Reload this Page >

Bacon & Dried Fruit

Bacon & Dried Fruit

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough
Default Bacon & Dried Fruit

Hi

These questions may have been asked already but I tried a search and couldn't find anything - sorry if I'm repeating stuff!

Anyone know where I can buy proper bacon, proper mixed dried fruit (so I can make my Christmas cake) or sultanas (to make my scones) - I've tried golden raisins but they're just not the same.

I live in Oregon but I'm happy to order things over the internet.

Thanks
Lindsey
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

You know when the gasman comes on Christmas eve, takes one look at your knackered boiler and then comes this sharp intake of breath with a slight shake of the head......'fraid you're gonna get the same on this one I think! Decent Bacon - definitely not in our neck of the woods. Ditto for dried fruit - maybe someone can point you at a website, there are plenty around, but I've never used them. Sorry! And good luck with your search!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 2:32 am
Just Joined

liltraveler is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this will help, but I have found it a great help. Here is a link to a bunch of different places you can get imported food all over the country.

http://www.britsinthestates.com/Food.htm
Old Sep 9th 2003, 4:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsey - check out the link on the Atora Suet thread from Taffyles as well - they have what looks like proper bacon...
Old Sep 9th 2003, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone!

I think I've found what I'm after and even Blackjacks and Refreshers too!

Thanks

Lindsey
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishbacon.com/index.html

they are good if a little pricey but woohoooo proper british back bacon n sausages !!

Jan )
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:15 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lins77
Thanks everyone!

I think I've found what I'm after and even Blackjacks and Refreshers too!

Thanks

Lindsey
Did you find your Christmas cake ingredients?? Please tell. I've started looking too and the only website I found was a British one.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:21 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Another good site worth mentioning is.... British Food

and recipe for dried fruit Christmas Cake

Last edited by BrigieDarling; Sep 9th 2003 at 5:25 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ranjini
Did you find your Christmas cake ingredients?? Please tell. I've started looking too and the only website I found was a British one.

I have found one site so far with mixed dried fruit - like you say the rest at British ones.

http://www.flavobrit.com/groceries.html has Whitworth's mixed fruit at the bottom of the page.

Now I've just got to hope that someone other than me will eat some of the Christmas cake!

Lindsey
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:05 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I always relied on Delia. But it begs the question, where do you get your currants, sultanas, mixed peel?

Even worse, ground almonds for marzipan, or failing that, pre-made, rollable marzipan.

Yet to make real fruit cake since I got here, fallen into the American low fat banana cake mould myself.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:10 pm
Banned

I have found one site so far with mixed dried fruit - like you say the rest at British ones.

http://www.flavobrit.com/groceries.html has Whitworth's mixed fruit at the bottom of the page.

Now I've just got to hope that someone other than me will eat some of the Christmas cake!

Lindsey

I found this link with all the dried fruit and nuts, in sufficient quanitities. Have emailed them for postage to the US.
http://www.harvest-gold-wholefoods.c...ipes.html#trad
I haven't made an Xmas cake in four years. I just have to see if all my yanks will enjoy it
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
I always relied on Delia. But it begs the question, where do you get your currants, sultanas, mixed peel?

Even worse, ground almonds for marzipan, or failing that, pre-made, rollable marzipan.

Yet to make real fruit cake since I got here, fallen into the American low fat banana cake mould myself.

I've definitely seen marzipan somewhere but it was about $5 for a small pack - I think it was at Costplus World Market but I'm not positive

Lindsey
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I've definitely seen marzipan somewhere but it was about $5 for a small pack - I think it was at Costplus World Market but I'm not positive

Lindsey

You can get marzipan at Costplus World Market, also in German andother European type delis, if you happen to live in a city with a European immigrant population. They may be a source for the dried fruit, too. Also the Treasure Island stores get that kind of stuff, but I don't know if they exist outside Chicago.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:20 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
You can get marzipan at Costplus World Market, also in German andother European type delis, if you happen to live in a city with a European immigrant population. They may be a source for the dried fruit, too. Also the Treasure Island stores get that kind of stuff, but I don't know if they exist outside Chicago.
I have to check out the Costplus World Market for the other ingredients as well, before I decide to order online..
Old Sep 9th 2003, 6:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales

I've seen marzipan in grocery stores like Harris Teeter and even Kroger (I believe). It's to be found in the same location as sugar, chocolate chips and other baking ingredients.

As for ground almonds, if you have a (coffee) grinder you use for grinding herbs etc. (but not if you solely use it for coffee), you could grind whole almonds that way. It's just a thought...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.