Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 26th 2009, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad times in Texas

I want to warn people who are considering moving to Texas, before you go, please do your homework.

I have spent the last 5 years there and have finally admitted defeat and returned to UK.

Make sure you have plenty of available funds and be prepared in case of job losses, because Texas has "hire n fire at will" I worked for Home Depot and Wal-Mart and the salary was quite poor ($10 per hour). I didn't have a college degree and this is the route most Americans take to avoid these jobs.

Food prices are roughly twice what they are in UK, and believe me, they are.
$4.99 for a pineapple and $25 for a few steaks is quite expensive.

Getting adequate healthcare is a nightmare, you cannot afford to be sick here at all. Medical costs can bankrupt you here very quickly, my fiancee was in hospital 4 days with breathing difficulties with asthma and the bill came to $6000. There is no way anyone can afford to pay that.

You have to work a FULL year before getting ONE day off, compared with 5 weeks holiday time in UK. Not easy to work through Easter and Christmas without a break.

Jobs, if you are lucky to find one, are not around the corner, I had to do 100 miles trip a day to work and that cuts into anyones budget.

Remember, Immigrants cannot claim welfare or Medicare for 5 years, and if you become homeless and jobless like we did, its "tough luck, buddy"

and if you think of retiring on a decent income here, you haven't a cat in hells chance, because the Americans have been paying in the Social Security from 16, and if you are 40 something, you will be working well into your late 70's and 80's just like my friends at Wal-Mart, where the greeters were all over 75.

America? No, thank you. I made the right decision and came home to UK.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Were you in Houston?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Were you in Houston?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:11 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just askin'...
Old May 26th 2009, 3:12 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you in Houston?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Although the home truths you say are needed on these boards to prove that life is harsh over here.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Were you in Houston?
Huntsville, 50 miles north of you on I-45
Old May 26th 2009, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Although the home truths you say are needed on these boards to prove that life is harsh over here.

Yeah, queuing up for a Church Soup Kitchen for food and bread because we were not entitled to welfare isn't exactly the American Dream.
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
he's not in Houston
Unmitigated Gall

Texas is big, but not that big.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Food prices are roughly twice what they are in UK, and believe me, they are.
$4.99 for a pineapple and $25 for a few steaks is quite expensive.
How many times does one need a pineapple, and really, how many times does one need $25 worth of steaks?

Loaf of bread: 98 cents, a dozen eggs: 85 cents to a $1. Gas $2.20 a gallon, as opposed to $8 a gallon in Britain or Germany. THOSE are staples one needs much more than a freaking pineapple. And if you can't afford steaks, well, what's wrong with bratwurst?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get to US in first place? What visa did you have?
Sorry it didn't work out. Did you not consider maybe moving to another part of Texas or another State?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kar98
How many times does one need a pineapple, and really, how many times does one need $25 worth of steaks?

Loaf of bread: 98 cents, a dozen eggs: 85 cents to a $1. Gas $2.20 a gallon, as opposed to $8 a gallon in Britain or Germany. THOSE are staples one needs much more than a freaking pineapple. And if you can't afford steaks, well, what's wrong with bratwurst?
Have you seen the bread in USA? its inedible, the size of my fist and it tastes like papier mache. Give me a Warbys Loaf from Lancashire anyday.

Food is very expensive in USA, even ground beef is $5 a tube, and gas @ 2.40 a gallon doing 400 miles a week isnt cheap.

Here I hop on a bus, 15 quid a week, sorted.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98

Don't forget generally you drive many more miles here to get around than you do in the UK...so cost per week/month for petrol is usually around the same.

You also seem to have forgotten about the NHS and SS benefits the UK provide. Most of us would much rather be out of work/money/good health in the UK than here.
Old May 26th 2009, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget generally you drive many more miles here to get around than you do in the UK...so cost per week/month for petrol is usually around the same.

You also seem to have forgotten about the NHS and SS benefits the UK provide. Most of us would much rather be out of work/money/good health in the UK than here.
bingo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.