.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Because my parents were terminally ill for many years and this is the money I inherited and was making a decent interest until about a year ago
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

I asked for advice , not insults
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I asked for advice , not insults
No one in this thread has insulted you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.