Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The ball and chain is nearly off!

Wikiposts

The ball and chain is nearly off!

Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:15 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
Also the costs of building a cell phone network are a function of the area to be covered, and therefore it has obviously been massively more expensive to build the networks in the US than it was in the oh-so-compact UK.
Very true. In fact it may be a fairer comparison to compare interstate calling with a cellphone in the US to calling between countries in Europe?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Virgin Mobile in the UK and in the USA.

The cost for calls with the US one in nearly twice as much, as you pay for incoming as well as outgoing calls.

Can see the logic of going completely mobile, depnds on your call pattern.

Also the coverage is a bit limited, but then it is a big country.

The other weird thing is that they make it difficult to make International calls, you would have thought that they would wish to encourage it.

For some reason it is much cheaper to ring US than to ring UK, I have my parents set up so that they can ring me on my bill.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler .... For some reason it is much cheaper to ring US than to ring UK, I have my parents set up so that they can ring me on my bill.
Really? .... It costs us less than 4¢ a minute to phone the UK using our Big Zoo account. .... And if we lived in a local calling area for a Big Zoo "node" it would be less than 3¢ a minute.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? .... It costs us less than 4? a minute to phone the UK using our Big Zoo account. .... And if we lived in a local calling area for a Big Zoo "node" it would be less than 3? a minute.
Well 1p to ring US, and that includes VAT

So 1.8 cents including tax?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 13th 2004 at 3:05 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Really? .... It costs us less than 4? a minute to phone the UK using our Big Zoo account. .... And if we lived in a local calling area for a Big Zoo "node" it would be less than 3? a minute.

My sister in the UK uses one of those numbers you dial before the actual phone number, and she can then call the US (land or cell phone) and even Mexico, for 1p a minute. Now why can't we have that.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The ball and chain is nearly off!

Originally posted by whatever
Finally, after weeks of house-selling torture with two different buyers and a chain as long as Patrick Moore's eyesight, we have just received a call from our solicitors to say we have exchanged!!!!!!! The relief is unbelievable. I was suprised to feel a twang of sadness that our house was not really ours anymore. Anyway, within a nano-second I was over that and glad that we are one HUGE step closer to getting on with the next chapter of our lives in the US of A! It's all becoming very real as we start to follow the path that so many of you Brits on here have already taken. Hairy Scarey at times but bloody exciting all the same.
Enough of my rambling - (no need to reply to this), just wanted to share
Tell me about it - we're heading off to NC on may 2nd, our buyers haven't even exchanged yet and I'm getting very very nervous.

I know about hairy scarey though, I alternate between being paralyzed with excitement and abject bloody terror...

I finish work on Friday, we have two weeks to sell all our electrical goods and anything else that's not nailed down, and then that's it - me, wife, three small children, we're outta here...

At least you've exchanged, which makes the chances of your sale going through ok much much more likely. If something goes wrong and we can't exchange before we're out in the US, that's when things will start getting a bit tricky!!

Do you keep having the nagging feeling that you've forgotten to do something very important????
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Big Vern
Tell me about it - we're heading off to NC on may 2nd, our buyers haven't even exchanged yet and I'm getting very very nervous.

I know about hairy scarey though, I alternate between being paralyzed with excitement and abject bloody terror...

I finish work on Friday, we have two weeks to sell all our electrical goods and anything else that's not nailed down, and then that's it - me, wife, three small children, we're outta here...

At least you've exchanged, which makes the chances of your sale going through ok much much more likely. If something goes wrong and we can't exchange before we're out in the US, that's when things will start getting a bit tricky!!

Do you keep having the nagging feeling that you've forgotten to do something very important????
Oh yes BIG time! This morning, on our way back from the Doc's after getting our son's second Hep B injection (that I nearly forgot to get), I suddenly got in a panic and thought oh my god we only have a few weeks and I don't even know how to arrange for our NI contributions to continue once we've gone, I need to book the hotel, hire car for when we arrive, and flights (incl 2 moggies). My Huz is taking care of sorting out an apartment. He is also trying to sell some of the last things we can bear to part with and other things like our car/bikes/furniture either through e-bay or local ads.... SO as soon as I got in I started to write a list and I just keep adding to it everytime I think of something to try and keep on top of it (better keep the book by the bed - seem to remember most things around 3am!)

When do you expect to exchange by? Are you in a chain? I really hope it happens for you soon as it will take a huge weight off of your mind. I was slowly going insane waiting for exchange so I sympathise entirely. At least now IF the buyer backs out before completion we'll get a few £K for the trouble but then we'd have to leave the house empty and let the agent sell it... I wouldn't want to do that because people offer silly money on empty houses because they think you are desperate to offload it.

Let us know what happens and good luck
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:16 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

These things always work out in the end...

...but our experience was pretty hair-raising on the house sale thing.

We had a buyer for 3 months before we left the UK. His offer was good and he had completed surveys, mortgage application etc., but he was getting slower and slower about returning documents as we approached exchange of contracts. In the end we failed to exchange before my family and I left the UK for good.

Two weeks later - the day before the agreed exchange date - he pulled out of the deal... and exchanged contracts on the house next-door the next day!

Our house sat on the market for another 6 months. My parents did an amazing job of keeping the estate agents working trying to move it, but we had to sit out 6 long months before we found another buyer.

As you can imagine, the relief when that deal finally went through and the house was sold was quite amazing!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:32 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
At least now IF the buyer backs out before completion we'll get a few £K for the trouble but then we'd have to leave the house empty and let the agent sell it... I wouldn't want to do that because people offer silly money on empty houses because they think you are desperate to offload it.

Let us know what happens and good luck
We left our house empty and unsold. The agents did a good job keeping the viewings up, (possibly because we nagged them a lot) We had the added problem that our house backed onto a very busy dual carriageway (the A303) It was loud when we lived there, it sounded even louder when the house was empty. Thought we'd never sell it! As luck would have it, we got 2 offers at the same time, so a bidding war ensued and we sold for more or less the asking price.