Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Background checks

Background checks

Old Jul 28th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Background checks

Hubby was offered a new job 3 weeks ago, subject to background checks. The head of the dept in the new company really wants him to be there. Police checks were fine (how we would have got our greencards without one), but it is the education checks that are holding things up. He went to college 30 years ago for f**ks sake. And colleges in the UK are closed for the summer. The background checking company are on the west coast and don't seem to be able to try and get in contact with the UK before any college office closes for the day. He did resign his present job to go to this one which he would have started Monday, but has had to withdraw his resignation as he would have been left without a job Just fed up with the whole situation as I know he would have rather moved to the new company as would son and I, but it seems we are stuck here for a while longer. Has anyone else been in this situation before?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background checks

tried contacting the uni's directly yourself? might have more luck that way?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:42 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Hubby was offered a new job 3 weeks ago, subject to background checks. The head of the dept in the new company really wants him to be there. Police checks were fine (how we would have got our greencards without one), but it is the education checks that are holding things up. He went to college 30 years ago for f**ks sake. And colleges in the UK are closed for the summer. The background checking company are on the west coast and don't seem to be able to try and get in contact with the UK before any college office closes for the day. He did resign his present job to go to this one which he would have started Monday, but has had to withdraw his resignation as he would have been left without a job Just fed up with the whole situation as I know he would have rather moved to the new company as would son and I, but it seems we are stuck here for a while longer. Has anyone else been in this situation before?
A lot of these companies are real *****wits.
Despite detailed instructions on how to call the UK from the US and how to deal with the time difference I know for a fact that they were unable to contact several former employers in the UK - fortunately it didn't hold up my job start.
Despite the fact its the summer shouldn't uni's have most of their admin staff there - after all exam results are out in a few weeks. Contact them yourself and get the name and direct line for a helpful person then pass this info onto the background checking muppets.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
A lot of these companies are real *****wits.
Despite detailed instructions on how to call the UK from the US and how to deal with the time difference I know for a fact that they were unable to contact several former employers in the UK - fortunately it didn't hold up my job start.
Despite the fact its the summer shouldn't uni's have most of their admin staff there - after all exam results are out in a few weeks. Contact them yourself and get the name and direct line for a helpful person then pass this info onto the background checking muppets.
There is a 8 hr time difference between the west coast and the UK. They call at 9am EST...5pm GMT...gone home for the day. Best bet is to call them yourself as Bob suggested and ask them to send references to your prospective employer.