Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank Account - So many to chose from?

Bank Account - So many to chose from?

Old May 16th 2007, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account - So many to chose from?

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
For your needs, you're probably better off with a Piggy Bank here mate. The banking is a little different here to say the least; think banking in the UK 15 years ago. The holds on cheques are what gets me the most - ridiculous! I mean why do you need to hold my paycheque for seven days? Why?

I'm with BOA if it helps.
Steady on...15 yrs...I think you're being a little optimistic there.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:33 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Steady on...15 yrs...I think you're being a little optimistic there.
Yeh I'm guessing here a little bit............but I'm only 27!
Old May 16th 2007, 1:54 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
They are ALL muppets

Seriously, they really are

I'd go with a broker like Morgan Stanley or J.P. Morgan if you have "some" money to invest. that way, you'll always get through to someone if you have a problem.

Bank of America is OK now because we rarely go into any of their branches. The last time I was in there I was doing a wire with one of the agents. The manager walked in and rudely asked the agent how long she was going to be, completely ignoring me. I told the Manager EXACTLY what I thought of her rudeness. Of course she applogised but if a "manager" with this attitude can rise through the ranks of banking, I rest my case "Muppets".

If the wire wasn't being done with MANUAL PAPER in triplicate and verification PHONE calls I wouldn't have been in there so friggen long !!
I work in a bank and the general attitude to wires etc is "fvck that it doesn't help us reach our sales goals." Nobody wants to spend time on things like service because the bottom line is what you live and die by. Bank jobs here are similar to car salesman jobs. You wouldn't expect your dealer to spend a few hours installing your kids car seat would you ? Because of the corporate greed here the employees don't have time to waste on service issues so the manager was probably freaking out because she had another customer waiting who had potential growth for her branch.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
My bank doesn't do that. Harris.
neither does mine- but I have direct deposit.

if I do get a big check for a few grand they do put a hold on it, but I ask for it to be taken off and everything is ok...
Old May 16th 2007, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
neither does mine- but I have direct deposit.

if I do get a big check for a few grand they do put a hold on it, but I ask for it to be taken off and everything is ok...
I don't even have direct deposit. Generally, things are available in a day, certainly if it's a big company check or something. I have had the account a long time though.

I wonder if the policy might vary not only by bank, but by how long you've had an accout or credit rating or other things.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:39 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I work in a bank and the general attitude to wires etc is "fvck that it doesn't help us reach our sales goals." Nobody wants to spend time on things like service because the bottom line is what you live and die by. Bank jobs here are similar to car salesman jobs. You wouldn't expect your dealer to spend a few hours installing your kids car seat would you ? Because of the corporate greed here the employees don't have time to waste on service issues so the manager was probably freaking out because she had another customer waiting who had potential growth for her branch.

Yup that sums it up then.

I would say though, I didn't mind so much being interupted but an "excuse me, I'm really sorry to bother you, would you mind...." but no, it was barge in, ignore me as if I wasn't even in the room. I don't care if you earn $5 an hour that's just plain obnoxious.

To your point about having another customer with potential growth. To give you an idea, I shut down my companies account with them and had 3 senior managers from the branch calling me to try and get me to change my mind. It was not an insignificant amount we had on balance there.

Short-sighted - YES. Rude - YES. Any excuses for them - NONE.

Muppets...
Old May 17th 2007, 11:17 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Yup that sums it up then.

I would say though, I didn't mind so much being interupted but an "excuse me, I'm really sorry to bother you, would you mind...." but no, it was barge in, ignore me as if I wasn't even in the room. I don't care if you earn $5 an hour that's just plain obnoxious.

To your point about having another customer with potential growth. To give you an idea, I shut down my companies account with them and had 3 senior managers from the branch calling me to try and get me to change my mind. It was not an insignificant amount we had on balance there.

Short-sighted - YES. Rude - YES. Any excuses for them - NONE.

Muppets...
I'm not saying it is right but I am just saying how it is.
Old May 19th 2007, 10:50 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

checking or savings account won't build up your credit file.

Choice of bank depends if you want a high street bank or online.. online I'd go for ING Direct for both checking and savings.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

If theres a HSBC in your area, where you can get money out, I'd recommend them. You might not be bothered about super-duper interest rates, but you might as well get one if it costs nowt, and there are plenty of cash machines about! Their online saver comes with an ATM card, and you'll get 5.05% on your money.

If there is not a branch in the area, ATM charges will rule any interest you might make out, however - in that case, I'd be tempted to go with whatever bank is well represented around your area. If you have a choice, I'll also jump in the Wachovia camp, never had any probs with them.
Old May 21st 2007, 12:09 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

No matter what, do not go with Key bank. I had some very horrible experiences with them and would not recommend them to anyone! HSBC seems pretty good though from what i've heard.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Citizens. Our local branch is brilliant and they are much, much better than our bank in the UK.
We bank with RBS in the UK who are the same group as Citizens so that helped when we opened the account.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

ok i went to dort federal credit union.... seems to be ok so far...
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I am with a Federal credit union and love it. They have simplified banking and offer so much more. Some things, like online bill paying are free with my FCU whereas I was charges with Wachovia. On the whole FCU's loan rates and mortgage rates are very competitive. The downside, at least where I live, is that trying to get into a branch on a Saturday is almost impossible. With the heavy military, NASA and other government here it seems everyone has an account there.