Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank stopped taking federal witholding from Savings account interest

Bank stopped taking federal witholding from Savings account interest

Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank stopped taking federal witholding from Savings account interest

Dear all,

As I try and keep all my ducks lined up re: tax etc., I remember the bank asking me to fill a form (I am trying to find it as I type)..maybe a W8-BEN. I did not seem right but the bank told me it was the best form. Now, the (literally 8 cents) federal withholding has stopped.

I know I have an obligation to pay this tax, I am a resident for tax purposes and have my green card application pending. Should I call the bank and get them to take the tax again? Or can I just pay it when I file federal taxes for this year in 2017?

Thank you,

H
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank stopped taking federal witholding from Savings account interest

I'll be anxious to read the replies. I have had many savings accounts over the last 68 years and never once had to complete a form and have federal taxes withheld from a bank savings account.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank stopped taking federal witholding from Savings account interest

Originally Posted by Rete
I'll be anxious to read the replies. I have had many savings accounts over the last 68 years and never once had to complete a form and have federal taxes withheld from a bank savings account.
Here is my understanding...

1) The bank were unsure of whether I was a non-resident or not, and took backup withholding..

2) Earlier in the year I told them that I do indeed pay tax like a US resident..

3) They stop backup withholding, leaving me to report the interest on form 1099-INT and pay the respective taxes when I file for this year (in 2017)?

That is what I believe has happened. They stopped taking backup withholding. I will call to check, but, at the end of the year will pay the few dollars (edit: tax) as required.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What I've always done is report the yearly interest on my 1040 on the appropriate line and add the interest to my income and then calculated my taxes.

Now I'm only a middle class citizen who was a single mom and a small savings account so my interest was never all that much nor the money in the account more than 4 figures at any one time.

So please do not take what I did and will continue to do as something you can or should do. For all I know, you may come have to the US with a 6 figure savings account which puts you in a different scenario than myself.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:41 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Here is my understanding...

1) The bank were unsure of whether I was a non-resident or not, and took backup withholding..

2) Earlier in the year I told them that I do indeed pay tax like a US resident..

3) They stop backup withholding, leaving me to report the interest on form 1099-INT and pay the respective taxes when I file for this year (in 2017)?

That is what I believe has happened. They stopped taking backup withholding. I will call to check, but, at the end of the year will pay the few dollars (edit: tax) as required.
What they are doing is correct. As you say, in January you will receive a 1099 indicating how much was earned on your account(s) during the prior year and you will show that as income when you calculate your 2016 tax obligation.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
What I've always done is report the yearly interest on my 1040 on the appropriate line and add the interest to my income and then calculated my taxes.

Now I'm only a middle class citizen who was a single mom and a small savings account so my interest was never all that much nor the money in the account more than 4 figures at any one time.

So please do not take what I did and will continue to do as something you can or should do. For all I know, you may have to the US with a 6 figure savings account.
Hi,

No no the account is not large, around the same as yours. I did have a meeting at the bank earlier in the year and they said the forms are standard if the bank is unsure of my tax obligations. I always punch in the 1099-INT numbers as requested and assume no additional tax was levied in the past since I had already paid the backup withholding..

Now, since I am no longer paying that backup withholding (28%), when I punch in the 1099-INT numbers next year the IRS will see that I owe tax and will take the (approx.. $2) appropriate amount from me.

This is how I understand the situation from the IRS website.. I get so lost in all this, I am a scientist, maths on the other hand confuses me to no end.

H
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:55 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

No no the account is not large, around the same as yours. I did have a meeting at the bank earlier in the year and they said the forms are standard if the bank is unsure of my tax obligations. I always punch in the 1099-INT numbers as requested and assume no additional tax was levied in the past since I had already paid the backup withholding..

Now, since I am no longer paying that backup withholding (28%), when I punch in the 1099-INT numbers next year the IRS will see that I owe tax and will take the (approx.. $2) appropriate amount from me.

This is how I understand the situation from the IRS website.. I get so lost in all this, I am a scientist, maths on the other hand confuses me to no end.

H
What do you mean by "punch in the 1099 numbers"? You will enter the amount shown on the 1099 sent to you by your bank in the new year on the appropriate line when you file your 2016 tax return, if that is what you mean. Then you will pay any taxes owing on your entire income for the year.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What do you mean by "punch in the 1099 numbers"? You will enter the amount shown on the 1099 sent to you by your bank in the new year on the appropriate line when you file your 2016 tax return, if that is what you mean. Then you will pay any taxes owing on your entire income for the year.
Sorry, it was not meant to come across as flippant. My point was (along with my other US tax forms), my US income is relatively simple, being a case of entering the numbers as they appear exactly on each form. I am quite naïve when it comes to tax matters. This forum has proved very useful to me, I meant no disrespect.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:05 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Sorry, it was not meant to come across as flippant. My point was (along with my other US tax forms), my US income is relatively simple, being a case of entering the numbers as they appear exactly on each form. I am quite naïve when it comes to tax matters. This forum has proved very useful to me, I meant no disrespect.
Oh no, I certainly didn't think you did-- I was just concerned that you misunderstood the procedure for utilizing the 1099 while preparing your tax return and wanted to be sure you were clear on what to do!
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh no, I certainly didn't think you did-- I was just concerned that you misunderstood the procedure for utilizing the 1099 while preparing your tax return and wanted to be sure you were clear on what to do!
That is a relief!

I think I am all set, I can't believe it took over 5 years for myself and the bank to sit down and fill out the correct form. Hiring a CPA was also a great move on our part.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds all fine. I remember filling in a similar form when we first opened our bank account and didn't yet have a SSN; the bank statement would show interest as X, then federal tax withholding as Y. Once we gave them the SSNs, they stopped making the withholding and just send over the 1099s for me to type the numbers into Turbotax where prompted.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What they are doing is correct. As you say, in January you will receive a 1099 indicating how much was earned on your account(s) during the prior year and you will show that as income when you calculate your 2016 tax obligation.
Under a certain amount you won't get a 1099.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Under a certain amount you won't get a 1099.
Indeed, though I think the limit for an INT is only about $10, as opposed to the $600 for a MISC.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, though I think the limit for an INT is only about $10, as opposed to the $600 for a MISC.
$10 sounds familiar.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:47 am
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point

If the withholding stopped, then you probably filled out a Form W-9 which is the correct form. You mentioned that you are a US resident for tax purposes. A US resident is not subject to backup withholding, which is why the withholding stopped when you filed a Form W-9.

You'll be issued a Form 1099-INT after the end of the year which will show the interest income you've earned. If the interest amount is less than $10, then a 1099-INT will likely not be issued to you. In that case, you'll have to go through your bank accounts to add up the total interest.

You should be fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.