Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank account nonesense

Wikiposts

Bank account nonesense

Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bank account nonesense

Where are you living? How about a lease or house purchase documents?

In any event, I think you might have to wait for your SSN - certainly in Massachusetts you need an SSN or a letter denying you an SSN. I'd be prepared to bet that's pretty much the rule everywhere...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Where are you living? Have you managed to get a rental ? If so, they should accept the lease agreement as proof of address....?
I rented the car using my now defunct UK address.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you get your green card in the mail yet?
In two days?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So why do you feel it's that urgent?
I want to take the test while I have my rental car, otherwise it means getting me insured on someone else's car, hassle + expense etc. Plus I want to buy a car before the rental goes back, to stay mobile.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Nov 20th 2008 at 10:03 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so after much ringing around, 5/3 said they would open an account for me.

I went down and they were very good, they just accepted my passport and birth certificate as ID, and accepted some redirected royal mail with my US address on the sticker on the envelope as my address, even though the mail inside the envelope was addressed to me in the UK.

She even printed out a copy of the account agreement with the bank account details and address on for me, in the hope that I could use that as proof of address at the BMV. If not, she says in a couple of days the account will be fully set up and she can order a proper paper statement for me.

All in all she couldn't have been more helpful - the credit union who couldn't do anything for us have lost my business. We will be writing a cheque out to transfer the money to the 5/3 account.

Thanks for the input all.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:23 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. Banks and DMVs are always a bunch of ****ing ***** to deal with at the best of times.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
In two days?
When I wrote that, I hadn't realized you just arrived this week.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:59 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so after much ringing around, 5/3 said they would open an account for me.

I went down and they were very good, they just accepted my passport and birth certificate as ID, and accepted some redirected royal mail with my US address on the sticker on the envelope as my address, even though the mail inside the envelope was addressed to me in the UK.

She even printed out a copy of the account agreement with the bank account details and address on for me, in the hope that I could use that as proof of address at the BMV. If not, she says in a couple of days the account will be fully set up and she can order a proper paper statement for me.

All in all she couldn't have been more helpful - the credit union who couldn't do anything for us have lost my business. We will be writing a cheque out to transfer the money to the 5/3 account.

Thanks for the input all.
5/3 have been brilliant with us - not pushy at all, have arranged for us to see their in house financial advisor when we get back there once the visa is sorted to go through what we need to do and help us build our credit rating - We even call them from the UK and they write checks for us for my MIL to pick up to pay child support etc .... nothing is ever too much trouble.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:05 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I rented the car using my now defunct UK address.

I meant the rental house/apartment to show the lease as proof of address, but all irrelevant now as you've got sorted out. Well done! On the way to 'normal' life once the myriad minor hassles get sorted....

By the way - who are 5/3 - I've never heard of them ?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:11 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We opened our bank account with Chase after being 'introduced' by an existing member (a colleague of my husbands). Chase seemed happy with that. He also had a temporary SSN that had been issued by his work so that he could get paid. Then we gave them the 'real' SSN when it came through.

Here in Texas you can sign a waiver saying that you don't have your SSN yet and they will allow you to take the test.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I meant the rental house/apartment to show the lease as proof of address, but all irrelevant now as you've got sorted out. Well done! On the way to 'normal' life once the myriad minor hassles get sorted....

Fifth Third Bank apparently, a new one on me too.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:32 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

fifth third bank
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with this game is you eventually run out of banks!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I meant the rental house/apartment to show the lease as proof of address
Staying with relatives....no rent/mortgage statement, or utility bills.....
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:10 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
Fifth Third Bank apparently, a new one on me too.
Based in Cincinnati or close, I believe. They're on every corner here.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bancorp is a diversified financial services company with $111 billion in assets, operates 18 affiliates with 1,232 full-service Banking Centers, including 106 Bank Mart locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,213 ATMs in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina and Missouri. Fifth Third is among the largest money managers in the Midwest and, as of December 31, 2007, has $223 billion in assets under care, of which it managed $33 billion for individuals, corporations and not-for-profit organizations.
One thing to remember is that there is not (yet) nationwide retail banking in the US (not even Bank of America has branches in every state).
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

quickest proof of address...send yourself a letter, use that as proof at the local library, local library card will prove residence in the town...sorted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.