Reload this Page >

Bachelors degree

Bachelors degree

Old May 4th 2008, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

wrightnuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bachelors degree

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just being an accountant does not make someone an expert on qualification equivalency levels.

The list you give is meaningless because "NVQ4" encompasses HNC, HND and first degrees. A HND is definitely a higher qualification than HNC, and a degree is higher than both.

I very much doubt that any qualification assessment service out there will accept AAT as being equivalent to a bachelors degree.
Thank you for the reply, however your "opinion" of whether it is equivalent to a degree or not, isn't at all helpful. It was a simple enquiry which has been answered, ie English and American qualifications are not considered the same.
Old May 4th 2008, 8:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Bachelors degree

Originally Posted by wrightnuk
I was told by an accountant it was equivalent to a bachelors degree, and I found this.

Approximate academic equivalents

NVQ 1 = foundation GNVQ, three to four GCSEs at grades D-E, Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) first certificate.
NVQ 2 = four to five GCSEs at grades A*-C, BTEC first diploma.
NVQ 3 = two or more A levels, BTEC Ordinary National Diploma (OND), City & Guilds Advanced Craft.
NVQ 4 = BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND), or a First Academic Degree (B.Sc., B.A., B.Eng. or other academic degree).
NVQ 5 = postgraduate qualification or higher degree, such as M.Sc., M.A., M.Eng. or Ph.D.
What is the source for the information above? If it is accurate and accepted by UK based employers, I would imagine that the number of people pursuing Bachelor degrees in the UK would be lower than NVQ 5s and somehow, I can't believe that.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply, however your "opinion" of whether it is equivalent to a degree or not, isn't at all helpful. It was a simple enquiry which has been answered, ie English and American qualifications are not considered the same.
You can persist with your own opinion if you wish. There are credential evaluators out there who will compare British and American qualifications.

If you find a reputable evaluation service (member of NACES) prepared to rate AAT as equivalent to an American bachelors degree then we'll all be interested to hear that. But so far you've not shown any evidence that it's even equivalent to a British bachelors degree.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has the AAT qualifications and it's not treated as equivalent to a bachelors in any of the countries we've lived in, including the UK. AAT means you are a qualified accounting technician not a qualified accountant. I'm sure that CIMA or ACCA would be considered as equivalent to a bachelors in some cases. But AAT? Not a chance. Sorry if that isn't the answer you wanted.
Old May 5th 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

shuv78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have AAT and am part qualified CIMA and have been told that my qualifications are equivalent to a US bachelors degree (thank goodness or my company wouldn't have accepted me even though I work for them in the UK). If you work for a big company and they are transferring you they have legal teams to deal with this. Unfortunately I do not know any way around it if you don't have this.

I had a really stressful time tryinging to prove my qualifications were 'worthy' of US standards so don't give up hope...just keep trying. Definitely try the WES website....that would have been my last point of call.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

NVQ's mean toilet paper over here...if it ain't a degree it ain't a degree and getting something converted holds about as much worth as the french military might.

Play to your experiences and your contacts to get you past the initial web site hump is always the best way....
Old May 5th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by an accountant it was equivalent to a bachelors degree, and I found this.

Approximate academic equivalents

NVQ 1 = foundation GNVQ, three to four GCSEs at grades D-E, Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) first certificate.
NVQ 2 = four to five GCSEs at grades A*-C, BTEC first diploma.
NVQ 3 = two or more A levels, BTEC Ordinary National Diploma (OND), City & Guilds Advanced Craft.
NVQ 4 = BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND), or a First Academic Degree (B.Sc., B.A., B.Eng. or other academic degree).
NVQ 5 = postgraduate qualification or higher degree, such as M.Sc., M.A., M.Eng. or Ph.D.
NVQ's are a very British thing (although there is a chance they might do you some good in another commonwealth country); completely not understood and worthless in the US, however.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Can any one tell me if British and American bachelors degrees are the same thing. I have equivalent to bachelors degree in UK but not sure if that qualifies me for the jobs I'm looking at in the US.
If you learned how to use a Search engine in your degree program, you should be able to find that this question has been covered many times before. Search for "degree" in the US Forum.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
According to the UK government's 1997 National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education (Dearing Report):
"The American high school diploma compares in standard with GCSE and the
associate degree with GCE A-level and Advanced GNVQ, the bachelor’s degree with a UK pass degree or higher national diploma and the Master’s degree with a bachelor’s honours degree from a British university."

Your UK Bachelors degree will be viewed as the same as a US degree. You may need to have it "verified" by a company such as WES www.wes.org

WES will basically rubber stamp your degree and provide you with a document that shows that in their "estimation" (I quote) your degree is to be considered the same as a US one. They did this when I had them 'evaluate' my degree.

Hope that helps.

MH
The bit in bold is a load of cods, in my experience. I'm currently teaching honours year students and they don't come close to being equivalent to a US masters, not since the Government decided to open universities to all and sundry, for free (in Scotland, anyway).
Old May 6th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
NVQ's mean toilet paper over here...
I remember they offered GNVQs at my school. Some (not me I should add) had some wonderful interpretations for the acronym:

Getting Nowhere Very Quickly

Generally Not Very Qualified

No insult intended... just couldn't help but laugh

I had a colleague who put on his US resume that his HND was the equivalent of a bachelors. That seemed an incredible stretch!
Old May 7th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The bit in bold is a load of cods, in my experience. I'm currently teaching honours year students and they don't come close to being equivalent to a US masters, not since the Government decided to open universities to all and sundry, for free (in Scotland, anyway).
Where are you working now?

Don't shoot the messenger, I was just cutting and pasting......
Old May 7th 2008, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I remember they offered GNVQs at my school. Some (not me I should add) had some wonderful interpretations for the acronym:

Getting Nowhere Very Quickly

Generally Not Very Qualified

No insult intended... just couldn't help but laugh

I had a colleague who put on his US resume that his HND was the equivalent of a bachelors. That seemed an incredible stretch!
I used to teach in FE and I have to agree with you.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

In most cases the are the same, depends on the company.

Can any one tell me if British and American bachelors degrees are the same thing. I have equivalent to bachelors degree in UK but not sure if that qualifies me for the jobs I'm looking at in the US.