Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank rejected passport fee

Bank rejected passport fee

Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

britwooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank rejected passport fee

I sent off my passport for renewal and my bank rejected the transaction for the fee. I've cleared the issue with the bank, is there any way I can contact the passport agency to get them to try again or do I have to wait for them to return my application?

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:58 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank rejected passport fee

You have to wait, but they won't return your application.

Assuming you provided some contact details (best would have been an email address) they will get in touch to tell you the transaction was rejected and listing your options for sorting it out. They return everything to you (minus the fee) if they don't hear back from you in 30 days.

Been there, done that - though this was with Washington, prior to the recent switch to the UK. I see no reason for the process logic to have changed with that switch - though some might say that's a good reason they will have changed it!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Wait to be contacted. They may try it again without contacting you first. Check your email and your spam filter. Be interested to see what procedures they are putting in place to deal with this issue.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I included both my email and phone number, so will wait for them to contact me. I'll keep this thread updated with details of what happens.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

I received a phone call from the embassy this afternoon telling me the transaction was rejected, explained why the bank probably rejected it and gave me a number to call to let them know to try again.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

From the Embassy in Washington or the Passport Office in Durham?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
From the Embassy in Washington or the Passport Office in Durham?
Embassy in Washington, I sent my application just before it changed to sending directly to Durham
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:01 pm

Ah, I see. It would have been interesting if it had been Durham calling you.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:43 am
Just Joined

maxibob is an unknown quantity at this point

I am trying to research renewing my passport and cannot get hold of anyone at the British Embassy. When I go to website it says I now need to send to the UK for renewal, but it only gives me pricing in British Pounds - am I required to pay in pounds? Will it take longer from the UK than renewals in the US. How inconvenient!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxibob
I am trying to research renewing my passport and cannot get hold of anyone at the British Embassy. When I go to website it says I now need to send to the UK for renewal, but it only gives me pricing in British Pounds - am I required to pay in pounds? Will it take longer from the UK than renewals in the US. How inconvenient!
The new rule regarding having to send passports to England to be renewed is a pain in the butt. Mine comes up for renewal in December, but I think I will send it off soon as I don't want it to get lost in the deluge of Christmas mail. I printed off the forms from the website. You can pay with a US debit or credit card (that's what I plan to do). It really is a nuisance though - was much simpler when we could send them to Washington DC.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:44 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same happen to me a few months ago. My bank rejected first transaction as suspicious. I cleared that with my bank and a few days later he fee went through fine.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:19 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxibob
This might help http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807972
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:14 am

Your card will be charged in pounds so if you have a US card then you'll be charged at whatever exchange rate your bank sets.