Baffled about shipping quotes

Baffled about shipping quotes

Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Location: Dallas Texas...a few miles away from the Black Country
Ringside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baffled about shipping quotes

Hello all,

I've had quotes from 2 companies regarding the shipping of our goods. I emailed the following email:

Here's the info as follows:

Tipton
West Midlands

To:

Dallas, Texas, USA

Date of move: April 28th 2009. This is the date we are moving, there will still be people in the house after this date though (I understand this may be a little close!).

Items to be shipped:

approx 12 boxes measuring 15.5" x 16.5" x 12"

2 boxes measuring 26" x 15" x 14"

3 boxes measuring 13.5" x 13" x 11.5"

1 box measuring 15.5" x 13" x 8"

We also have one item we are still trying to find a box for which measures roughly 24" x 24" x 10".

Now the items to be sent are a rough guide, they may increase or decrease by the time of the move but only by a little. I understand this will effect the final cost but if you could give me a quote for what I've given you above that will be a great help.

The first response I got was from shipit.co.uk and they estimate £462 EXC insurance. They also stated 1.1 cubic metre used which for all of those boxes doesn't seem right. I did email them back and have them double check the amount of goods being shipped and they said it seems correct and in order. Is there something I'm missing or not understanding about the shipping process that is making me question this estimate?

The other quote we got was from Pickfords and that was for £850.

Thanks all.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baffled about shipping quotes

Sounds about right to me. 1 cubic meter is about 35 cubic feet.

Decent estimate from shipit, I'll have to check them out.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ringside
Hello all,

I've had quotes from 2 companies regarding the shipping of our goods. I emailed the following email:

Here's the info as follows:

Tipton
West Midlands

To:

Dallas, Texas, USA

Date of move: April 28th 2009. This is the date we are moving, there will still be people in the house after this date though (I understand this may be a little close!).

Items to be shipped:

approx 12 boxes measuring 15.5" x 16.5" x 12"

2 boxes measuring 26" x 15" x 14"

3 boxes measuring 13.5" x 13" x 11.5"

1 box measuring 15.5" x 13" x 8"

We also have one item we are still trying to find a box for which measures roughly 24" x 24" x 10".

Now the items to be sent are a rough guide, they may increase or decrease by the time of the move but only by a little. I understand this will effect the final cost but if you could give me a quote for what I've given you above that will be a great help.

The first response I got was from shipit.co.uk and they estimate £462 EXC insurance. They also stated 1.1 cubic metre used which for all of those boxes doesn't seem right. I did email them back and have them double check the amount of goods being shipped and they said it seems correct and in order. Is there something I'm missing or not understanding about the shipping process that is making me question this estimate?

The other quote we got was from Pickfords and that was for £850.

Thanks all.
Can't you just UPS them?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Sounds about right to me. 1 cubic meter is about 35 cubic feet.

Decent estimate from shipit, I'll have to check them out.
aye, but that's without the insurance....how much is the insurance?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

I used shipit when I moved from Slough to Boston in Sept 05

total cost for me was around, hold on let me get the invoice;

Collect and Wrap to Pallets 150 GBP
UK Depot to Boston Depot 304 GBP
Export paperwork Changed including US Customs Clearance 125 GBP
Fumigation @ 20 GBP per Pallet 20 GBP
Insure goods value (650 GBP): 26 GBP
Insurance Premium Tax 1.30 GBP

626.30 Total

2 Trunks
3 Boxes
1 storage bench
Total Volume was 1.67 cubic Meters. remember to make an allowance for the additional wrapping that they do. They put mine on a pallet and then Plastic wrapped it.

is what i packed and I logged everything that went into each box with an approximate value. I can't recall if they needed all that information, but I seem to recall they did for customs reasons and as I did my own packing.

it left mid Sept and I collected it in late Oct.

I found them really easy to use.