Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back to work Boxing Day?

Back to work Boxing Day?

Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:57 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back to work Boxing Day?

NEver ceases to amaze me how so many people go back to, or start trying to book calls/meetings the day AFTER Christmas day. Shite, I'm still hung over and eating Turkey at work wouldn't be the same!

So much hype and so much of all this and that around the build-up and then like wake up the day after you open your pressies and hey presto it's all over.

Thankfully, I'm planning to be off/at home next week, the whole week but it's pretty sad.. IMHO...

What U doing TRADIONALLY English Boxing Day?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Back to work Boxing Day?

I shall do cold turkey with bubble & squeak for Boxing Day lunch along with Haywards piccalli & pickled onions then go to the beach for a long ambling walk. Return late afternoon and do a buffet tea with sausage rolls and hot mince pie & ice cream have invited some neighbours & friends over oh and going to make a trifle as well. We don't go back to work until Friday.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:00 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
I shall do cold turkey with bubble & squeak for Boxing Day lunch along with Haywards piccalli & pickled onions then go to the beach for a long ambling walk. Return late afternoon and do a buffet tea with sausage rolls and hot mince pie & ice cream have invited some neighbours & friends over oh and going to make a trifle as well. We don't go back to work until Friday.
your making my mouth water !!!

I will go for cold turkey, haywards p/onions and pickled red cabbage with fresh homemade french fries....

do you mind if I pop in for the sausage rolls..and the mince pies and ice cream....de-lish
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I have to work Christmas day and New Years. But I did ask for Boxing day off, since for me and kidlet it is still a holiday and I wanted to spend that day with kidlet... especially since it isn't observed here. We're going to play with the new toys that day and we're gonna go out for dinner.

This is the first time in kidlet's 9 years that I have to work on those days (even though it wil only be 9am-1pm most likely), and without family here it is pretty rough on me to be honest.

Then kidlet wasn't happy either so that made it worse. The little one will spend Christmas day at my friend's house and new year's hopefully with a classmate/friend... if not, back to my friend, who has a nice, large and fun family, so that takes some of the sting out of it.

My apologies for the whining... We're going to make the best of it and I'm determined to create some nice childhood memories for the sprog.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Today Friday 21 December a very large section of the UK workforce went off on their Christmas and New Year Holiday shutdown, and will not be back until Wednesday 02 January. A massive exodus by road, rail and air to holiday destinations in the sun, or just slobbing it out at home. Anyway, the cost of all this skiving off on one long jolly to the UK economy is said to be over £21 billions +. Supporters of the 12 day shutdown for many people in a fairly large section of British industry and commerce say that the Brits work the longest hours of any other European country - the strange thing though is that this is not reflected in European productivity statistics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...et-getaway.xml
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Today Friday 21 December a very large section of the UK workforce went off on their Christmas and New Year Holiday shutdown, and will not be back until Wednesday 02 January. A massive exodus by road, rail and air to holiday destinations in the sun, or just slobbing it out at home. Anyway, the cost of all this skiving off on one long jolly to the UK economy is said to be over £21 billions +. Supporters of the 12 day shutdown for many people in a fairly large section of British industry and commerce say that the Brits work the longest hours of any other European country - the strange thing though is that this is not reflected in European productivity statistics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...et-getaway.xml
Thanksgiving seems to be the Christmas equivalent.

I am of Boxing Day, we are travelling back, but to be honest I never likd taking time off at this time of year, cold wet miserable etc etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I will be doing something I have avoided since comming here ! .... that is WORKING
I came home this afternoon and there is no point in going down to do a delivery in PA and not getting home for the main day, so I have been told to stay at home, but will be asked to work Boxing day instead
Still ............ I am off for 4 days
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has to work so the kiddos and I are just going to stay home, veg out, eat leftovers and play with their Chrissie pressies! Can't wait to have a go on the oldest one's guitar hero!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:38 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Today Friday 21 December a very large section of the UK workforce went off on their Christmas and New Year Holiday shutdown, and will not be back until Wednesday 02 January.
Same here in Galveston -- those that work for UTMB, anyway. (I think it's probably a University of Texas system-wide thing, actually.) I think that at least in the academic world, since the students are off home for a two-week break, and a lot of profs do the same thing because there are no classes, the rest of the institution feels that there's not much point being there.

However, this time off is taken from our allocation of holiday days (12, I think), so the rest of the year we don't get many.

Sarah
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
NEver ceases to amaze me how so many people go back to, or start trying to book calls/meetings the day AFTER Christmas day. Shite, I'm still hung over and eating Turkey at work wouldn't be the same!

So much hype and so much of all this and that around the build-up and then like wake up the day after you open your pressies and hey presto it's all over.

Thankfully, I'm planning to be off/at home next week, the whole week but it's pretty sad.. IMHO...

What U doing TRADIONALLY English Boxing Day?

We used to go to my mother in laws for tons of food and pressies....now we do sod all...Christmas is not the same anymore...even with my Grandson here....maybe I miss family a little this time of year...
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 6:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I shall continued my retirement at the British tax payers expense.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:36 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Was asked to come in and work. I replied that its a religious holiday and thanks for the offer, but I won't be in. Until the 2nd.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Back to work Boxing Day?

Will be leaving Boxing Day morning at 2am, to take a bunch of Chicago-based East European Immigrants Skiing in Aspen, CO. They're too tight to stay there, however. We have to commute everyday from Glenwood Springs:curse:

Jim.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:09 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Our company is open but it don't apply to me

We are leaving the cold and snow on 27th for a week in Anaheim/San D I know its only going to be 18c or so but that will do nicely.

Boxing Day we are off but its a tad Billy no mates as we have only been here couple of months.

Normally I would have got up done family visits during the day and gone to the match which this year is Gooners at home:curse: Been well shanted then collapsed at home.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be miserable, because I'm going back to work, I might as well because the missus doesn't get it off, so we're driving back from maine after x-mas dinner....I'll be the only artist around which should be amusing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.