Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank problem, help needed, BOA

Bank problem, help needed, BOA

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

ukman2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank problem, help needed, BOA

Problems with bank of america, I had a bank of america account but it got closed without my knowledge, I find their customer service guys very unhelpful.

What happened. I was in florida buying a property and had use all my cards to the max while out there, I wasn't to worried as i knew i had funs in the uk and transfering which I have done in the pass. So while out in florida I needed some extra cash and knowing that I had money in my BOA account i used it.

Being back in the uk, I knew that my BOA account needed money in it to cover the bank monthly charges, but I had forgotten to do so, so i got a bank of america statement online and realise I was in the red, so I went to my local bank here in the uk RBS and made a large transfer, being that i have all sorts of account with RBS.

So being that I've done many transfers with them and all being successful, i never thought this time it would not be. So little and behold i took a short cheap break with my family to europe, when i came back checked my BOA account online and it was saying in the red, so this puzzled me. Contact my local bank who told me that the transfer was good.

So being that my account in red with BOA, i called them to let them know that i did a money transfer like two weeks ago, spoken to my local bank told me successful, what Im to do. I was told that I needed to pay and get my account in debit by the end of today, Im like what, trying to argue, with BOA customer service about what you have done in the uk and the agent more or less called me a liar, because of time difference with my uk bank and us bank could not do much on the uk side of things, so left it for the next day.

Early morning called RBS, told me same thing transfer was successful and confirm all details that was correct. Call BOA later that day, and they had an outage issue not being able to access account properly and they also had an issue like that 2 weeks prior, so they could not help me any further. The next day tryed logging into my BOA account and it was tell me that I could account does not exist, so then again call BOA and they were not prepared to help me, all i was told that my account was passed on to the creditors and they are dealing with it.

The creditor have my account but no one can guarantee me where my money transfer have gone and yes it is not allot but the principal of it and RBS wont refund as they are confirming all details are correct as before and this one was successful, so i believe in BOA outage my money have been transfered into another account. So my account is closed all for just $65 outstanding, which I have transfered more than 8 times that amount.

So now the creditors wont me to pay them, but I want them to guarantee that my account would be opened again, that way I can check through my account and try to investigate.

What advice can anyone give me, thanks

Also i even sent my brother to the bank to pay the amount that was outstanding and they would not deal with him, had to be me and there is no way im gonna take a flight out just to sort out $65 dollars, its hurting me now in fees as ive got to pay for my mortgage by other means and them fees from the uk are so high.

Last edited by ukman2007; Nov 3rd 2009 at 12:14 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank problem, help needed, BOA

Don't use customer care. Basically, you are going to have to talk to the BoA branch directly who holds your account. Talk to the bank manager directly to see if you can resolve the issue and see if the charges etc can be reversed.
Above bank managers are district and regional managers... everybody has someone to answer to and noone wants blotches on their work records. You'll probably find that $65 isn't worth it to them to potentially lose $$ of banking business and ledger entry... especially if you have a strong history with them.

One step further - It won't help solve your problem but with your discussions with BoA mention that you'll be addressing your complaint and problem to the following -
Comptroller of the Currency
Administrator of National Banks
Washington, D.C. 20219

Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve
Federal Reserve Building
Washington, D.C. 20551

The Senate
Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs
534 Dirksen Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

it should grab the attention of your BoA manager and indicate that you are serious and mean business per se.

Your wire is in a hold pattern per se with your branch's main sweep account and is awaiting to be deposited into your account... since you don't have one with them, its sitting in there in limbo.. they can't just send it back w/o your authorization etc. It has tracking numbers so its safe. To be more of a pain for them... ask for the interest for the time that your money has been sitting in limbo!! I am surprised that your brother wasn't able to deposit money into your account... but it may be the case that they need your actual deposit slip rather than a counter slip.
all just an imo!!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice
Default Re: Bank problem, help needed, BOA

BoA are the worst of the worst.
My dad worked for them for over 40 years in their London Head Office and I had some naive affinity with them which is why when I came to the US I put all my accounts, personal and business with them.

In fact I had over $500K in cash spread over many accounts. THEN one day I got a letter from them saying I was TOO HIGH RISK and that they were closing ALL my accounts, within 14 days.

This was a total nightmare, I thought they were joking. All my accounts, payroll, business, CDs etc were closed and they just sent me a check in the mail via regular post. I protested in the local branch and it turns out that because my cash balance was so high, I was deemed to be high risk due to he patriot act and that in fact my money wasn't with the regular part of BoA but instead had been transferred to some other division and they were not happy with my profile fearing I was a terrorist. Honest to God this is the truth. The fact is I worked hard for 10 years to save up enough money to buy my ice cream shop in a sleepy beach town and they thought I was a terrorist and wanted nothing to do with me. All avenues of communication were closed down and I went to Union Bank and they opened me with welcome arms and greet me by my name when I walk into the bank - it's really old school and oldy worldly and I love them.

Seriously change banks.