Reload this Page >

Bank account question

Bank account question

Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

watchcamFloridabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account question

Hi all,
I read the banking topic section before asking.
Does anyone know if you have to have a US address before opening an account?
I need to open a business account foremost to set up over there before moving.
Anyone any tips?
Thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account question

Legally "no", but a bank might expect a US address by internal policy.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a personal account at Wells Fargo while living in the UK, using our UK address. They posted our bank cards and check books to the UK address. Not sure if the rules for business and personal accounts are different in that respect.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
We opened a personal account at Wells Fargo while living in the UK, using our UK address. ......
Wells Fargo would be a good choice then, they have branches everywhere in Florida, and a reputation for good service. If you get problems with the clerk you first speak to ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to back up Wells Fargo, my husband and I both have personal checking, personal savings, debit cards and credit cards from Wells Fargo. Also my husband does his business banking with Wells Fargo, using two business checking accounts, a business debit card, business credit card, and business line of credit. Wells Fargo has been excellent in their service for all the above.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks for the feedback everyone. Will give it a try. Much apreciated!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to back up Wells Fargo, my husband and I both have personal checking, personal savings, debit cards and credit cards from Wells Fargo. Also my husband does his business banking with Wells Fargo, using two business checking accounts, a business debit card, business credit card, and business line of credit. Wells Fargo has been excellent in their service for all the above.

Rene
Did you set that up from the UK without a US address?
Cheers!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watchcamFloridabound
Did you set that up from the UK without a US address?
Cheers!
No, sorry. I'm the USC and I had existing personal accounts at Wells Fargo already. We set up my husband's accounts after he arrived in the USA on a K-1 fiancé visa. Than about 2 years later when his business got more stable, we opened the business accounts.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, sorry. I'm the USC and I had existing personal accounts at Wells Fargo already. We set up my husband's accounts after he arrived in the USA on a K-1 fiancé visa. Than about 2 years later when his business got more stable, we opened the business accounts.

Rene
Thank you - will be giving Wells Fargo a call today/tomorrow and will update in case useful for anyone else. Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We opened one up with Chase and at the time had no US address (we used our UK one). We did it whilst doing a look-see (so we were in the Us at the time). Was very easy although a slow process as the guy couldn't figure out how to input our address.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
We opened one up with Chase and at the time had no US address (we used our UK one). We did it whilst doing a look-see (so we were in the Us at the time). Was very easy although a slow process as the guy couldn't figure out how to input our address.
Thanks, will look them up too. Please keep the tips and leads coming everyone
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

dan54321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - just wondering how you got on?
Did you manage to find a bank that let you open an account without a US address?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Londonswan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I managed to do it with Bank of America, but I had to give a US address for a day, then say I moved to UK, then updated when we finally arrived.

One way round it is to rent a mailbox and use that address. Might set you back $20 or so but that will get round the issue (just make sure it's not a PO box or one that isn't a street address), comes in handy for loads of other stuff too. They can forward your cards etc to UK.